Infield fly rule clarification

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I beleive it has been explained by a couple of umps here. Post # 14 explains a scenario if whichever ump made the call they may or may not reverse their call in post # 9 it is stated that he sent emails to a few directors and got several different (opinions) on the rule/s and as been stated in several of post in your last thread it is a judgment call if you call it and feel you made the wrong call YOU can reverse it the home plate ump CAN reverse your call but probably shouldn't. The most important thing as far as im concerned with umps is that they stay consistent, i also beleive that some umps do not reverse their own calls cause if it becomes habit then some players begin to think they are a pushover... make a call stick to your call/s or reverse a call you made if you feel you should if not stick to it explain briefly and continue with your game

vanmol

I beleive it has been explained by a couple of umps here. Post # 14 explains a scenario if whichever ump made the call they may or may not reverse their call in post # 9 it is stated that he sent emails to a few directors and got several different (opinions) on the rule/s and as been stated in several of post in your last thread it is a judgment call if you call it and feel you made the wrong call YOU can reverse it the home plate ump CAN reverse your call but probably shouldn't. The most important thing as far as im concerned with umps is that they stay consistent, i also beleive that some umps do not reverse their own calls cause if it becomes habit then some players begin to think they are a pushover... make a call stick to your call/s or reverse a call you made if you feel you should if not stick to it explain briefly and continue with your game

Thanks much, I appreciate the input and will take it to heart.

vanmol

so you still haven't explained what happened

The next paragraph was part of my original post. I will add that the runner on 2nd tried to advance to 3rd but was thrown out for an inning ending double play. He claimed that he did not hear the ump call for infield fly. If you need more info please state what that is.

The above is the USSA rule regarding an infield fly. My question is this. The 1st base umpire calls an infield fly that no infielder or outfielder can make an ordinary play on and the ball falls without being caught, can the home plate ump reverse that call? If so I would think the batter is awarded 1st base and the the other runners advance one base.

vanmol

explain the entire play

I really don't know how much more you need to know but here goes.
It was a beautiful sunny day at the ball field in Lady Lake Florida. The Div #6 WaterOak community team was hosting the team from Del Webb Stonecrest.
Late in the game Stonecrest had runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. The Stonecrest batter miss hit an inside pitch which resulted in a weak looping bloop towards 3rd base. The ball never got above 10 feet in the air and fell in front of the 3rd baseman who never had a change at catching the ball. The first base ump says he called infield fly but neither the fielders or myself behind the plate heard the call. After the ball hit the ground in fair territory the runner on 2nd base broke for 3rd. (he did not hear the call and thought that he was forced) That runner was easily thrown out at 3rd for the 3rd out of the inning. WaterOak won the game easily and that play was not a factor in the end score. As I have said, because the infield fly call was so unwarranted I would have liked to reverse it but not sure of the rule, I did not.
The Stonecrest team manager complained vigorously that his players did not hear the call but did not make an appeal so the the sides changed up and the game continued, still under sunny skies. That's all I got!!

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Did the 1st base umpire say he thought he made a bad call or did he still think it was infield fly, even after the play was over? I'm guessing he still thought it was the right call since no one heard him call it which means he had to come point out he called IFF after the play. If that's the case, he probably could have gotten away with just letting the play end the way everyone else thought it did. The runner thought he was forced and was out at third and the rest of the runners were safe. Unless he really did think it was IFF and he still thought he made the correct call.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Now that we have the whole scenario, I will answer your original question. You do not have the authority to overturn a judgement call by another umpire. You can correct a call where there is a misapplication of the rules, but not a judgement call. If you threw me under the bus like that, I would finish the game but would never work with you again. If you and your partner get together and they agree that the IFF was called incorrectly, then there might be a recourse. But I don't know what you would do to try and rectify it, you would catch hell from both coaches. I'd be inclined to eat the call, own up to it and move on.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
joker, first of all an outfielder can be considered in making an IF call ...

Irish is right of course. I just double checked USA rules and MLB (not that MLB matters here but sometimes people see a situation on TV and assume the rule sets are the same and they aren't always), and both say it has to be a pitcher, catcher or infielder. MLB's rule says a Pitcher, Catcher, or outfielder who stations himself in the infield shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule. You see MLB managers occasionally play a five man on some players.

If this is in reference to the Braves play (I'm still a butthurt Braves fan over that play), it was IFF because the shortstop was able to get out and potentially make a routine play on that popup. The fact he got confused and an outfielder picked up the ball had nothing to do with the IFF call.

ureout

The Veteran
Simply not true

irish and ohio state ... you are both wrong... remember he is umpiring under SSUSA rules... not USA
senior softball changed their rule to any fielder a couple years ago

now I guess this is where you bash the rule for being stupid...lol

1.41 • INFIELD FLY A fair fly ball (not including a line drive) that can be caught by any fielder with ordinary effort when first and second bases or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs. Any fielder can catch an infield fly.

Last edited:

ureout

The Veteran
I still have not read a firm yes or no as to if an errant IF call can be changed after the play?? I agree that the HP umpire should NEVER over rule a call by the BU... but what if after the play they got together and then the BU admitted he shouldn't have made the call ... can the bell be unrung or do you just eat the call and move on

sleepin4matty

Management Material
irish and ohio state ... you are both wrong... remember he is umpiring under SSUSA rules... not USA
senior softball changed their rule to any fielder a couple years ago

now I guess this is where you bash the rule for being stupid...lol

1.41 • INFIELD FLY A fair fly ball (not including a line drive) that can be caught by any fielder with ordinary effort when first and second bases or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs. Any fielder can catch an infield fly.
wait a second, this is nuts. does that rule state a location for where the fly ball can be caught with "ordinary effort"? So basically any fly ball hit fair anywhere on the field is IFF for SSUSA????

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I still have not read a firm yes or no as to if an errant IF call can be changed after the play?? I agree that the HP umpire should NEVER over rule a call by the BU... but what if after the play they got together and then the BU admitted he shouldn't have made the call ... can the bell be unrung or do you just eat the call and move on
I beleive it has been said. Simlpy yes (if you want too) but would you really want to open that can?!?!

That is s why you can also chose to eat your call take some lumps and move on

vanmol

I beleive it has been said. Simlpy yes (if you want too) but would you really want to open that can?!?!

That is s why you can also chose to eat your call take some lumps and move on

Sorry guys that my post created such an uproar. I appreciate all the input and have learned that my position on the play was incorrect. It is a judgement call and cannot be overturned, case closed.

ureout

The Veteran
wait a second, this is nuts. does that rule state a location for where the fly ball can be caught with "ordinary effort"? So basically any fly ball hit fair anywhere on the field is IFF for SSUSA????

the purpose of an IF call is to protect the runners... so if you happen to have a weak hitter up and your OF'rs move in on him and the batter hits a short fly ball about 20' back of the SS and the LF can make the catch with ordinary effort ... yes on occasion I have seen IF called .... Joker as far as your last post ur an ******* and always have been on this site,,,, you have made about 6 or 7 posts on this topic so far and have yet given any kind of answer... you should just change your name from joker to TROLL

Last edited by a moderator:

Joker

what is a king of answer?

oh and you already gave my answer quoted from another thread. proving even more this thread was pointless

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
the purpose of an IF call is to protect the runners... so if you happen to have a weak hitter up and your OF'rs move in on him and the batter hits a short fly ball about 20' back of the SS and the LF can make the catch with ordinary effort ... yes on occasion I have seen IF called .... Joker as far as your last post ur an ******* and always have been on this site,,,, you have made about 6 or 7 posts on this topic so far and have yet given any kind of answer... you should just change your name from joker to TROLL

Not only did they just completely make this not the INFIELD fly rule, but unless it's like 70+ (which is possible), I think most infielders would still be closer to a ball hit 20 feet behind them than an outfielder. Either way, I still wasn't sure which association he was referring to. He did say SSUSA three times in one post and USSA in every other post. USSA is a lot closer to either USSSA or USA than it is to SSUSA. I'm sure they had some scenario where an outfielder got to a routine ball that an infielder somehow couldn't get to that still put the runners in jeopardy of a double play but that sure seems like a Jupiter lined up with Venus during a solar eclipse kind of event more than a regular play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceman6409

So Joker I believe you said this thread is, and I quote you, pointless. If you truly feel that way then why are you responding and bashing this other umpire. Have some respect for Gods sake. So what if someone doesn't ask a perfectly worded question to your standards. We are here to try and help each other, not point fingers and name call and all that crap. Lighten up Francis

Joker

because he asked this dumb question twice and took 40 more posts here to finally get the info needed. **** respect

Iceman6409

In your opinion why is this a dumb question? He obviously asked because he did not know the answer. Isn't that why he came here, to get his question answered? In my world if someone is asking for help then I will help the best I can. If I can't help I will either let them know that or find someone who can. No need to constantly be calling each other names or point fingers or make fun of or whatever. Lighten up

Joker

because it's been answered and he asked it in a very dumb way without all the facts. it was like pulling teeth to get all the info