Learning the long ball! Have questions.

tonys1

So you hit an accidental HR and you liked it? Shocking!

Start by changing bats, the newer tech is made for the new ball (assuming you're playing with .52). Don't be what you're not though, don't stop taking walks, getting on base because all of a sudden you see yourself as this big hero home run hitter - if it happens, it happens.

The store you tried to reference that is named after a man's genitals sells garbage bats. Just PM @milocoman and he'll set you up and all those bats have a 1 year warranty.

Trappe

View attachment 59709 Earlier this year I was using a team bat, and mistimed the ball - but I sent it to the fence. I am pretty sure it was a 26oz balanced bat.

Ever since then I was hooked!

I have never needed or gone yard ever. That one swing got me so close I could taste it.

I am the stereo typical lead off batter that hits to all fields with a high OBP. I mainly swing the team bat and it’s usually a lightweight balanced bat.

I have been experimenting with 3 very old bats. Ive noticed 26oz bats did not help me with distance, so I moved up in weight 28oz. The end loaded bat use to wreak havoc on my elbow. After some specific muscle training - not so much now.

I finally put to test my swing and went yard twice. 1 left field (inside pitch) and 1 right field (outside pitch).

Mind you, I am not using new technology bats - which I plan on changing. So I am shopping around.

Does ****s’s or any other store sell bat warranties?

In the beginning all 3 bats would give me equal distance. I only used the end loaded during the game. I think my swing finally advanced to take advance of the end load.

Is there a specific technical swing going from an balanced to an end load? I feel I can squeeze out 20ft more.

Will going 30oz add more distance? I kind of want a bat that no one else on the team will swing.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Advice.... forget the equipment and start stroking a wood bat... really find ur swing.... every hitch, every snap, every step, every I side and outside pitch! When ur swinging that bat like it's no one business! Ta where u never drag a barrel, drop ur hands, pull it head, or dip! And when you rack a piss missile with that wood bat start focusing on equipment! Advice again... dont get wrapped up in equipment when the number one factor of equipment is the athlete!!!!
I did this... I'm 180 5,10 and I can and I will rack a 300 piss missile! With wood! And now bats are just another perk to bring more enjoyment!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Advice.... forget the equipment and start stroking a wood bat... really find ur swing.... every hitch, every snap, every step, every I side and outside pitch! When ur swinging that bat like it's no one business! Ta where u never drag a barrel, drop ur hands, pull it head, or dip! And when you rack a piss missile with that wood bat start focusing on equipment! Advice again... dont get wrapped up in equipment when the number one factor of equipment is the athlete!!!!
I did this... I'm 180 5,10 and I can and I will rack a 300 piss missile! With wood! And now bats are just another perk to bring more enjoyment!

Bizarre wording, but I agree. Teaching yourself how to successfully hit BP with a wood bat will only help. You'll learn how to find a small barrel and spin the ball consistently.

T Dot

Extra Hitter

Bizarre wording, but I agree. Teaching yourself how to successfully hit BP with a wood bat will only help. You'll learn how to find a small barrel and spin the ball consistently.

Thank you! Any wooden bats that you would recommend for BP?

I have been going to the cages and working on my timing and bat drag. Unfortunately the cages are so tight that I cannot work on my snap follow through or I will hit the other cage. My timing for oppo is getting much better, and I am dropping the back shoulder less and less.

As for the spin - I have never spun the ball before, so I am not sure where to start. It is something I am looking forward to down the line (but it may be way down the line).

dunkky

I have been going to the cages and working on my timing and bat drag. Unfortunately the cages are so tight that I cannot work on my snap follow through or I will hit the other cage. My timing for oppo is getting much better, and I am dropping the back shoulder less and less.

As for the spin - I have never spun the ball before, so I am not sure where to start. It is something I am looking forward to down the line (but it may be way down the line).

Just post a video of you swing. I mean, you will save yourself a lot time and you will get much better constructive feedback. Bat is no longer the dominant factor when it comes to performance.

Trappe

T Dot

Extra Hitter
Just hit singles and turn doubles by sliding. If you’re lucky you’ll get a triple and every now and then a HR.

I relegate myself to doing that right now. Still very fun.

Biggest issue I usually have are runners stopping at 2nd or don't make that wide 3rd base turn so I can cruise into 2nd. Lead offs are a new thing to me, my other leagues never allowed them. I am comfortable at taking a super aggressive lead every time I am on base. I use that to advance from 1st to 3rd or from 1st to home.

My long ball swing is improving but it's not game ready.

dunkky

what I learned from this site for hitting long balls.

1. Just get 27oz above endload bat.
2. make sure you get the right pitch. below chest and belly button
3. Level swing or slight upward. if hit right place, ball will be cut.
4. Have a good arm ext followed by a strong follow through.
5. look up and admire your 301 bomb.

that doesn't work, post video of your swing.

Redsfan

Hitting home runs is sort of like dunking a basketball. You either have the physical tools or you don't. Most of the experienced guys on here will tell you they would take a guy batting .700 who can't HR over the guy who bats .400 who can.

Country469

real talk here;

I reached a level of play where hitting a home run was no big deal, and was actually EXPECTED of you when the bags are full.

Thats fun. No reward and all pressure.

I'd gladly give up the skill to be rid of hitting dbo line drives and ish forever.

dunkky

That same experience guys will tell you 140 pounder with bad swing still clears 300 with modern bats.

so, softball HR is definitely not equal to dunking a basketball from all aspects

op wants to add one more attribute to his game for fun. Doesn't automatically translate that into sacrificing his other skills.

Country469

I mean it is dunky, but you younger guys changed the equipment enough most of you do it on accident. not on purpose.

90% of the time someone d and below hits one out they just free swing and hoped.

Redsfan

I play fall league on a baseball field. 327-382-325. Pretty much eliminates the miss hit HR from the 140lb guy. Some of the softball fields around here have started moving fences back. My other league is 310 all around.

You will probably see this happen in more places. Just like when golf equipment got better they moved the tee boxes back.

Last edited:

tonys1

I play fall league on a baseball field. 327-382-325. Pretty much eliminates the miss hit HR from the 140lb guy. Some of the softball fields around here have started moving fences back. My other league is 310 all around.

You will probably see this happen in more places. Just like when golf equipment got better they moved the tee boxes back.

Just hit Evil balls and your balls will never get out. @Bobby Buggs

Hiltz

Built for comfort

All of our local fields are town/municipality owned, meaning they're the size they are and they're never changing. Most were around when aluminum bats with rolled ends were the norm, and they're sized accordingly (255' - 275' fences). Every year our "competitive" men's league loses players; we went from 10 teams, to 8, to 6... next year the league is most likely folding. Meanwhile our 35+ wood bat league has people fighting to get in.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I wish I could help........But, I don't know anything about hitting.......But, in my own limited experience I want a ball near my chest that I don't have to lift, not one at my hips, to drive the ball out of the ball park.

blakcherry329

We only had open fields, when I started playing waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day. So we learned how to hit line drives if they played too deep. Then when they tried to cheat in, that's when we would swing for the "fences". Nowadays everywhere has a fence so guys can pump themselves up hitting a HR. It's unbelievable how much bitching and moaning there is about playing on an open field. Nobody knows how to hit anymore. smh

Hiltz

Built for comfort
God I would kill to have a 35+ wood bat league here in Roanoke

Im suprised they exist to be honest, most guys 40 and under cant fathom that kind of ego hit

The pendulum is swinging the other way around here, guys in their 20's and 30's are actually fighting to get the local leagues switched over to wood. And the last year or two all the little fundraiser tournies were wood bat; no drop in number of teams and a whole bunch of younger guys amazed that softball can be fun and defense can matter.

It's unbelievable how much bitching and moaning there is about playing on an open field. Nobody knows how to hit anymore. smh

You know what's even worse? 260' fence with USSSA bats and homerun limits. You see guys spending hundreds of dollars on bats and then taking ugly, downward chops at the ball trying to NOT hit it far.

blakcherry329

The pendulum is swinging the other way around here, guys in their 20's and 30's are actually fighting to get the local leagues switched over to wood. And the last year or two all the little fundraiser tournies were wood bat; no drop in number of teams and a whole bunch of younger guys amazed that softball can be fun and defense can matter.

You know what's even worse? 260' fence with USSSA bats and homerun limits. You see guys spending hundreds of dollars on bats and then taking ugly, downward chops at the ball trying to NOT hit it far.
Exactly. Softball is softball. I play a lot of Clincher softball. Just as enjoyable, even though the ball doesn't go 300' every hit. That and it's Modified pitching.;)

dunkky

250 tourney with unlimited is another joke imo. might as well let them use shaved bats as well.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I couldn't imagine playing on 260 ft fences. Hell we ran out of our 4 HR's last Sunday in the first inning on a 310 fence.

It's terrible because there are plenty of guys that can hit it 300'+. You see them walking the box and Ichiro-slapping oppo, swinging down at a 45, taking half-swings and trying to bloop over the infield... all while holding a Freak30 or a Legit. It's like paying for a Ferrari and then racing it on a dirt track with a speed limit.

The wood bat league is a different story because we use .40 COR balls. If you ever want to be humbled try hitting those with a wood bat. 270' is a shot with that combo.