2015 Future Review

Kentzell42

Straight Into Ketosis!
Was debating reviewing it here but after reading Wunbagga's review, I decided that my opinion varied slightly (no offense, we probably just swing differently) and others may find the different opinion useful. Here goes...

Bat weight is 27.5 and I didn't get an opportunity to check its actual scale weight. The endload is definitely noticeable, however, I wouldn't mind stepping up to a 28.5. The weight on the 27.5 is comfortable, but I think that I could capitalize on the extra weight going up. The endload felt real smooth going through the zone. As far as endloaded bats goes, for some reason, the way it's weighted really suits my swing compared to the Ressy Legit / JH Legit's I use to swing. If that makes any sense.

Weather was close to 60 degrees with no wind. Field dimensions are 275 all around with a 20' fence. I took all my swings from a tee (my BP partner is on deployment) and I utilized mostly Evil BP 52/300 (41 total), Evil BP 48/mid comp (11 Total) and 8 Tattoo 52/300 balls. Hit 120 balls total. I always hit the Evil BP 52's first, then the mid comps and finish off with game balls. I do that to check the progress of the break-in and see how much better the game balls come off at the end of each round.

First 20 swings or so felt really stiff but the ball still came off the bat extremely well. I had no adjustment issues swinging it, as I typically have been swinging last years Future (27.5). I wasn't too keen on the sound coming off...kind of sounded dead. But the barrel provided good response and I was able to consistently pepper the fence with hard line drives and had no problems clearing the fence. After the first round (60 balls) I could easily feel the barrel breaking in. Not a tremendous amount, but it was noticeable.

Second round of 60 and the barrel continued to respond better and really push those evil 52's out there. Balls got through the infield fast and the sound change of the bat was noticeable. The ones that I really got into I was able to get into the 320-330' range. What really impressed me was the undeniable crack that bat had once I finished up with the last 8 game balls. Maybe it impressed me more because I got last year's future with about 200 swings on it and didn't get to experience the break-in from the start. But it was one of those distinguished cracks that really makes you think about what you just heard.

Needless to say, I love it. I know they say its the same bat with a new paint job and the performance shouldn't be any different. Just wanted to give another point of view from one of the other reviews. I apologize for the lengthiness.

**UPDATE**

Put another 183 swings on her today, bringing the total to 303. Bat stayed the same for the first 60 or so swings then the last 2 rounds the performance absolutely blew me away. I hit the same balls as my original post and even the 52/300 evil BP balls came off with a great crack. Everything came off more crisp and the exit speed was great. I was able to feel the barrel flex, especially once I got to the tattoo 52s. As it stands, I think this bat is game ready. It's not hotter than last years but I'm just happy it's on par. I'll be getting another, but it'll be an ounce heavier.

Last edited:

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
I have last years model future in a 27.5. Out of wrapper with stock grip weights 28oz on the dot. Great review. Thanks for the info!!

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
i really think I am going to get one as my dual stamp bat for the year.... just waiting for a good price on one.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
LOL, you won't feel too bad once you hit it. I've been through several hundred bats and the Future is the first I've paid over 200 for, don't feel bad about it at all either.

Kentzell42

Straight Into Ketosis!
LOL, you won't feel too bad once you hit it. I've been through several hundred bats and the Future is the first I've paid over 200 for, don't feel bad about it at all either.

I was just telling a friend this yesterday. Worth every penny.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Swung my future today. Unwrapped it and 3rd hit was a bomb. Put around 120 hits and it sounds like a gun going off. Gonna out another 120 tomorrow. It's a touch too stiff for my liking but the results are there so I'll stick with it.

Kentzell42

Straight Into Ketosis!
Swung my future today. Unwrapped it and 3rd hit was a bomb. Put around 120 hits and it sounds like a gun going off. Gonna out another 120 tomorrow. It's a touch too stiff for my liking but the results are there so I'll stick with it.

I'll probably have about 500 swings on mine after next week. Will update again after. But I agree with your statement about the sound. It's like no other! Great bat. Definitely a little stiff but mine is loosening up nicely.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Update. My 27.5 has 400 hits. I hit 3 balls easily out of a 330 ft field with maybe 20 feet to spare. Sounds like a gun going off. Still stiff though :-(

Overall I am happy with the results and I hope after 400 hits it passes ASA compression on Saturday

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
Update. My 27.5 has 400 hits. I hit 3 balls easily out of a 330 ft field with maybe 20 feet to spare. Sounds like a gun going off. Still stiff though :-(

Overall I am happy with the results and I hope after 400 hits it passes ASA compression on Saturday

I've been hearing this is the issue. Teammate of mine's Future just barely passed after only 100 hits last year. There is no way it will this year. I only hit mine 20 times before it got tested and it passed last year no prob, but im nervous about this years testing.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
From what I've heard, they pass compression for awhile, this is one bat that doesn't feel like it really goes through big changes throughout its life. Hot out of wrapper and stays consistent as it goes.

Chico_O

Bat Addict
My '14 Future passed comp tests fine and it had well over 500 hits at the time, though my '13 Mercy with about 900 hits just barely passed... and my NIW '13 had the same results... which was odd, but whatever...

Kentzell42

Straight Into Ketosis!
From what I've heard, they pass compression for awhile, this is one bat that doesn't feel like it really goes through big changes throughout its life. Hot out of wrapper and stays consistent as it goes.

I really hope this is the case. It'd be nice if I could get another 700 swings or so out of it without fearing it won't pass compression.

jackrook

Addicted to Softballfans
Put another 100 hits bringing my total to 500. Bat is incredibly hot. Hottest ASA bat I own. Coincidentally it's also the hottest Utrip bat I own. Hitting 44/375 and 52/300 equally good. I'm happy with this bat. Only bad thing is it's an NR so when it blows, I will shed a tear. This bat may make me buy a returnable one.