USSSA 2 quick questions

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
play #1

In a hit and touch 1st league is the batter out if he contacts 1st while still in possession of the bat? The call tonight was out but I was under the impression that it was a dead ball and it didn't matter.

Play #2

Ball is hit down the 3rd baseline and the left fielder boots the ball out of play. What is the correct call and award for the batter/runner? I was called a ground rule double.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Play #1 - The rule only pertains to when the ball is live. If the ball is dead, it's not an out.

Play #2 - It is a two-base award. The bases are awarded from the position of the runners at the time of the pitch.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Play #1 - The rule only pertains to when the ball is live. If the ball is dead, it's not an out.

Play #2 - It is a two-base award. The bases are awarded from the position of the runners at the time of the pitch.

That's what I thought for#1. So it was tbs correct amount of bases but not technically a ground rule double?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That's what I thought for#1. So it was tbs correct amount of bases but not technically a ground rule double?

That's correct. Ground rules are rules specific to that field to cover any potential situations that deviate from the rule book. For example, if trees hang over the outfield fence, there may be a specific local rule for that.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
Play #1- may be specific to the ground rules of the league/tournament. Umpiring SNA (Softball Nation here in VA), we will allow the hitter to touch first and sit, but we ask them to drop the bat before reaching first. Why, I don't really know, it doesn't make sense, but they ask us to go over that in the ground rules.

is a hr a dead ball??this is posted under the usssa heading,and i thought usssa made it an out for touching 1st with a bat in your hand,its the way they do usssa here.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
is a hr a dead ball??this is posted under the usssa heading,and i thought usssa made it an out for touching 1st with a bat in your hand,its the way they do usssa here.

Any ball is dead once it enters dead ball territory. The area behind the outfield fence is dead ball territory.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Could you give me the exact rule.

Sure...
USSSA 8-4-G: When, after hitting a fair ball, and while the ball is still live, the batter-runner carries the bat and touches first base or runs beyond first base while carrying the bat. Note: If this action results in the third out of an inning, no runs shall score.

There you have it...

Last edited:

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks NC. That is what the confusion is. This same play happened the week before and a different ump called it correctly(no out). But there is no reasoning with the ump we had Tuesday night. He is the worlds greastest ump in the world. Just ask him and he will tell you. Most of the time I don't have any problems with him other than the occasional disagreement with a safe or out call. All in all he is good you just can't get him to see that he might have made an incorrect call. He always jumps to the defensive.