Recent content by Ratmoss

1. R

Green Pop Toss

Noting is really close to live pitching imo. I have a pop toss and use it from time to time. Not a staple of my training. I just hate hitting off a tee. I find this more "fun" than using a tee if that makes any sense. It's helpful to get some swings in if you can't find someone to throw BP...
  2. R

Mid-Level Ankle Support

I used something similar to this after a sprain about a year ago. It's really just fabric used for compression. No plastic or anything like that for support. A top notch job with an ACE bandage will do the same thing. It sounds like you are probably at the point in your recovery where this...
  3. R

Catching and/or DHing

Nice to be the "old guy" at 33. Old guy is also the most mature guy (most of the time). Probably 95% of the conflicts on a softball field occur at or near the plate. Nice to have a level head back there to defuse situations and play nice with Blue.
  4. R

How to figure out which weight of bat to swing

Seems a little off for big mashing dudes like ourselves. The formula might be designed for girls?
  5. R

?? Phenix

I've got a 33/25. To be honest with you, the 1 inch drop takes a lot more getting used to than I would have thought. It takes quite a few swings in BP for me to find my groove with it. I have never swung a 34/26 phenix, so I can't really speak to straight performance. I do have a 26 oz...
  6. R

Pop Toss -- Green Tee seen this? opinons?

I recently purchased one of these things. I like it as a live BP substitute, I never feel like I'm doing anything useful with a stationary tee. This makes it a little more realistic I guess. It does suck to reload every swing. It says to use the handle of the bat to push down the...
  7. R

Looking for Opinions Recoil vs freak dst asa

I picked up a used DST about 6 months ago just cause it seemed like a good deal at the time. I have to say, I am impressed with it. It's within a couple feet of my Recoil. It's not a bad stick by any means (IMO). But I guess I could be one of the "lucky ones." Plus it makes a nice team...
  8. R

ASA MLB players?

Played against Carlos Zambrano in an indoor winter league outside Chicago 3-4 years ago. Couldn't figure out what he was doing in Chicago in January. I figure he would have spent the offseason in Venezuela? He played RF and MASHED.
  9. R

Different perspective on middle wars...

yjsep, I have also found that my skills acquired in a previous life as a hockey goalie have helped on the mound. I played goalie from about age 6 to 18. Then I went to college, got fat, and took up softball. The reflexes are still there, but now my padding is natural. The things you are...
  10. R

2010 vs. 2011 One MLC

Does anybody know if there is any difference between the 2010 and 2011 versions of the One MLC? From what I can tell, the 2010 MLC has the Squid inside the lettering on "The One" and the 2011 has a smaller squid depicted on the barrel between "Demarini" and "The One." Are there any...
  11. R

For those of you that think you hit BOMBS

I subbed for a co-workers team on that UIC field a couple of months ago. Beautiful view, home plate faces right out to the skyline. It reminded me a little of PNC, except you get to look at Chicago instead of Pittsburgh. The field was legit, no doubt, but there were some pretty low-level...
  12. R

No gloves!

Growing up in the NW suburbs of Chicago, I thought 12 inch was just for girls. It wasn't until I went downstate for college that I was exposed to the men's game. I never showed up to a game down there without a glove, but I did bring along some old school heavy lumber at first. I still...
  13. R

Why no love for the morphed?

I picked one up on the bay NIW for a decent price a few months ago. Was going to sell it to a friend who was starting a team and needed to add some bats. The deal fell through and I had this thing rolling around in my trunk for a while. I took the wrapper off last week and hit some BP with it...
  14. R

Can't shave it but would you buy it????

Wasn't this kind of the idea with the Reveal line? That didn't work out so well...
  15. R

Easton Metals?

Does anyone have any input on the Easton metal bats? CV12, SV12 etc? I just broke my out of warranty F3 this week. It didn't get much use except for really humid nights with the mush ball. I would like to pick up another metal for a replacement, but don't want to drop $200 plus on an F4...