14" ball help

jwashko9

Addicted to Softballfans
I am looking for some input on bats for a hard shell 14" ball. Our league around here allows us to use the Cannon, but does not allow Miken's as a whole. I realize this isn't a good rule, but it is what it is. With the limited number of Cannons available, can anyone give me input (good and bad) on any possible replacements for the Cannon? We have swung a couple of senior league bats that are somewhat close such as the Centenarian CENSP1-FL (black and blue). Thanks,

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a 14" ball you want heavier and more endloaded. If you're hitting the poly-core version the bat will make some difference, but the farthest shot I hit was with an ST8-Z. I did not ever try a senior bat as I would've been afraid the extra weight would cause the handle to break. There are some newer ones with warranties, so I'd probably try one of those.

There is a short barrel Wanted Senior that I've wanted to try. If the bat makes a difference, I'd say that one would be a great choice if you could hit the smaller barrel consistently.

If you're using the cork version of the 14" ball you might as well swing a heavy wood bat like the LS Chicago 16. The 14 is better than a 16 inch ball, but not by much unless your'e hitting the polycore version.

kilikina211

The Veteran
we play mostly 14" ball here (debeer PN14) w/senior bats allowed, the most popular non-miken is the melee. i have the white centenarian thats pretty hot too. we just picked up a '14 juggy for a 12" ASA tourny and it's actually really good with the 14" ball too, right out of the wrapper.

jwashko9

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the responses. We have a couple of 14" leagues around here and have gone back and forth between the hard and soft shell balls. With the soft ball, or rag type outside, I have found its more about the weight of the bat that allows for more solid contact and feel. I have an older 30 oz Demo Vexxum that basically feels the same as the Cannon with the softer shell - I realize its not exactly the same. But I was more interested in the harder shell for this question, where it makes a bigger difference. You can really see a difference in the teams that have Cannon(s) and the teams that don't. I know ours is on its way out and I just wanted to be prepared for when it finally bites it.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have y'all noticed that Rawlings and a couple of other companies are putting a rubber coating on these balls and selling them as overweight training balls? I saw them at our local wal-mart the other day. I still have two in my bp bag from the year we played it in KY. I don't think it's a bad idea for coed.