2 in the pinky?

Larrivee

The Veteran
You know what- I tried putting my index finger back in- it's actually more natural to close pinky to thumb with 2 in the pinky than with the index out.

So here's a question- one of the drawbacks I see for infielders is having so much of your palm exposed with your hand in the glove this way. What's keeping a manufacturer from making a model (or someone getting a custom) that has a lower cut designed for infielders to use this grip?

JJR12

Addicted to Softballfans
Two in the pinkie is easier to close the glove because you are now closing the glove on the gloves natural hinge. With fingers in every stall you have to create a new hinge point. You are fighting the glove instead of letting the glove work for you.

MFCEO

Star Player
I did 2 in the pink for the first time in a game last night, Im really liking it, but made my 1st error of the season on a hard hit liner that I got my glove on but some how it fell out.

13obby

Addicted to Softballfans
I go 2 in the pinky, 2 in the ring, middle and index stalls empty. Much better control, and a much larger pocket.

I do this as well. Whenever I want to appreciate how well it works, I go back to conventional for a moment and wonder how I ever played this way.

phatmanswingin

Phat Member
Good points made so I'll try it...but my glove is closed back and Im used to finger out but I'll try. Have some of you switched to open back so you can still put your index finger out?

Most of my gloves have been closed backs. Might seem strange but I put 2 in the pink, middle finger in the next slot and still put my first finger in the finger hole. This leaves the middle finger slot empty. Seems comfortable to me. I do one other person who does it this way as well.

Monstar25

Addicted to Softballfans
I broke in my new mizuno with 2 in the pinky. Played my first games with it the other day and the first catch I ever made with this glove as well as using 2 in the pink was me coming in from left, sliding on my knees and making the catch while dodging our 3B matrix style as he dove over me. Now I'm hooked. Lol

MaverickAH

Two in the pinkie is easier to close the glove because you are now closing the glove on the gloves natural hinge. With fingers in every stall you have to create a new hinge point. You are fighting the glove instead of letting the glove work for you.

So what you are say is that gloves are improperly designed to replicate the natural motion of the human hand & rather than taking the time to break in the glove to your natural motion you'd rather bend to the glove's will & hold your hand in an unnatural fashion?

No thanks.........

I mold my glove to my will. Not the other way around......

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
So what you are say is that gloves are improperly designed to replicate the natural motion of the human hand & rather than taking the time to break in the glove to your natural motion you'd rather bend to the glove's will & hold your hand in an unnatural fashion?

No thanks.........

No, naturally your hand closes thumb to middle finger. It's just a thumb to pinky break in is the most productive.

CatchersSB#31

Addicted to Softballfans
Much larger pocket, and easier to close when breaking in...I still can't close my GCP86x if I wore it normal. Which reminds me I need to beat the s*&$ out of it again before Tuesday.

Wildcat22

The Veteran
I broke in my new mizuno with 2 in the pinky. Played my first games with it the other day and the first catch I ever made with this glove as well as using 2 in the pink was me coming in from left, sliding on my knees and making the catch while dodging our 3B matrix style as he dove over me. Now I'm hooked. Lol

True story. That was sportscenter material.

Coonass

Addicted to Softballfans
Good points made so I'll try it...but my glove is closed back and Im used to finger out but I'll try. Have some of you switched to open back so you can still put your index finger out?

Once i switched over I kept my pointy finger in the glove, no need in hanging it out because its out of the pocket..

Another thing about the 2 in the pinky is that you can use a smaller glove.

phatmanswingin

Phat Member

No thanks.........

I do the exact same thing and my will is 2 in the pink. If, you don't like it don't do it. I'm not sure I understand your objection to someone else's opinion?

MaverickAH

No, naturally your hand closes thumb to middle finger. It's just a thumb to pinky break in is the most productive.

If we were just talking about closing your hand, you'd be correct, but we are talking about catching an object. Catch a softball barehanded & you will find your thumb & pinky to be diametrically opposed (thumb to pinky). Try it & you'll see.

I don't disagree with you about thumb to pinky being more productive. My point is that you don't need "two in the pinky" to accomplish this. I use the traditional "one in each hole" grip & always break in my gloves thumb to pinky with great results.

I do the exact same thing and my will is 2 in the pink. If, you don't like it don't do it. I'm not sure I understand your objection to someone else's opinion?

I'm not sure why you object to my expressing a differing opinion?

Frankly, I don't care what anyone else does as long as it gives them the results they want. If it makes you feel better, more confident, go for it! The 'feeling' of a deeper is solely from moving your finger away from the impact zone which results in additional give from an empty index finger slot. No, you do not have a bigger pocket.

My examination of this method leads me to believe that it leaves more of your palm outside of the glove than I think is neccessary. This resulted in a lack of feeling especially on larger sized gloves & seemed to increase the possibility of the glove flying off of your hand on hard shots. Glove up, on fly balls. it was acceptable. Glove down, for grounders (especially when on the move), it was not.

Again...... All of this is subjective. If you want a circle jerk of same beliefs, this is the wrong place to be. If you want to have a discussion of differing opinions, you're in the right place.

Dave.C

Addicted to Softballfans
It's weird. I used the same glove for the last 15 years and always wore it "normal" with one finger in each stall. But last year I bought a couple of A2000s and for some reason it feels more natural and comfortable to me to use 2 in the pinky with them and that's what I have been doing ever since.

masarobinson

Superstar in the making.
Once I made the switch I could never go back. It's just not natural anymore
I bought a new glove about a year ago and when my hand went in, it just naturally went this way. After playing this way so long now it feels very natural, going back to the old way would just be silly!

Brackett

Getting to old for this
I love it too. friend of mine got me doing it few years ago and he was an outfielder. I play 1st and 3rd and the hot shots go right in and feels good so i keep it that way..

Gun1now

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a 12.5 Nokona for the infield that I use 1 finger in each slot. I have a 13.5 Novak for the outfield that I use 2 in the pink. Each glove is broken in that way so it would feel unnatural any other way. If we switch in or out of 5-man mid-inning and I find myself using my infield glove for OF or vice-versa, it doesn't change my finger positioning. So, it has more to do with personal preference and how you break in your glove. Either way feels comfortable to me at this point with the right glove.

phatmanswingin

Phat Member
I'm not sure why you object to my expressing a differing opinion?

Frankly, I don't care what anyone else does as long as it gives them the results they want. If it makes you feel better, more confident, go for it! The 'feeling' of a deeper is solely from moving your finger away from the impact zone which results in additional give from an empty index finger slot. No, you do not have a bigger pocket.

My examination of this method leads me to believe that it leaves more of your palm outside of the glove than I think is neccessary. This resulted in a lack of feeling especially on larger sized gloves & seemed to increase the possibility of the glove flying off of your hand on hard shots. Glove up, on fly balls. it was acceptable. Glove down, for grounders (especially when on the move), it was not.

Again...... All of this is subjective. If you want a circle jerk of same beliefs, this is the wrong place to be. If you want to have a discussion of differing opinions, you're in the right place.
Sorry, It's not your opinion I object to, quite the contrary. It's your superior attitude that comes with it. But, as you say it's all subjective. My stance is, there is no "right" or "wrong" but this is the way I like it, while your stance (and I may be wrong) appears to be, hold the glove anyway you want but your way is stupid.:D

slobones

Addicted to Softballfans
I gave it a shot couple weeks ago and liked it, was hesitant at first, tried it playing OF and seems like I cant miss the pocket now lol been making some nice grabs. When playing 2b, I was'nt feeling it tho, back to my pointer finger out...

This. In the Of I use the 2 pinky method and for 1B. But when I play 2B I go to pointer finger out.

MaverickAH

Sorry, It's not your opinion I object to, quite the contrary. It's your superior attitude that comes with it. But, as you say it's all subjective. My stance is, there is no "right" or "wrong" but this is the way I like it, while your stance (and I may be wrong) appears to be, hold the glove anyway you want but your way is stupid.:D

You are wrong since I never called nor implied that anyone was stupid.

My stance is more like, "Hold your glove anyway you want but don't rationale it with incorrect reasoning". It's not natural since the hand doesn't naturally work that way........ It's doesn't create a bigger, deeper pocket since the glove hasn't changed size. It's just that your hand doesn't extend into the glove as far using two in the pink.......

It also seems that this method makes it easier to use that break point they put in gloves. As for me, I try to use that point as little as possible as I find using it shortens the usefull life of the glove but that's neither here nor there.

Fox27

Manager
I play infield and have been doing it for 10 years I think it forms a bettet pocket and shapes to the ball better