1st time in 25 years of softball

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
since my last thread was so crappy and a failure, this one will be worst.

In a game this past weekend, in which we got 1st hardware. We had ump's strike zone in the winners bracket champ, was absolutely horrible. Both pitchers were pretty upset. The opposing pitcher was getting the brunt of the bad calls, and he was throwing pretty good USSSA pitches. Bottom of 5th he was pretty frazzled, threw a pitch that was clearly a BALL in any sanction. Ump called a "strike", pitcher didn't say anything just got that "are you f'in kidding me look" and ripped off hit hat. Ump came out to chew the pitcher a new one for the 2nd time. The pitcher yelled "NO! NO! NO! I am not talking to you, I am not talking to you....you talk to my coach".

Both team busted out laughing.

Have to say in all my years, I have never seen a pitcher get p'ed off for a STRIKE being called.

TRaj2327

That'll happen when the consistency is horrendous. I've seen it MANY times.

Even better are the ones that has been called a ball all game and was clearly a strike, and then in the 6th inning, it suddenly becomes the strike it should have been. Then you have to ask, "why didn't I get that call earlier when I had to put everything on a tee for them?"

Well I had a guy get called out on a tag for over running first base yesterday. When I asked the umpire why he called him out his response was "when he crossed first base be was aimed towards second." WTF does that mean?

TRaj2327

I believe that is a judgment call, but there is generally supposed to be a clear and distinct movement to advance to second base. Running through the bag in fair territory or turning around counterclockwise doesn't count. The DISTINCT MOVEMENT TOWARD 2nd makes the difference.

Someone else can dig up the rule on that one.

I totallly agree with you there and if that was the case I wouldnt have a problem. If he would have told me he thought he made a move...maybe...but how does one aim towards a base. Bad choice of words.

whogotz

dilligaf?
i have seen it - and it was hysterical - pitcher getting squeezed real bad -throws one that landed in opposite batters box - STRIKE! he flipped out

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
We have a league umpire like this. Pretty sure he just flips a coin no matter where the pitch goes. Pitching against one of the guys I've played with a decent amount on weekends. First pitch is pretty much down the middle lands 6 inches behind the plate. Ump calls it deep(this is my pet peave) usssa there should be no such thing as deep, it's where the pitch crosses not where it lands. Next pitch lands on the line for the lefties batters box. Strike. Batter gives the wtf look. We both look at each other like I have no clue what a strike is here.

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
Unfortunately for P when we got back up in the 6th, he was tossing 6ft cookies, we hit 4 doubles in a row in only 4 pitches and 6 doubles total that inning. .

their CF walked off the field in the middle of the 6th with like 1 out.

TRaj2327

We have a league umpire like this. Pretty sure he just flips a coin no matter where the pitch goes. Pitching against one of the guys I've played with a decent amount on weekends. First pitch is pretty much down the middle lands 6 inches behind the plate. Ump calls it deep(this is my pet peave) usssa there should be no such thing as deep, it's where the pitch crosses not where it lands. Next pitch lands on the line for the lefties batters box. Strike. Batter gives the wtf look. We both look at each other like I have no clue what a strike is here.

So you can rocket pitches through the strikezone that don't clear a 3' hump and land 10' behind the plate?

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I had a guy get called out on a tag for over running first base yesterday. When I asked the umpire why he called him out his response was "when he crossed first base be was aimed towards second." WTF does that mean?

No call will ever top my old church league 10 years ago -

Bottom 7th, my team down 1, man on third with 2 out. Grounder to deep short, SS makes a fantastic stop, turns and fires Jeter-style, and pulls 1B off the bag...or so we thought. Umpire calls batter out. I'm in 3rd base coach's box and I notice the bag at first has moved about five feet from where it started.

"Wait, he's out? Throw pulled him up the line!"

"He kept his foot on the bag"

"He took the bag with him!"

"But he kept his foot on the bag. Out"

:wtf2:

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
Ump calls a pitch a strike to bring the count to 2-2. Coach disagrees from the dugout. Next pitch he calls a ball. Coach yells it was the same pitch. Words. Both say words.

Ump apologizes and says he's changing the first pitch to a ball and gives the opposing batter the walk.

Coach disagrees again. Lots.

Who cares. Rules? Who cares about rules. If you could pull something like that off at this complex they applauded.

juice64011

Addicted to Softballfans
In league last week the other team hit a ball off of the top of the fence, our outfielder caught it off of the fence and threw it in. The ump didn't know what was going on. The batter was caught in a run down between 2nd and 3rd. During the run down the ump was scratching his head and turned away from the play. Well our 3rd baseman missed the tag. The ump had to go ask an ump on a different diamond on what happens if a ball is caught off of the fence. I was amazed as it seems pretty obvious that it's a live play. He came back and called it a live play and gave us an out on the tag. The other team was pissed.

Also during that game a homerun ball landed on the paved sidwalk about 15 feet outside of the fence and bounced back into the diamond. There wasnt any controversy with that but I've never seen it happen before.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
ISA State semifinals a long time ago our 3B had a popup bounce out of his glove, against the fence, back into his glove. Blue called it a catch.

Makeup call was one of their guys being called safe at first when the throw beat him by at least a second.

Both teams had illegal players. We hit more DBOs.

mongohitballfar

Cool Deal
Last year we had a guy hit a ball and it hit off the light pole in left center and lands back in the field.... field ump signals home run.... the plate ump signals fair ball that is still in play. So the guy that hits the ball is running the bases because he saw the field ump signal it a HR.... ball gets thrown in and they tag him at 3rd and the plate ump calls him out. The coach and I talk with the plate ump and say how can you call him out when the other ump signaled a home run? He said I understand what you are saying but he's out. I said that doesn't make any sense. The other team's coach knew it was a home run and even told the ump that and he didn't want to budge. He finally changed the call to a ground rule double after going back and forth with us....:rolleyes:

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
I almost lost my composure once on an ump. I threw a strike (borderline) and the whole opposing dugout threw a fit over it. Next pitch, same height, same location. Even hit the same indentation on the soft batters box....called it a ball.

I must have asked the umpire to clean that plate about 6 times after that....

since my last thread was so crappy and a failure, this one will be worst.

In a game this past weekend, in which we got 1st hardware. We had ump's strike zone in the winners bracket champ, was absolutely horrible. Both pitchers were pretty upset. The opposing pitcher was getting the brunt of the bad calls, and he was throwing pretty good USSSA pitches. Bottom of 5th he was pretty frazzled, threw a pitch that was clearly a BALL in any sanction. Ump called a "strike", pitcher didn't say anything just got that "are you f'in kidding me look" and ripped off hit hat. Ump came out to chew the pitcher a new one for the 2nd time. The pitcher yelled "NO! NO! NO! I am not talking to you, I am not talking to you....you talk to my coach".

Both team busted out laughing.

Have to say in all my years, I have never seen a pitcher get p'ed off for a STRIKE being called.

This is some bobby bouche' grammer, wow

So you can rocket pitches through the strikezone that don't clear a 3' hump and land 10' behind the plate?

maybe not 10'...but you can get them back there 4-5' and it can go thru the strike zone....that should be a strike but i hardly ever see it called.....

my ump moment.....ump draws a line in the dirt (approx 2' from the point of the plate) and said any thing in front was a strike and behind was a ball....i happen to be catching and immediately wipe the line out while showing him a ball could land deeper and still be a strike...i did do it in a nice way and actually stood at the plate when i explained it to him.....he was a rookie ump....and he still umps in our league.....

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
This is some bobby bouche' grammer, wow

my grammar? really? Hey *** boy where is your red ink pen, Ms Johnson? I am just a dumb redneck from Indiana, I am not edJEWmakaded at least not very well!

But the greatest thing? Wanna take an IQ test against this illiterate bumpkin? You will probably lose.

my grammar? really? Hey *** boy where is your red ink pen, Ms Johnson? I am just a dumb redneck from Indiana, I am not edJEWmakaded at least not very well!

But the greatest thing? Wanna take an IQ test against this illiterate bumpkin? You will probably lose.

LMAO- i dont care where your from. It hurts my brain to ready your dumb a** sentence fragments that aren't even on par with modern internet exaggerated abbreviations, they're just retarded mumblings 4 words at a time.

You're name calling, so i guess you're sore about it.

And Humor me, whats your IQ

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!

No. Assuming (hate to assume) you play USSSA, there is no mention of "Deep" when referring to balls and strikes in the rule book. However in your statement you gave an example and said it didn't clear 3' so that alone makes the pitch not a strike, no matter where it lands.

A legally delivered pitch must clear 3' from release and pass through the zone above the plate between the batters shoulder and knee as if the batter was standing even with the plate. Something like that is stated in the rule book so don't kill me if I'm a little off. No where does it mention where it can land other than not hit the plate. A pitch can land behind the plate and off to the side if the pitcher can curve the ball within the confines mentioned above.

Some Conference players stand so far in front of the plate it would be almost impossible to deliver a pitch for a strike because it would never cross between a batters shoulders and knees and the plate which is why they mention as if the batter was standing even with the plate.

With all that said I know a few years ago when they held the Conference event here in Maryland they used some of the local umps...who are use to calling VERY low and flat pitches. Well the Conference guys were pissed because they were use to higher arc's. They got over it and played ball...which is what everyone should do. It's coming underhand at 12 mph and not too many of us are being paid to play so just hit the damn thing. All I ask an ump to do is be consistent. If they are calling them flat in the 1st, call them flat in the 7th etc.....

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
LMAO- i dont care where your from. It hurts my brain to ready your dumb a** sentence fragments that aren't even on par with modern internet exaggerated abbreviations, they're just retarded mumblings 4 words at a time.

You're name calling, so i guess you're sore about it.

And Humor me, whats your IQ

I love people arguing grammar and then writing "your" instead of "you're". Oh the irony. Then they use a comma where a period should be (or at the very least, a semi colon).

Last edited:

TRaj2327

No. Assuming (hate to assume) you play USSSA, there is no mention of "Deep" when referring to balls and strikes in the rule book. However in your statement you gave an example and said it didn't clear 3' so that alone makes the pitch not a strike, no matter where it lands.

A legally delivered pitch must clear 3' from release and pass through the zone above the plate between the batters shoulder and knee as if the batter was standing even with the plate. Something like that is stated in the rule book so don't kill me if I'm a little off. No where does it mention where it can land other than not hit the plate. A pitch can land behind the plate and off to the side if the pitcher can curve the ball within the confines mentioned above.

Some Conference players stand so far in front of the plate it would be almost impossible to deliver a pitch for a strike because it would never cross between a batters shoulders and knees and the plate which is why they mention as if the batter was standing even with the plate.

With all that said I know a few years ago when they held the Conference event here in Maryland they used some of the local umps...who are use to calling VERY low and flat pitches. Well the Conference guys were pissed because they were use to higher arc's. They got over it and played ball...which is what everyone should do. It's coming underhand at 12 mph and not too many of us are being paid to play so just hit the damn thing. All I ask an ump to do is be consistent. If they are calling them flat in the 1st, call them flat in the 7th etc.....

Yes. I do play Usssa and am very familiar with the rules. It's actually just about all I play. The strike zone has nothing to do with where the batter is positioned. It is the back shoulder at the back of the plate. Basically, if his back shoulder is at the front of the plate, the strike zone is more around the top of his head. Does it get called that way? Not very often.

My comment was more to show the flaws in saying that it is only where it crosses, not where it lands, and that pitches 10' behind the plate can be called a strike. They cannot. That would have to be a flat or unfairly delivered fast pitch. Most strikes would fall within 2-3 feet of the back of the plate of umpires actually called the 3' from release rule.

That would be flat, not deep.

Correct.