11 or 12 in lineup

scottdburnett

Addicted to Softballfans
We carry 12 on one of our Spring Rosters because often 1 or 2 guys are out due to travel or kids sports.

How do you like to handle it when 11 or 12 guys show up?

For 11 we bat 11 and the odd man defensively rotates to a different spot every inning.

For 12 we do this ^ and then have been having the two weakest players (or coldest bats) share a spot in the lineup and rotate with each other defensively. If they are in the 11 hole they don't get to play much.

CajunDude

Bat 12 and let guys rotate in and out as they want. If you've got guys who can play anywhere, it's no big deal. If you're 11 and 12 guy are limited with where they play, they rotate where they can. If you have other guys that can play anywhere, let them just shift with the rest. Either way, all guys play the field. If you're batting 11 or 12, everyone is going to get somewhat limited at bats anyway. Heck, on our league team, guys are volunteering to sit out an inning here or there. haha

blakcherry329

It depends on how good your team is. If your team is stacked, then batting 12 shouldn't be an issue. However, if you have a few "dead bats" then, keep it to 11, or even 10, to keep the line up moving.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Bat everyone that pays to play, rotate where they can on an inning basis. Be vocal about it in the dugout, if you have a good guys, someone will speak up about giving up their spot. If you have turds that take themselves too seriously on league softball night, they'll be bitching about playing time or have some crappy remark, you might be wise to not renew their contract next season.....

scottdburnett

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks all.
Yeah, league play only. In tourneys we bat 10 until we get tired and then expand to 11.

Defensive substitution is easy as most want a break, especially outfielders.

I like the idea of batting everyone who paid. When guys share a lineup spot, they only get 2-3 at bats to others 4-5.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the two extra bat above the team average they help your production even if they limit abs.

swampdonkey1

Star Player
We try to rotate who sits out each game and give them notice before the game so they can show up late or volunteer to skip a night and take their time out on their terms. We also have a 30+ game season and sponsors, so sitting out 2 games isn't a big deal and no one can say ''we paid our share to play''.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
I've never understood why league teams carry 12 or more guys just to cover travel, kids sports, etc. Carry 11 in case of injury during games, traffic, last minute work etc. Just use fill ins to maintain 11 when people let you know they can't come. Surely 11 guys that play softball will know someone who can fill in.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I've never understood why league teams carry 12 or more guys just to cover travel, kids sports, etc. Carry 11 in case of injury during games, traffic, last minute work etc. Just use fill ins to maintain 11 when people let you know they can't come. Surely 11 guys that play softball will know someone who can fill in.

With closed rosters, you can't just pickup anyone to fill-in --- so if you have players who are going to miss games, you need other players ON THE ROSTER to use when they are missing...

I was the worst guy in a team of 15. I never missed a game

That does seem to happen - but it should count for something... Having reliable players, so you don't forfeit, is important... Just don't pick 'that guy' up for the next season...

For some teams, league games are just as important as tournaments are for others because they only play league - other teams, they just want to have fun... If you're there to only have fun, then play everyone, so everyone has fun...

If league games are important to win, then have a 10-man first string that pays full price to play - then the added players pay 1/2 price to be available to cover missing players and they know they are only going to get limited play time - maybe get each extra player one inning per game with an at bat... but don't punish those who are committed to playing every game just so you have extra players for those who are going to miss games - If everyone shows up, when you put the extra player on the field, pull one of the guys who they are supposed to cover for...

I hate it when a player calls at the last minute to say - I can't make it tonight ('cause I'm tired, I want to see a TV show, I need to take the wife shopping, etc, etc, etc)... I value reliability...

chile

Bad Ape
i filled in for a team that wound up having 12 show last weekend....i volunteered to sit but they said "nah, we'll bat 12..." what a **** show.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
My league team has carried 13 for the last 4 seasons and we've actually had all 13 show up only one time over that span lol.

Everyone pays, everyone bats and dudes usually fight to sit. It's league night and most of the dudes are just there to get out of the house for a few hours. We win more than we lose (just barely) and pretty much everyone goes out to eat and throw back a few after every game.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Bring beer and 2 guys will sit out to drink the whole game...

Thats what my coach does to me...

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a few games where we had all 18 guys on our league roster show up. Batting 18 sucks ass. Think maybe 4 guys got more than 1 AB because for some reason no one could hit out of the 18.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Some of the best offensive games my teams have had is when we only batted 8. Very tough defensively, but when everyone in the order gets up 8 times, lots of runs are scored.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Definitely sit your friends when they suck, the scout's might be there on league night and you don't want your bat to get cold between ups.....

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Only problem is the guys sitting also paid their league fees, unless you have sponsors. Hard to sit anyone if they paid as much as everyone else did.

rpw019

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a few games where we had all 18 guys on our league roster show up. Batting 18 sucks ass. Think maybe 4 guys got more than 1 AB because for some reason no one could hit out of the 18.
That would be horrible. Im surprised a few guys didnt volunteer to go home. Most ive seen for league is 14 and that was terrible.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Batting 18 lasted twice, after that we were lucky to get 8-10 show up, which was fine with me.