Fireflex 3?

Hagen49

They went to what they call extra long fibers in the composite. Theoretically this should make the composite flex easier which should create even more pop. My buddy has one, but hasn't swung it enough to really decide if he likes it or not.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
Damn Easton coming out with updates twice a year now. I'm waiting to see if a new VET comes out this year. I like how the slightly shorter barrel feels.

Hagen49

Damn Easton coming out with updates twice a year now. I'm waiting to see if a new VET comes out this year. I like how the slightly shorter barrel feels.
I did see an ad pop up today for a new Helmer 100H with a 12 inch barrel.

lakeyale13

Manager
I may try the Wild FireFlex. Just don't know if I should go Balanced or loaded.

Get a Wild FireFlex and support the site!!! I picked one up. I got the 26.5 end load. It has a slight end load, not as much as I would prefer. If you like a balanced bat I don't think you would be too disappointed with it.

After a couple live round of BP and Tee work, the WFF is fantastic. Plenty of pop and a huge sweet spot. Also, I think it might have the nicest sounding "crack" of any bat I have swung. Highly highly recommend.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
They went to what they call extra long fibers in the composite. Theoretically this should make the composite flex easier which should create even more pop. My buddy has one, but hasn't swung it enough to really decide if he likes it or not.

Last I checked, 220 was still the pass/fail threshold. Companies can't really make their bats hotter than they are now. In fact, Easton has a problem on their hands. That problem being that a lot of their bats fail compression testing incredibly fast.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Last I checked, 220 was still the pass/fail threshold. Companies can't really make their bats hotter than they are now. In fact, Easton has a problem on their hands. That problem being that a lot of their bats fail compression testing incredibly fast.
I think you need to remind guys on here that compression numbers are not universal in regards to performance.
We both know that a Salvo that test at 275 can still perform very well.
Had a Kirby that tested 285 that was killin the ball and the guys at a tournament we played in
couldnt believe that a bat that test that high could perform well..

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I think you need to remind guys on here that compression numbers are not universal in regards to performance.
We both know that a Salvo that test at 275 can still perform very well.
Had a Kirby that tested 285 that was killin the ball and the guys at a tournament we played in
couldnt believe that a bat that test that high could perform well..

Compression numbers ARE universal in performance for guys who have slow swing speeds. I've had bats test at 300 or more and still hit decently. Now, I guarantee those same bats would be total fence posts for guys with little batspeed.

D-ROCK13

Compression numbers ARE universal in performance for guys who have slow swing speeds. I've had bats test at 300 or more and still hit decently. Now, I guarantee those same bats would be total fence posts for guys with little batspeed.
I agree completely... I have an old Dudley single wall that is 34 oz and a ton of endload, was never a great bat but heavy, so I stuck a warm up weight on it and people dry swing it. So we had a younger kid fill in that was clueless about any rules,but played baseball his whole life. He knocked the weight of the Dudley, before anyone could warn him,he hit a hot dot .52 at least 350ft. The ump picked it up and shook his head and warned us not to use illegal bats LOL That kid had amazing bat speed to say the least

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I agree completely... I have an old Dudley single wall that is 34 oz and a ton of endload, was never a great bat but heavy, so I stuck a warm up weight on it and people dry swing it. So we had a younger kid fill in that was clueless about any rules,but played baseball his whole life. He knocked the weight of the Dudley, before anyone could warn him,he hit a hot dot .52 at least 350ft. The ump picked it up and shook his head and warned us not to use illegal bats LOL That kid had amazing bat speed to say the least

I guess my real point was, new bats like the Fireflex take pretty much no batspeed to hit effectively with. I've swung them and they're idiotic ridiculous. They probably come out of the wrapper at 250 and get down around 220 in 50 swings or less.

Call me crazy, but I honestly feel like a bat is past its peak when it hits 220. I've swung bats at the pass/fail line and they have a really mushy feel, like the walls are flexing so much that they aren't propelling the ball properly. Again, that comes down to batspeed. Guys with slow bat speed are going to think that 220 compression bats are the hottest thing ever.

Its like swinging a senior bat really hard. I don't know what those test at, but they actually hit WORSE if you swing really hard. The ball knuckles off wildly and the bat feels like its folding in half around the ball at contact. Senior bats are made to go under 200 compression. They're made that way to accommodate.... you guessed it.... the lack of batspeed generated by most senior hitters. Couple those bats with a hard ball, and you get guys with piss poor slow swings still going 400'.

D-ROCK13

I guess my real point was, new bats like the Fireflex take pretty much no batspeed to hit effectively with. I've swung them and they're idiotic ridiculous. They probably come out of the wrapper at 250 and get down around 220 in 50 swings or less.

Call me crazy, but I honestly feel like a bat is past its peak when it hits 220. I've swung bats at the pass/fail line and they have a really mushy feel, like the walls are flexing so much that they aren't propelling the ball properly. Again, that comes down to batspeed. Guys with slow bat speed are going to think that 220 compression bats are the hottest thing ever.

Its like swinging a senior bat really hard. I don't know what those test at, but they actually hit WORSE if you swing really hard. The ball knuckles off wildly and the bat feels like its folding in half around the ball at contact. Senior bats are made to go under 200 compression. They're made that way to accommodate.... you guessed it.... the lack of batspeed generated by most senior hitters. Couple those bats with a hard ball, and you get guys with piss poor slow swings still going 400'.

Yup, it's amazing how hot bats have become, especially when hitting the harder balls. I've seen some usssa get to 180 actually and survive.

I agree, seems like once bats get to or below the pass/fail mark, they lose a lot of feedback and feel overly soft and almost fragile. I've never swung a senior bat so cant speak on those yet lol

mvfjet

Part Time Player

I can second this from experience. Last night I swung at a short and outside pitch as a right handed hitter so I was on my front foot for the swing. I must've gotten all sweet spot because that ****er sailed and totally fooled the RCFer. He must've read my swing because he broke in then it was too late as it was over him. Probably one of the crappiest swings I've ever put on a ball. My FF VET was used for one BP session and has been in the bag for games only and it is definitely the hottest most forgiving bat I have ever swung.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I can second this from experience. Last night I swung at a short and outside pitch as a right handed hitter so I was on my front foot for the swing. I must've gotten all sweet spot because that ****er sailed and totally fooled the RCFer. He must've read my swing because he broke in then it was too late as it was over him. Probably one of the crappiest swings I've ever put on a ball. My FF VET was used for one BP session and has been in the bag for games only and it is definitely the hottest most forgiving bat I have ever swung.

Yeah, today's bats definitely mask poor hitting mechanics and lack of batspeed.

Senior bats are ridiculous, but they reach a point of diminishing returns if they get too broken in or you swing them too hard. VERY flexible barrels on those.

IMO, the only real way for softball sanctions to bring real sanity back to the game is to make the new pass/fail standard at LEAST 280. Maybe even 300. Make guys earn a good hit.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
IMO, the only real way for softball sanctions to bring real sanity back to the game is to make the new pass/fail standard at LEAST 280. Maybe even 300. Make guys earn a good hit.

I know we'll never see it, but alloy bats would solve the problem. You peel the wrapper and they're as good as they'll ever be, no breaking in and getting better over time.

And the only way to hit a ball harder with an alloy is to... hit it harder. What a concept.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
I know we'll never see it, but alloy bats would solve the problem. You peel the wrapper and they're as good as they'll ever be, no breaking in and getting better over time.

And the only way to hit a ball harder with an alloy is to... hit it harder. What a concept.
Thats the way it was back in the mid '90's when i started playing slow pitch. If you wanted to hit the ball harder and farther, you worked out in offseason on your strength. There were limited decent alloy bats back then, so if anyone hit it out, you knew they worked for it.

Last edited:

lakeyale13

Manager
Thats the way it was back in the mid '90's when i started playing slow pitch. If you wanted to hit the ball harder and farther, you worked out in offseason on your strength. There were limited decent alloy bats back then, so if anyone hit it out, you knew they worked for it.

Dude! So true! I work out, and have been for 20 years. Nothing special about me, but the work I have put in has me a bit bigger and stronger than your average bear. Again, not because I'm special, just that I have put in the work.

I always laugh at how after a round of BP, guys will ask me all kinds of questions about my bats. "So is that the hottest bat that Miken has?" "Is that bat just filthy broken in!?". Nope. It isn't the bat. Just a guy that has put in the work to be able to hit the ball a bit harder and farther than your average player. But don't look at the guy that is 6'2" and a fit 230lbs. It must be the bat. LOL

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Dude! So true! I work out, and have been for 20 years. Nothing special about me, but the work I have put in has me a bit bigger and stronger than your average bear. Again, not because I'm special, just that I have put in the work.

I always laugh at how after a round of BP, guys will ask me all kinds of questions about my bats. "So is that the hottest bat that Miken has?" "Is that bat just filthy broken in!?". Nope. It isn't the bat. Just a guy that has put in the work to be able to hit the ball a bit harder and farther than your average player. But don't look at the guy that is 6'2" and a fit 230lbs. It must be the bat. LOL
Back then i was a lean 6'3" 215 and worked out all the time. 20 years later and 30 lbs heavier and i still get questioned when i use my old aluminum bats for bp and tee work. Guys laugh when i bring out my old 2 piece Worth Prodigy and then go quiet when im still hitting 300ft plus bombs with it. I had a team mate say imagine how much further that ball would have gone if i used my Freak 30. I replied its over the fence so what difference does it make? By the way im 54 yrs old this year.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Back then i was a lean 6'3" 215 and worked out all the time. 20 years later and 30 lbs heavier and i still get questioned when i use my old aluminum bats for bp and tee work. Guys laugh when i bring out my old 2 piece Worth Prodigy and then go quiet when im still hitting 300ft plus bombs with it. I had a team mate say imagine how much further that ball would have gone if i used my Freak 30. I replied its over the fence so what difference does it make? By the way im 54 yrs old this year.

These yungsters need to respect the old school
0.jpg

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
Lol. Couldnt agree with you more. An old coach told me "its not the bat, its the operator..". That was back when i was playing peewee ball. It has stuck with me for over 40 years.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Lol. Couldnt agree with you more. An old coach told me "its not the bat, its the operator..". That was back when i was playing peewee ball. It has stuck with me for over 40 years.
These clowns are getting away with MURDER with these new tech bats.....
What is even worse is that many of them are shaving these bats and STILL cannot hit a HR...
SMH

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
These clowns are getting away with MURDER with these new tech bats.....
What is even worse is that many of them are shaving these bats and STILL cannot hit a HR...
SMH
I still dont understand why someone would spend so much money on these new bats that have a limited lifespan, then shave it just to have a few moments of glory. Doesn't make sense to me. I have purchased 2 Mikens ('17 Freak 30 and a '16 Freak 12) and most recently an '18 Jason Branch Legit over the past 3 yrs and i want them to last as long as possible. I use them sparingly so i can enjoy them and get my moneys worth out of them. IMO they perform great out of the wrapper so im not going to alter them just for the sake of an extra 30 feet of distance.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I still dont understand why someone would spend so much money on these new bats that have a limited lifespan, then shave it just to have a few moments of glory. Doesn't make sense to me. I have purchased 2 Mikens ('17 Freak 30 and a '16 Freak 12) and most recently an '18 Jason Branch Legit over the past 3 yrs and i want them to last as long as possible. I use them sparingly so i can enjoy them and get my moneys worth out of them. IMO they perform great out of the wrapper so im not going to alter them just for the sake of an extra 30 feet of distance.

I've always swung oldschool Eastons that needed a tonne of break-in. With two kids and limited time on my hands, I started swinging Worth/Miken late last season. I'm not even BPing them. On the rare occasion I get out to hit this year I'm swinging strictly wood bats.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
I've always swung oldschool Eastons that needed a tonne of break-in. With two kids and limited time on my hands, I started swinging Worth/Miken late last season. I'm not even BPing them. On the rare occasion I get out to hit this year I'm swinging strictly wood bats.
i hear you there. Life does get in the way sometimes. Im still BPing my '14 L5 because after god knows how many hits it has, it just wont die. I still haven't broken in my Branch Legit yet because of the weather but judging by everyones opinion, it wont need much. As for my CV12 collection, they are great for BP and tee work with no worries of failure.

lakeyale13

Manager
These yungsters need to respect the old school
0.jpg

LOL. So True. It is odd having witnessed the end of essentially two era's of a sport. I started playing at the tail end of the alloy bat era and witnessed the introduction of composites. Then witnessed the 2016+ era of composites.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
LOL. So True. It is odd having witnessed the end of essentially two era's of a sport. I started playing at the tail end of the alloy bat era and witnessed the introduction of composites. Then witnessed the 2016+ era of composites.
i personally think the performance of these newer composite bats has plateaued unless there is a change in either rule changing concerning compression or material technology where compression can be maintained without breaking down. Bring back the IMX lol.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
I actually play with some guys that use nothing but shaved sticks. To them it's just a way of life. I don't like it and it makes me sick. There's also some guys we play against on league night where we can tell they're using shavers just by the sound. I'm not being ageist but when a 5'5" 60 year who can't even run is going oppo 300' then something is off. I don't know maybe you guys see this all the time but oppo HRs are pretty rare on our fields even from the young guys.

4xtra

Player/Coach
I actually play with some guys that use nothing but shaved sticks. To them it's just a way of life. I don't like it and it makes me sick. There's also some guys we play against on league night where we can tell they're using shavers just by the sound. I'm not being ageist but when a 5'5" 60 year who can't even run is going oppo 300' then something is off. I don't know maybe you guys see this all the time but oppo HRs are pretty rare on our fields even from the young guys.
Most leagues do not test bats but if they tested every league, ASA and USSSA,
I know of some leagues that would have to FOLD because so many of them swing glass.

One of the ASA leagues I'm in is very strict about testing and I actually kinda like that.
If someone feels the need to shave a 2019 bat, they need to go ahead and retire.
These 2019 sticks, especially when they are broken in are absolutely insane.
My 19Juggy ASA is so hot, I actually have to hit it away from the female players
in the infield because the ball comes off the bat so hot.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
Most leagues do not test bats but if they tested every league, ASA and USSSA,
I know of some leagues that would have to FOLD because so many of them swing glass.

One of the ASA leagues I'm in is very strict about testing and I actually kinda like that.
If someone feels the need to shave a 2019 bat, they need to go ahead and retire.
These 2019 sticks, especially when they are broken in are absolutely insane.
My 19Juggy ASA is so hot, I actually have to hit it away from the female players
in the infield because the ball comes off the bat so hot.

One team we played against didn't sign up for Spring season because they would start testing bats if 1)they lit up the opposing pitcher 2)we call the bat out. This team would hit 400'-450' moon shots up and down the line up. I play with one of the guys on that team and he admitted they're cheaters. I also think it's stupid AF to cheat on league night when most guys are out there just to have fun.