Recent content by TheLacinStation

1. T

Any TAGGING UP

USA 8.7.R governs maintaining contact with the base BEFORE the ball is batted, touches the ground, or reaches home plate. USA 8.7.V governs getting a running start on a fly ball, which can only occur AFTER the ball is batted. If USA 8.7.V were meant to apply BEFORE the ball is batted, it would...
  2. T

Any TAGGING UP

USA 8.7.V "The runner is out ... when a runner is positioned behind and not in contact with a base to get a running start on any fly ball." And, to address the discussion above, you cannot have a fly ball until after the ball is batted, so this rule must apply after the ball is hit. Further...
  3. T

ASA Time Limit - End of Game

2 outs, bottom of the 4th inning, visiting team leading. With 3 seconds remaining on the game clock (50-minute time limit), the batter hits a ground ball to F3. While F3 is in the process of fielding the ball, time expires. After time has expired, F3 steps on first base to record the final...
  4. T

ASA Batter Crossing Home Plate

For starters, I hate using a game clock for softball. I understand why it is necessary, but it leads to way too much stupid shenanigans. Late in the game, home team is trailing with less than 2 minutes remaining and 2 outs in the bottom of the inning. The batter takes his position in the...
  5. T

Swinging Third Strike - Hit by Pitch

This is actually from baseball, but it's slow. I am hoping that the baseball and softball rulings are equivalent. Batter has a 2-2 count. Pitch is in the dirt, batter swings and misses, and the ball bounces up and hits the batter in the leg. Batter runs to first base and beats the throw from...
  6. T

ASA Unsporting Behavior - Penalty

ASA Rule Supplement 49 (at least in the 2016 book) lists several behaviors that are considered unsporting. However, the rule supplement does not address the penalty for these behaviors. What is the penalty and where can it be found in the rulebook?
  7. T

USSSA Fielder Distracting Batter

Of course it's USSSA, since they are the only ones who allow pitchers to do stupid stuff, but I digress. While running a 5-man infield, the middle infielder positions himself about 10-15 feet behind the pitcher and one step to his right (pitcher is right handed). While the pitcher is pump...
  8. T

Out of Baseline

R1 on 3rd base. Batter hits a ground ball to SS, who throws home to get R1 heading to the plate. Catcher catches the ball and attempts to tag the runner, who is standing directly on the baseline, about 3 feet from home plate. Runner jumps away, moving at least 6 feet into foul territory...
  9. T

Any Interference?

Follow-up: Is the ball dead when the member of the offensive team touches it? Perhaps he only grazes it and the defender is still able to make the catch before the ball hits anything else. Would the batter be out?
  10. T

Any Interference?

Batter hits a pop-up down the fence line. First baseman comes over to the fence, just beyond the dugout. As the fielder reaches over the fence to attempt to catch the ball, a member of the offensive team reaches up (without crossing over the fence) and swats the ball away. Is this...
  11. T

Other Whoops !

So, what you are saying is that F2 consciously threw the ball to an area where there was no one to catch it? Rule 1 in trying to throw out a runner: throw the ball to someone who is there to make a play. If F5 was not paying attention, or was not in the correct position, F2 never should have...
  12. T

Any Valid Appeal

Situation: Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Batter hits a pop up about 5 feet beyond 3rd base and 10 feet into foul territory. Runner from 2nd advances to 3rd on contact. F5 ranges into foul territory and catches the ball. F5 then walks over to the runner on 3rd and tags him while he is on...
  13. T

Any "Run-Through" Tag Up

Can a base runner go behind (toward LF at 3B, toward RC at 2B, into foul territory at 1B) the base in order to tag up on a caught fly ball? Basically, the runner takes a few steps away from the next base, allowing him to get a running start and hit the base after the fly ball is caught.
  14. T

ASA Ball Thrown/Kicked Out of Play

Batter hits a ground ball to shortstop. Shortstop makes a bad throw to first base. As the ball passes the runner, his natural running motion causes him to kick the ball (behind him, with the back of his foot), causing the ball to jump over the fence, out of play. What is the appropriate...
  15. T

Any Throw from the outfield

I know some umpires who don't realize that it is from the time of release. His justification - that is the way I always call it, so I am consistent.