Pitching Helmets

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do the same now, and its not even in the 60's yet. I sweat a lot when pitching, so we'll see how it goes. Buying a few more of the skull caps to have extras for the hot days. Always have the Rip It with me as a backup just in case.
I bought a Halo sweatband for when I ran in South ga. It might be good for you. It has like a rubber gutter on the inside above your face to channel the sweat if to the side. I never tried it with the helmet, but I had a game or two where the liner got so soaked some still ran into my eyes.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why we need an actual standard for this and to have them tested and rated IMO. Will it increase cost, yes. Is another $30 worth it, still by far yes. Assuming you are implying the breakage and cold was due to more brittle plastic, I see that point but if that is the case it probably needs a warning label not to use below x temps or whatever. The real culprit here is obviously a ball that gets 100000 times harder in the cold, but USSSA will tell you in a legal jargon that ball is safe and their bat/ball combos have all been tested and give a pitcher ample time to react. EL OH ****ING EL
I assume he means the ball, and I just had more proof of how dumb the classic m is this past weekend playing wsl. A little warmer and a 44/400 ball made a huge difference in reaction times and the number of oops homeruns I saw. The temperatures difference is negated by the number of utrip d teams playing e in wsl Imo. Still had way more time and made way more plays.

I'll never say never because of my luck, and straight liners I agree. Those knuckling line drives nobody fields 100% though.

Country469

If the ball being colder was the reason it broke vs the plastic being more brittle in the cold then worth is not building an adequate helmet. What happens when someone uses a stadium ball and hits a mask during the summer?

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I got hit in the cup once with a line drive while on 2B.....it dented. I wasn't mad the cup dented, I was thankful I wasn't harmed b/c the cup protected me. IMO same applies here. So the mask broke....the head was protected in the incident....helmet did its job.

Country469

I guess that's one way to look at it. But I'm wondering if it broke like that, what about other kinds of hits? Angles, velocity, mass etc........that can all change. In my time as a first responder, every single time a head injury with a helmet occurred, the hospital wants to look at the helmet. Same thing here. So while I do agree, good thing it worked, you can't really quantify anything that happened (yes boring lab talk now). I guess biggest fear is guys getting lulled into a sense of security that simply isn't true. Hence why I think they need a standard and testing for this sector of the market. As of now, you can wear that helmet, and if you were hit and killed with that helmet on, could you hold anyone responsible for its failure?

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
Really? None of you guys wear the chin strap? I guess the cage doesn’t bother me since I’ve played hockey my entire life so fielding and running with it doesn’t even bother me. Same with the shin guards, depending on my mood ill even leave em on to bat. I skated in them so why should it be any different than me running in them. Neither is really awkward for me.

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
I see we all agree. Pitchers should be safe and wear protection. My direction on this topic is; why don't other companies also put out a helmet? Easton already makes catchers helmets, can't be that different. Or LS, DeMarini?

Here's a couple points I also want to make:

1. If I take one off the helmet, I don't expect it to be pain free, I just don't want do die.

2. If you use a lacrosse helmet, I believe you should strap it up. They're made to move with you. Don't want it wiggling while I run around.

3. I also play club lacrosse in college, I don't want to get hit with either a softball, or lacrosse.

4. I did find my old lacrosse helmet, so don't have to buy a new one. :)

Country469

Really? None of you guys wear the chin strap? I guess the cage doesn’t bother me since I’ve played hockey my entire life so fielding and running with it doesn’t even bother me. Same with the shin guards, depending on my mood ill even leave em on to bat. I skated in them so why should it be any different than me running in them. Neither is really awkward for me.

Running in it would be fine, but like you said, it goes back to life experience. In baseball I always took the mask off so its the same instinct in softball now. Hold in right hand and toss when I know where it needs to go. Lacrosse Mask vs Hockey vs Catchers all feel really different to me tho.

Normy

I see we all agree. Pitchers should be safe and wear protection. My direction on this topic is; why don't other companies also put out a helmet? Easton already makes catchers helmets, can't be that different. Or LS, DeMarini?

1. If I take one off the helmet, I don't expect it to be pain free, I just don't want do die.

2. If you use a lacrosse helmet, I believe you should strap it up. They're made to move with you. Don't want it wiggling while I run around.

3. I also play club lacrosse in college, I don't want to get hit with either a softball, or lacrosse.

I have no idea why other manufacturers aren't following suit. My guess is they probably will before too long.

That's what I feel about point 1. It's gonna ring my bell and hurt like the ****ens. No doubt about it. Same thing with a chest protector. If I get hit square in the sternum, I'm really hoping it'll only result in a nasty bruise or a cracked rib but not death.

AntonChigurh

Yes, it will not be pain free, but you’re walking away.

Lacrosse helmets are meant to be strapped up, similar to a football helmet. It’s up to everyone to decide for themselves what level of risk is acceptable. Kinda like the QBs playing on a Sunday who don’t wear mouth guards or fasten their chin straps.

blakcherry329

I posted a video of me in the helmet moving around. It doesn't move, at all. I'm not taking any more of a risk not using the chin strap. Football players get hit, so the chin strap is necessary. The helmet doesn't move when I move around the infield. I field popups, grounders, cutoffs, etc. never take it off and it doesn't slip, impairing my vision. Ask anyone that doesn't use the strap. If it fits correctly, it should be snug enough to sit securely in place.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

Yeah but you're a stud.....hard to compare you with us mere mortals!

I've suggested the "Mooch is my homeboy" line of pitcher's helmets. He may or may not be working on it.

AntonChigurh

I posted a video of me in the helmet moving around. It doesn't move, at all. I'm not taking any more of a risk not using the chin strap. Football players get hit, so the chin strap is necessary. The helmet doesn't move when I move around the infield. I field popups, grounders, cutoffs, etc. never take it off and it doesn't slip, impairing my vision. Ask anyone that doesn't use the strap. If it fits correctly, it should be snug enough to sit securely in place.
Dont you think that taking a shot to the dome would be an impact?

blakcherry329

yeah, and then I would adjust it back in place. It's not going to knock the helmet off my head. It probably won't even move that much, imo. But I haven't been hit in the helmet, yet, so what do I know. lol

blakcherry329

Helmets move with chin straps too, btw. However, I really don't think a softball is going to spin the helmet around if you get hit, I really don't. Like I said, I'm very confident that I'm adequately protected. If you feel the need to strap up, more power to ya. As long as you feel safe,, it's all good.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it's more of a risk of smashing the cage into your face on a direct hit. Chin strap won't prevent it, but might lessen the impact. Mine fits so snug, it doesn't move at all without the strap, and I move around the infield quite a bit.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it's more of a risk of smashing the cage into your face on a direct hit. Chin strap won't prevent it, but might lessen the impact. Mine fits so snug, it doesn't move at all without the strap, and I move around the infield quite a bit.
This is the purpose of the chin strap. I'm not sure why people are talking about the helmet moving while running around. You don't fall out of your car when driving around without a seat belt either, but you better have it on when you crash.

Dogue

Evil Genius
But there won't be a follow up shot coming at you so you can adjust. It's not like football where you see a guy loose his helmet then still be in on a play with just his bare head...well, unless a fielder gets the deflected ball then tries throwing the batter out and also hits you in the head.

catomi01

Late to the party - but I always wore a goalie mask and had no issues until I started playing modified - for that it just moved around too much. Just switched to a lacrosse helmet with the chin strap, and its much better. Only play I felt an issue on was a pop-up - didn't feel like i zeroed in on it too quickly, but I'm pretty shaky on them anyway, so i wouldn't read much into that. Ironically, played for years with the goalie mask (and before that with nothing) without getting hit...3rd game with the lacrosse mask, and I took a one hopped off the turf right into the cage...did its job and I'm none the worse for the wear.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the purpose of the chin strap. I'm not sure why people are talking about the helmet moving while running around. You don't fall out of your car when driving around without a seat belt either, but you better have it on when you crash.
And whether it bothers you or not, you absolutely slide around the seat while cornering without it on.