10 Tips to Being a better Slow Pitch Softball Pitcher

Vinnie19

SlowPitchNation.com
I love to pitch slow pitch softball! You are the center of the action controlling the flow of the game, enticing batters to swing at pitches, defending the middle, and running the show. The moment I step onto the diamond my worries and cares fall away. There is no place on earth I would rather be. It’s just me and the game. I just love it. I plan on playing until they drag me off the pitching mound and into a nursing home.

I love to teach other players how to pitch. Some have become quite good at it (if I do say so myself). Here are my tips to those of you who want to become a better slow pitch softball pitcher, or may be getting ready to pitch for the first time.

Vinnie’s 10 Tips to Being a Better Slow Pitch Softball Pitcher - originally posted on Slow Pitch Nation

1. Practice one pitch until you can throw it for a strike at will.
  2. For the love of God, learn how backup and defend your position and yourself.
  3. Location is key. Learn to throw strikes deep, short, away, & inside
  4. Arc your pitches as high as you can until the ump stops you. Arc is your best friend.
  5. Vary your arcs and location to keep the batter guessing.
  6. Walks suck. No free trips to 1st.
  7. Back up throws coming from the outfield
  8. Learn how to read a batter. Keep the pitch out of the batters wheelhouse.
  9. Pitch to contact. Make them hit it where you want them to.
  10. Be a professional. Celebrating a swinging strike out will get your ass beat. Batters strike out because they simply miss, not because your 5 mph pitch is so awesome.

Do you agree, disagree, or have any other tips to share?

akabigdaddy13

RAY,what did you do Ray?
change speed and angle i like to throw borderline 6 footers at speed and lean off the rubber to the right as far as i can stretch and pitch....

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Mixin up the pitches such as where you release, and how they spin has proven to work for me...I throw a slow knuckler kid of pitch that doesn't neccessarily knuckle a whole bunch but it's still nonetheless got a spin that batters aren't used to seeing

cshyne

The Veteran
I agree, great list of tips. and the backing up and defending your position, for the love of god guys need to learn this !!! Also people need to realize that hitting the middle WILL happen, and not always on purpose ! so be ready for it !!!

akabigdaddy13

RAY,what did you do Ray?
It seems the knuckleball is Very effective in coed. In my mens leagues they don't seem to care lol. If they're good, they'll smoke the ball no matter what you throw their way.

i mix high floaters and faster 6 footers (knucklers)to make it more difficult. yes hitters will be hitters and the pitch usually doesnt matter but mixing it up helps sometimes because they never know which way i will pitch( i dont set a pattern for them to lock in on)

dgambill85

Banned User
i disagree. i can disrupt a game anytime i want to...

Then you play subpar competition. Doesn't matter what you pitch it's still
Coming at roughly 15 mph thus I get to move around and do whatever I want with it. If its outside I can take a step in and pull it or just send it to right. If its inside. I can drag te head of my bat and send it to right or I can pull it out.

krunchyfrogg

It's all in the reflexes
Very nice. I'd add that a cup and a mask are pretty darn important.

I know you said to field your position, and I couldn't agree more. I put my glove up the moment I release the ball.

Last edited:

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Pitching in the Senior circuit we have the advantage of using a mat. My best out pitch is a 6-7' which drops as it gets to the plate and catches the front edge of the mat.

The mat gives some of the game back to the pitcher IMO

Vinnie19

SlowPitchNation.com
All things being equal, the team on offense controls the flow of the game.

I completely disagree. The game moves at the pitchers pace.

A pitcher has up to 1 minute between pitches (asa). If you are getting rocked and a just a human pitching machine, take some time between pitches. You can step off, set your defense, talk to your infield. Heck just shoot the **** with the catcher. Then throw some intentional balls. Break up the tempo and control it.

akabigdaddy13

RAY,what did you do Ray?
Then you play subpar competition. Doesn't matter what you pitch it's still
Coming at roughly 15 mph thus I get to move around and do whatever I want with it. If its outside I can take a step in and pull it or just send it to right. If its inside. I can drag te head of my bat and send it to right or I can pull it out.

i didn't say my pitches disrupt games.... i dont know too many people who move around alot to get a hit in u-trip? personally my hitting styles differ for usssa and asa or nsa. i walk the box in asa or nsa but in usssa i stand a bit up and a little off the plate in the batters box in order to hit where i want to.