1B Mitt for Softball Tips

aargentino1

Extra Hitter
I know that everyone's go to for this is usually the prodct, but they are becoming harder to find. Anyone else have any suggestions for a mid range 1B mitt? Looking to grab something new, and in LHT. How have the soaldings been holding up? Not a huge fan of Vinci, so trying to avoid that. Thinking I would need something that measures close to 13, just looking for some more opinions

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I of course do like the Vinci but talk to Rouse about a double break heal model and perhaps a basket shaped mod T web. Nokona used to make a real nice big with what I think was called a Tennessee trap, would have to find use and finally, set up goes a long way to making a baseball glove work for softball. I can remember my Dad playing in the 60s and everyone just used there old well broken in High School baseball gloves

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
BTW although Vinci does make a 13.5" JBV-SB for softball I like the CBW413 better, a 13" designed for fast pitch. This is a file pic of the Vinci CBW413, thats the pocket I like for softball. Even though I play outfield I would like o try some first base, if I can ever find it (with my foot, LOL)

Also found a pic of the Shoeless Joe 13" Tennesse Trap. I have never seen one of these and am not sure how floppy they get but I like the looks, just not sure how they would hold up or if they are just more of a novelty ?

fuzzai

Starting Player
The marucci dct model glove puts my DCT to shame*

I find the pocket a tad bigger, deeper, beautiful H web, and the padding/inserts are better then my stock DCT.

*personal opinion

wcoastsoftball

Not sure why you would want to avoid Vinci. The JBV-SB and even the 04 I have used in softball. Great gloves. I sold the 04 to a friend, and he loves it as well even after I broke it in.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
my easton epg36bw is great. great leather, nice and deep/wide. ball almost always finds the pocket perfectly. a good option for a budget

aargentino1

Extra Hitter
Anyone use the Taiwan made gloves I.e Woodz or SSK? They seem to have nice patterns for softball and are not extremely budget breaking

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Go with the Easton if on a budget. They really are greatly undervalued with regard to the leather quality.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The DCT pattern patent ran out a long time ago, so you see it and slight variations all over. All-Star makes a version I have seen for $199 (with Velcro) and the Mizuno MVP version is $150. Most have the original DCT web design, not the single post.

I have relaced 3 DCTs and all measured exactly 12.5". I have also relaced a few Vinci JBV-SBs and that pattern is very similar to the DCT without some of the usual design cues... it also measures 12.5".

item-23652vnhl.jpg

aargentino1

Extra Hitter
The DCT pattern patent ran out a long time ago, so you see it and slight variations all over. All-Star makes a version I have seen for $199 (with Velcro) and the Mizuno MVP version is $150. Most have the original DCT web design, not the single post.

I have relaced 3 DCTs and all measured exactly 12.5". I have also relaced a few Vinci JBV-SBs and that pattern is very similar to the DCT without some of the usual design cues... it also measures 12.5".

item-23652vnhl.jpg

Rous how is the stiffness of the mizuno? I am leaning towards that now that you showed it to me

Hammer_62

Addicted to Softballfans
Vinci gloves imo are garbage, at least JBV-SB. Way too small of a softball 1b mitt. Highly avoid being disappointed. Guys WAYYYYY overhype this brand.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Nice pick up. Sorry I missed your question. The DCT and Vinci JBV-SB are pretty similar in size, at least the 6-7 I have worked on were.

aargentino1

Extra Hitter
Just got this dct and wow is it stiff. Thumb slot is small, digging into the knuckle pretty bad. Any tips on how to make this had boy open up nicely?

Trung1130

FREE AGENT FOR LIFE
Vinci gloves imo are garbage, at least JBV-SB. Way too small of a softball 1b mitt. Highly avoid being disappointed. Guys WAYYYYY overhype this brand.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not their own set of facts. Yes I am a Vinci Rep and if Rous is stating that the DCT and JVB-SB measure about the same size what would make it a Vinci too small in your opinion but not the DCT? I track all of the Vinci comments on this forum and please provide examples of the hype. I've actually directed all of the player reps to make factual statements and refrain from providing their opinions.

wcoastsoftball

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not their own set of facts. Yes I am a Vinci Rep and if Rous is stating that the DCT and JVB-SB measure about the same size what would make it a Vinci too small in your opinion but not the DCT? I track all of the Vinci comments on this forum and please provide examples of the hype. I've actually directed all of the player reps to make factual statements and refrain from providing their opinions.

Ha, I was going to quote this earlier too. I agree, I had no trouble with the 3 JVB-SB's I have owned, even the JVB-04 I owned swallowed the ball. I am preferring the DCT at this point, but nothing wrong at all with an SB model.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Just got this dct and wow is it stiff. Thumb slot is small, digging into the knuckle pretty bad. Any tips on how to make this had boy open up nicely?

Are you liking the size and quality? Whatever device/tool you shove in there to loosen it up, just make sure there aren't any sharp edges or points on it. Last thing you want to do is scuff/cut/split the lining inside.

aargentino1

Extra Hitter
So far so good. Besides it coming a little flattened in the box, the size seems just about right for softball. A little outwards bending of the thumb should be all it needs once the leather starts to get a little softer.