ASA 18u fastpitch foul ball

bpenosa1

Addicted to Softballfans
Girl hits a very slow roller up the first base line. Ball rolls foul, hits something in the dirt and rolls back fair. Catcher picks it up and throws down to first. Batter is out. I thought once a ball went foul that was in. What's the rule for this?

beernbombs

Abby's dad
If the ball doesn't roll or bounce past 1st or 3rd, it would need to come to rest or be first touched in foul territory to be called foul. Your situation is a fair ball.

jsam21238

Addicted to Softballfans
Done in one... this is basic stuff. Conversely would you think if a ball that hit in fair territory then spins into foul territory before the base be a fair ball? Come on now.

bpenosa1

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the answer. Figured this forum was for asking questions! Umpire called foul then said fair. My girl heard foul and stopped running and subsequently called thrown out

Comp

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the answer. Figured this forum was for asking questions! Umpire called foul then said fair. My girl heard foul and stopped running and subsequently called thrown out

Now that changes things a little. If the umpire did verbally indicate foul he has a problem because players react to the verbal call by the umpire. The rules specifically state that a delayed call, or reversal of a call by the umpire that puts either team in jeaporday should be corrected as equitibly as possible by the umpire. In this case, if the umpire called foul and the runner stopped running, he should revert back to the foul call and bring the batter back to bat.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I always cringe when I watch an umpire call foul before a ball stops or is touched. It only takes a second or two to wait it out. In fastpitch a bouncing ball can have some odd spin to it. Think of a ball hit off the end of the bat.

Joker

riv3igvxzd4zzsovk2ad.gif

Richmond_Ump

Addicted to Softballfans
My son was playing in a baseball tournament yesterday. He bunted a ball that started out foul, rode up the lip of the grass and ended up fair. Had he run from the time he laid down the bunt, he would have been safe as the fielder was watching the ball. I'm coaching 1b yelling run - by the time he ran the ball had just rolled fair, the 1b picked it up and tagged him for an easy out.

Loso54

Addicted to Softballfans
Because the umpire yelled "foul" the play is immediately "dead" in every sanction the rule number changes but there is a rule that states the home plate umpire can reverse and or make a change a call that had put either team at risk or jeopardy. The right call now turns into a judgement call just because he called foul doesn't mean the batter now runner comes back to bat with a strike, if in the umpires judgement s/he feels the batter now runner would have made it to first had s/he not yelled foul s/he can place that runner at first.

Loso54

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes in NFHS which is the National Federation of State High school association it would be rule reference 10-2-3m. Again I'm sure all other sanctions have this rule just different number reference.