A question for outfielders.

dunkky

any tip for reading fly balls better and quicker?
After getting burned a couple of times, I have a tendency to watch the fly ball for too long and that results in a late jump. A relatively easier catch turns into a full rush catch instead. Is it just a matter of seeing a lot of fly balls and get used to or is there some tricks to expedite the learning curve? Thanks.

dunkky

lol, that's what we do when 20 people show up... I probably gonna have one buddy out and have him hit some balls off a tee. A couple of sessions like that, I should be good.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When you shag fly balls in BP, don't just stand in a giant cluster in LF and hen-cluck with your buddies.

This. The only way to get better at fielding fly balls is to practice. Use your team BPs as a way to run around and catch fly balls. Also practice fielding bouncers/grounders.

Like hitting, you'll get worse at fielding if you never practice.

dunkky

When I hit in BP and see a dozen left-fielders it's time for an oppo round.
that sounds about right.

:D time for a game when 20 people show up
we do, after 20 people go thru hitting for an hour and a half, we play a scrimmiage game. It's a bit inefficient. but it's just guys getting together and have some fun in sun afternoon. I need an intense fly ball catch drill. one on one. group practice and beer can stay.

Redsfan

More reps is what you need. Try all 3 or 4 positions in the OF during BP. Get used to the different spins you get off the bat at each position. Also your OF should be talking to each other during games. In/back etc. Watching the hitter is key. Most the time they will give you an idea of where it's going and if it's coming your way. That can help you get a better jump on it. Every practice is a chance to get better if you are serious about getting better.
I've played OF since 9th grade. I'm 50 now and still out there. The arm is no longer a cannon but I can still judge a ball better than the rest of the guys we put out there so I don't lose my spot. Haha.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Good eyesight, depth perception and angles are key imo.
I was coached from way back in little league to watch the ball from pitchers hand and to the bat no matter what position thats how I've approached fielding any position i play/have played, aside from losing a step or two and a bit of eyesight with age this has helped me

Redsfan

I forgot to add this above. Where you stand in the OF can also effect how successful you will be. I see a ton of players playing way too deep. Like 10 feet in front of the fence too deep. Use the fence as another fielder. Play at a depth where if you can't get back to catch it, it's a HR. Playing shallower will also cut down on those 250 foot line drives that drop in, the POS bloopers or the free double on the grounder thru the infield you can't get too fast enough because you are 290 feet from home plate.

dunkky

Good eyesight, depth perception and angles are key imo.
I was coached from way back in little league to watch the ball from pitchers hand and to the bat no matter what position thats how I've approached fielding any position i play/have played, aside from losing a step or two and a bit of eyesight with age this has helped me

I feel your pain bro.. same here... my eyesight isn't what it should to be.. and my legs.. but losing about 15lb has been a big plus

I forgot to add this above. Where you stand in the OF can also effect how successful you will be. I see a ton of players playing way too deep. Like 10 feet in front of the fence too deep. Use the fence as another fielder. Play at a depth where if you can't get back to catch it, it's a HR. Playing shallower will also cut down on those 250 foot line drives that drop in, the POS bloopers or the free double on the grounder thru the infield you can't get too fast enough because you are 290 feet from home plate.

Yeap, that's excellent points. that's my other problem. I got burned so, I unnecessary play too deep too often and letting them get away with dookies.

Redsfan

[QUOTE="
Yeap, that's excellent points. that's my other problem. I got burned so, I unnecessary play too deep too often and letting them get away with dookies.[/QUOTE]

Can't be afraid to get burned. When I was young and fast I played stupid short. Got smoked every now and then but I more than made up for it by getting to the short bloopers and the line drives that would normally drop. Some times it even psych's out the hitter. I used to get tons of easy pop ups because guys wanted to burn me so bad because I'm playing so short. This works better in league where you know the hitters. Teams you don't know you need to give them a little respect. I don't do this much any more since my 40 time has increased. I try to play a happy medium. Not too deep but not too short.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
A big thing is to be moving as soon as the ball is hit. It’s easier to slow down chasing a fly ball than it is to misplay it and have to race after it to make the catch. It comes down to practice and what your strengths and weaknesses are fielding fly balls. Play all outfield positions to learn how balls will track given a right handed batter vs a lefty.

dunkky

If you can’t play third base or left field in slow pitch, there’s no shame in playing first or catcher.

The beer in between innings tastes the same.

You are wrong!! i have to cut someone's leg out to play that position. The competition is steep, 3 other guys on the waiting list. In seniors, everyone wanna play p, 1st, c in that order. LOL but you are rite, beer tastes the same. even better if it's after a dingger.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I am definitely not ashamed of playing behind the plate or eh in regular leagues ive earned that right, all the young dummys that think they can play those positions but can't can fight over them all they want.. i play wherever the coach wants me to in seniors.

Btw if you guys do infact do drink beer in dugouts/between innings you guys are spoiled lol.. we are not allowed to drink in dugouts/during games, city ordinance says we're not supposed to drink in parking lot aftet games but the commish amd cops don't harp on that.

Last edited:

nike33kjk

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, while practicing, try to keep your head still when tracking flight / running. This takes some work. I was never one to turn my back to the ball, race back and try to relocate.

D-ROCK13

Lots and lots of reps, the faster you can read the ball, the easier tracking it becomes. Still have to be fast enough to get to it though, which is my biggest problem :D I personally play a little deep, because its much easier to track, and catch up to a ball, in front of me

jhitman

After getting burned a couple of times, I have a tendency to watch the fly ball for too long and that results in a late jump. A relatively easier catch turns into a full rush catch instead. Is it just a matter of seeing a lot of fly balls and get used to or is there some tricks to expedite the learning curve? Thanks.

I play in senior leagues and since I can't quite run as fast as I use to so I try to know where the hitter generally hits the ball. Also, lots of reps, watching where my pitcher is pitching the hitter. Sometimes you can get a clue from the sound coming off the bat, but with the 52's it's more of a thud. Bottom line for me is to know the hitter's tendencies, positioning in the outfield, get a good read on the ball and then you can make up ground for the lost step in speed over the years. I watch some guys play the outfield and it seems like they play every hitter in the same spot. Then they can't figure out why they keep getting burned.

r8dr_rider

Don’t drink
React every time the ball gets hit
Open your mouth when running to catch a ball (insert sex joke here)
Get to area you think ball is landing before it does, and set up. Running while catching is one of the hardest things to do. And if your good like me on high fliers you can take your eye off the ball and run to the spot it’s landing and track it again in the air. It’s an old football receiver technique.
Follow the ball with your eyes into your glove
Use your throwing hand to help keep ball in glove
Oh and don’t drink.

r8dr_rider

If you can’t play third base or left field in slow pitch, there’s no shame in playing first or catcher.

The beer in between innings tastes the same.

I love playing 1st. 39 years old and no need to run around like I was 25 anymore. Plus some guys like trying to hit oppo and you can dig out some weak grounders and look like a stud. Just make sure you can reach for those bad throws from the SS and 3B

blakcherry329

Shagging flies in BP. Go all out like a game situation. Just like if you're new to pitching, pitch a lot of bp. Same principle.

dunkky

thanks bud, i just watched it. I did some drills for a couple of times. I feel much more comfortable now reading the fly balls. still having some issues that's going over my head but with a 14 inch glove, I am doing much better now. last thursday, i've made a spectacular catch. It wasn't a sliding nor diving catch, but a line drive that no one thought I was gonna able to catch, but i did with some great speed. i love my glove. lol

r8dr_rider

thanks bud, i just watched it. I did some drills for a couple of times. I feel much more comfortable now reading the fly balls. still having some issues that's going over my head but with a 14 inch glove, I am doing much better now. last thursday, i've made a spectacular catch. It wasn't a sliding nor diving catch, but a line drive that no one thought I was gonna able to catch, but i did with some great speed. i love my glove. lol

line drives are the hardest. Glad you could adjust. I love the high fly balls over my head. I play them like my old football receiver days. Over the shoulder. Always watch the ball in to your hands (glove)

dunkky

line drives are the hardest. Glad you could adjust. I love the high fly balls over my head. I play them like my old football receiver days. Over the shoulder. Always watch the ball in to your hands (glove)

yeah, my problem is when balls are going over me (well hit balls), i have some issue with my jump. one, my jump sometimes is late, two, i don't know how far it will travel. sometimes i over run, sometimes the opposite. If it's high fly ball over my head, i can better deal with that since i have more time to make adjustment.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
The talking in the outfield is key. My wife and I were playing in the outfield, she at rover, and one was hit over our heads. I was sprinting back with my eyes on the ball and she never once yelled fence. ...... When I picked myself up she was half laughing and half worried. I hit the fence, moved the top of the fence 2 feet back then like a slingshot I went backwards about 7 feet. Yes the ball hit my glove and had I had 1 more foot of field I would have had it but still a courtesy call of Fence is nice. hahaha.

To answer your question though, as it has been said, practice practice practice.