Questions about 44pro

das028

Wife got me a gift certificate for my bday, so ill be ordering my first custom soon.

Any advantage to getting the kip palm liner? Also do these gloves measure true to size? I'll be getting the signature series softball pattern and cant decide to go with a 13in or a 13.5in. My current gamer is a 14 in easton pro which is broken in really deep and doesnt play that long compared to other larger gloves. I play outfield and 1B.

mpk

Extra Hitter
I'm on my 2nd 44 Pro. First was a signature series, second was a classic series. Both were true to size for me. I got a modified trap (they call it a T web) on the 2nd one and the pocket is pretty deep.

I would get the kip palm liner. The standard palm liner is nothing special and the kip one is only an extra $10. After a year's light use on mine, it looked much older than that. I think it will also make the glove stiffer but I can't confirm that.

They run 15-20% off sales regularly so it's worth waiting to catch one. You can scroll back on their instagram to get an idea of when the next one might be. Probably Halloween. Last year they did 25% off on black Friday if you can wait that long.

GL with your build, I'm sure you'll like it. Post some pics when it comes.

Adam22

how is the quality on 44pros compared to other custom options in a similar price range? Gloveworks for instance

NYC

Swag on 100.
how is the quality on 44pros compared to other custom options in a similar price range? Gloveworks for instance
I've heard that the USA made Gloveworks are as good as it gets as far as customs go, never had one personally though.

Sloth91

if you play 1st and outfield i would get a 13.5" h-web, or at least a modified trap so you have that top bar in the infield. go for the kip palm liner on the signature series like mpk said. literally every holiday they have a 20% off sale so just wait for thanksgiving. if you have any questions or anything feel free to shoot me a pm, i own several and have been buying them for a while

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
I've heard that the USA made Gloveworks are as good as it gets as far as customs go, never had one personally though.

“USA made Gloveworks”??? Da’hell!!!
I think you are thinking “Glovesmith” for made in the USA.
Gloveworks if I recall are made in China and from what I’ve seen and read, they are on par with 44 Gloves

Bow Commander

Think he means the Gloveworks and Davis collaboration gloves. Made overseas then Davis laces and assembles in the states. Great stuff.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Think he means the Gloveworks and Davis collaboration gloves. Made overseas then Davis laces and assembles in the states. Great stuff.
Kinda like that Ford nonsense when they started contracting out overseas in the early 80’s, “International parts BUT assembled in the USA”... o_O

das028

Im really digging the look of the oiled chestnut. You guys think it will be significantly heavier? What about holding its shape? Will it get floppier quicker then the tan leather?

NYC

Swag on 100.
“USA made Gloveworks”??? Da’hell!!!
I think you are thinking “Glovesmith” for made in the USA.
Gloveworks if I recall are made in China and from what I’ve seen and read, they are on par with 44 Gloves
Ah yes, Glovesmith is what I had in mind.

NYC

Swag on 100.
but even glovesmith and Vinci for example, are all 4 of those brands pretty similar in quality of their customs?
I only have first hand knowledge of Rawlings and Wilson customs, but I've read good things about about all 4 of those other brands especially the USA made Glovesmith. I would love to see one in person.

Sloth91

Im really digging the look of the oiled chestnut. You guys think it will be significantly heavier? What about holding its shape? Will it get floppier quicker then the tan leather?

not at all. just be careful with conditioners/oils depending on the colors you get. check out "benny miller" on youtube, he works for 44 and posts a lot of great information about break-in, care and other stuff about 44's

mpk

Extra Hitter

Don't own an oiled chestnut but I've handled one for a few minutes. IMO it doesn't look as nice in person - it seems to scuff quite easily. Looks great on Instagram though!

Sloth91

Don't own an oiled chestnut but I've handled one for a few minutes. IMO it doesn't look as nice in person - it seems to scuff quite easily. Looks great on Instagram though!

it definitely doesn't look quite as nice as the photos they show, but i think it varies a LOT because my brother and i both have oiled chestnut and they look totally different. playing infield, i can verify it does scuff easier than at least the tan and the black, but i beat mine up and it's still beautiful. i'll grab mine out of my bag in a bit and edit this post with a picture

edit: added link with pictures. the lighting is pretty bright in my kitchen so i added a couple with my tan trapeze to show the color difference

https://i.imgur.com/4kya661.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lO8K2Wm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uBKf4lV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/94Sn2Sd.jpg

Last edited:

das028

it definitely doesn't look quite as nice as the photos they show, but i think it varies a LOT because my brother and i both have oiled chestnut and they look totally different. playing infield, i can verify it does scuff easier than at least the tan and the black, but i beat mine up and it's still beautiful. i'll grab mine out of my bag in a bit and edit this post with a picture
Pleas do. Just ordered mine last night. Oiled chestnut, blonde welting, gold stiching

das028

Just came in. Ordered and delivered to my door in under 3 weeks! My first impressions are, holy **** this thing is stiff! Leather quality seems to be nice, very smooth. Glove is lighter then I imagined, but im used to my Easton slowpitch pro which is a tank. Craftmanship is there. Came exactly as i ordered. Going to be fun breaking this thing in over the winter Resized_20181015_165840_5539.jpg

Party mafia

Just came in. Ordered and delivered to my door in under 3 weeks! My first impressions are, holy **** this thing is stiff! Leather quality seems to be nice, very smooth. Glove is lighter then I imagined, but im used to my Easton slowpitch pro which is a tank. Craftmanship is there. Came exactly as i ordered. Going to be fun breaking this thing in over the winter View attachment 53042
What kind of liner does it uses inside the hand stall? Nice glove btw. Could you take a picture with a sb in the pocket?

das028

What kind of liner does it uses inside the hand stall? Nice glove btw. Could you take a picture with a sb in the pocket?
Mine has the kip liner option, which is an extra $10. I believe the stock option uses steerhide.

Sure, ill take a pic. Ive stepped out the house for a few hrs, but illl do it when i get back

mpk

Extra Hitter
Signature series or JP11? Asking cuz it has the dual welting between the index and middle finger. Looks massive with the ball in it!

How do you like the oiled chestnut?

das028

Signature series or JP11? Asking cuz it has the dual welting between the index and middle finger. Looks massive with the ball in it!
Signature series.
How do you like the oiled chestnut?
It is massive, but i expect it to loose some length as i form the pocket how i like.
Oiled chestnut looks good. It does say on the website that shades may vary from glove to glove in this finish. It looks like mine is a slighty lighter shade, as ive seen darker. Im happy with it though

Last edited:
I'm on my 2nd 44 Pro. First was a signature series, second was a classic series. Both were true to size for me. I got a modified trap (they call it a T web) on the 2nd one and the pocket is pretty deep.

I would get the kip palm liner. The standard palm liner is nothing special and the kip one is only an extra $10. After a year's light use on mine, it looked much older than that. I think it will also make the glove stiffer but I can't confirm that.

They run 15-20% off sales regularly so it's worth waiting to catch one. You can scroll back on their instagram to get an idea of when the next one might be. Probably Halloween. Last year they did 25% off on black Friday if you can wait that long.

GL with your build, I'm sure you'll like it. Post some pics when it comes.

So glad I found this thread. I've been playing with the 44 custom builder, and am undecided which one to order (Classic vs Signature). I understand the Signature is a better quality glove, and price is not really an issue, only like $40 more. My only concern is break in time, as I currently only play once a week, twice as the most. How long would it take me to break in a Signature series? And, if I go with the Classic for the easier break in, how much am I really sacrificing in terms of quality? Thanks.

mpk

Extra Hitter
If they left the grommets alone, fewer people would microwave their gloves.

So glad I found this thread. I've been playing with the 44 custom builder, and am undecided which one to order (Classic vs Signature). I understand the Signature is a better quality glove, and price is not really an issue, only like $40 more. My only concern is break in time, as I currently only play once a week, twice as the most. How long would it take me to break in a Signature series? And, if I go with the Classic for the easier break in, how much am I really sacrificing in terms of quality? Thanks.

I think it just depends a little bit on how you plan to break in your glove. Are you just going to play catch or will you dunk it, pound, condition, etc.? The signature series will come very stiff, but mine loosened up to be gameable reasonably quick after pouring some hot water on the palm (aka ASO method) if I remember right. The classic series will be gameable pretty quickly, within a week if you work on it every day, maybe sooner. The classic series is a nice glove for the money but not really in the same class as the Signature or a HOH, a2000 etc. Not really made to last, like the others.

I think the only real reason to get a classic is to save some $$$s or if you want something that is gameable super quick. If you have a couple weeks to work on the Signature, I'd get that one.

BTW, gloveworks is also having a 20% off sale right now. Trying to decide if I want to give them a try as well.

GL with your build.