Search results

1. Fin09

Any Runner safe at 2B, but out for taking her foot off the base. How is that scored?

This is a play I'd have to see to call. It could be a FC if the catcher had time to throw out the batter/runner, but instead chose to throw to 2nd. An out doesn't have to be recorded for there to be a fielders choice. If the catcher didn't have a play on the batter at first, I'd call it a hit...
  2. Fin09

USSSA Great catch on outside of the fence

It's a live ball- as long as the ball didn't hit the ground on the other side of the fence. The outfielder can pin the ball against the back side of the fence and bring it back, but that's no catch, and it's not out of play. Where it hits the fence after the fielder touches it doesn't matter...
  3. Fin09

Whats the call ????

^^State UIC is wrong. You can backtrack to avoid a tag on a force play all day. The only time a runner is not allowed to backtrack is before he reaches first base- he's not allowed to retreat towards the plate. It's smart baserunning to keep the defense from being able to turn a double or triple...
  4. Fin09

ASA batted ball hits runner, 3rd out

And the obvious question is, why was the runner standing in fair territory?
  5. Fin09

ASA Ball Hits A Runner While They Are On A Base

And you must change your user ID to something that doesn't have the word softball in it.
  6. Fin09

Any Intentional drop ball

A reasonable amount of hustle from the batter-runner prevents the defense from even attempting this 99% of the time, and whenever it does happen, I know several little league coaches get very disappointed. Heads drop and shake. I don't even want to hear how it's picking on lower level teams...
  7. Fin09

ASA Strike Zone

Bottom line is, the "guy from the other team" (we all know it was almost certainly you) shouldn't have been watching that pitch go by. Should have been swinging. The 6' arc pitch that lands 1" behind the plate is a strike 1000% of the time. You can talk physics all you want, and if you saw the...
  8. Fin09

New Yorkers booing cano...

It's all so crystal clear now...
  9. Fin09

New Yorkers booing cano...

I thought it was great when the Yankees fans were chanting "sellout" to Cano. Doesn't every high-priced free agent who signs with the Yankees sellout, since they usually offer the most money and the longest terms? And this time, they weren't even close on years or money? Kettle? Pot. Pot? Kettle.
  10. Fin09

ASA Double play clarification

If it is deemed an intentional drop by the umpire, then the ball is dead, and the runners are put back on the bases they occupied at the time of the pitch.
  11. Fin09

NSA NSA rule

From what I remember, if you walk the hitter before the automatic out in NSA, the out spot in the lineup is skipped. There is no "pitch to him until he strikes out or puts the ball in play". You could just throw pitch after pitch to him, hoping he'll get bored, chase a couple and get you a cheap K.
  12. Fin09

USSSA Pinch Runner Debacle

League rules are all different, but in our case, once a courtesy runner is on base, you can't sub him out if his turn is coming up. He's out there until he's retired, scores, or the third out is made. Using the last out got confusing for a lot of teams, since many didn't know if it would be the...
  13. Fin09

USSSA Pitching Arc

3' from release. As long as it gets above the pitcher's shoulder, and isn't delivered with too much speed, that's enough arc for me.
  14. Fin09

Is compression testing b/s?

Compression testing is as much a deterrent as anything else. Guys are much less likely to get a shaved bat tested, knowing full well it's going to come in way below the minimum, so if the bat never comes out of the bag, the playing field is a safer one because of the testing. Sure, some...
  15. Fin09

ASA Wrapper on bat during game - Altered?

The barrel is too big with shrink wrap on it, therefore making it illegal. It's the thickness of the plastic x 2 too much too big. Make him unwrap it.
  16. Fin09

USSSA Steeping on plate for a new inning

You know what clock management means to me? Hustling out to your positions every inning. Shave 30 seconds to a minute off each half inning by doing this, and you're not scrambling to get one more inning in most times.
  17. Fin09

ASA And Chaos Ensued II

I used to scratch a line in the dirt against the fence on each team's side for each home run. I'd check the score and home runs between each half inning. There should never be this confusion. But, as stated above, the umpire is not an official scorer, so if he or she incorrectly blurts out the...
  18. Fin09

USSSA Out of batter's box question

Sure you can do that. You could always do that. You'd be called out for it, but that doesn't mean you couldn't do it. This is America, after all.
  19. Fin09

Evil Yankees sign tanaka

No, it's valid until someone else raises that trophy.
  20. Fin09

Any walks as at bats?

If your team is in position to award an MVP, you've all hit well. And on any given day, if your lineup is deep, the bottom will turn the lineup over very well. Do you think the guy at the bottom of a men's major team hits .400? I've played on several teams that had guys who got on base at that...