2016 "Canadian Exclusive" L5

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Just picked one of these guys up on sale locally. $116 and change with the 10% discount for joining their email list.

IMG_20160523_133956_zps8ovlbk6c.jpg

IMG_20160523_133300_zps9ypofmif.jpg

IMX throughout and Easton's "progressive endload", so my 28oz has an alleged 3oz endload.

IMG_20160523_134052_zpsl6ic5nsp.jpg

Model number is "SP16FGLU". Forzani Group is the name of the company that owns the retail chain where it came from, so maybe "Forzani Group Limited USSSA"? There is no mention of this model on Easton's website, or any other site that I could find. Even the chain's own website shows a picture of a 2014 red L5. :rolleyes:

IMG_20160523_134042_zpsmzeuprds.jpg

Since the retailer where it came from is notorious for offering repaints as store exclusives, I expected this bat to feel exactly like a 2014 L5 but it didn't. 2014 L5 (which I also own) had a tight, pingy feel and an aluminum bat sound when it was new. It gradually loosened up a bit and the metal "ping" sound changed to more of a "crack" sound.

I put about 100 swings with high compression balls on the 2016 L5 and it had a deep "crack" sound from swing one. Feels very stiff and tight and didn't change during bp, but the performance is already there. Not one line of webbing yet. Sweetspot is smallish, which is expected for a new 12" barrel Easton. Endload is pretty heavy, but I stepped up from 26oz and bought a 28oz, so that's to be expected.

I'll update as I put more hits on it.

downd

Star Player
Let me know how it turns out. I also have the older L5.0 and I was curious about this year's model. For $90+tax it's a decent bat.

Btw, they just dropped the price to $99.99 (-10% for the email sub)

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I've got around 250-300 hits on mine now and it has a lot of webbing. Deep crack sound, probably the loudest bat I own. I normally don't notice how a bat sounds when I hit with it, but this one stands out.

I noticed something interesting when I changed the grip; the handle is painted to about 4" from the knob and on the unpainted section, you can clearly see Easton's spiral-wrapped SIC carbon. Plain as day.

I bought the bat expecting it to just be a repainted 2014 L5 or Utrip Salvo (12" barrel, full IMX), but with a SIC handle it's gotta be something different. Either a repainted Wegman, or maybe it actually is a unique model.

robokill

Manager
Thanks for the review. A teammate of mine bought one and it was misprinted with no stamps, then exchanged for an ASP SBE. Couldn't tell much from the 1 swing that was put on it :).

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Thanks for the review. A teammate of mine bought one and it was misprinted with no stamps...

Just completely bare where the stamps should be? I've heard of some guys on the Canadian forums having the same thing happen, but I haven't seen a picture yet.

robokill

Manager
Just completely bare where the stamps should be? I've heard of some guys on the Canadian forums having the same thing happen, but I haven't seen a picture yet.
Yeah that was me on the Canadian forums too, and yes, just completely bare where the stamps should be. Didn't get a picture unfortunately.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Btw, they just dropped the price to $99.99 (-10% for the email sub)

Took my receipt in today, SC has a 30 day price protection guarantee and they just refunded me the difference. Was tempted to grab a second L5 while I was there.

Used mine in a few league games with Hot Dots and it smokes them.

westville82

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought one yesterday, took the old grip off and on mine you can def see what looks like SIC carbon but that ends about four inches above the knob, the bottom 4" is a completely different color and look, there is also what looks like two split pins right where the two meet, one on each side. I dont know what repaint this bat is or if its a new bat all together but i have never had pins like that in a bat exept right down by the knob.

I hit with it today and the bat hits well, good line drives, feild is 280 and it has no problem putting it over the fence, pretty good deal for 79.99 i think (had a 20.00 off coupon)

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I bought one yesterday, took the old grip off and on mine you can def see what looks like SIC carbon but that ends about four inches above the knob, the bottom 4" is a completely different color and look, there is also what looks like two split pins right where the two meet, one on each side. I dont know what repaint this bat is or if its a new bat all together but i have never had pins like that in a bat exept right down by the knob.

I hit with it today and the bat hits well, good line drives, feild is 280 and it has no problem putting it over the fence, pretty good deal for 79.99 i think (had a 20.00 off coupon)

Hmmm, mine looks just like that minus the two dots. I doubt that they're split pins, SIC handled bats have the spiral-wrapped composite right from the knob to the taper. But who knows? I would've guessed that they were just cosmetic repairs to a couple of voids, but it's strange how they're both lined up perfectly. Were there matching dots on the other side?

westville82

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmmm, mine looks just like that minus the two dots. I doubt that they're split pins, SIC handled bats have the spiral-wrapped composite right from the knob to the taper. But who knows? I would've guessed that they were just cosmetic repairs to a couple of voids, but it's strange how they're both lined up perfectly. Were there matching dots on the other side?

Yeah i am not sure what they are, but they are on both sides like it goes right through, i have another one and it doesn't have them. And it has webbing like the old eastons, not like my L6.0 or my miken with the spiral webbing, well that i noticed so far at least.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Sounds like you got an odd one.

The webbing is typical though, mine has maybe 300 hits and is absolutely covered.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
i know im bringing up an ancient thread but i just scored one of these for a great price online NIW. I already own a '14 version with over 4000 hits on it (over 2000 from tee work this past summer due to league cancellations). I figured for the price you cant go wrong, as they offer great durability especially when using 40,44 and 47 core balls. Im surprised there are some still around after all these years.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
i know im bringing up an ancient thread but i just scored one of these for a great price online NIW. I already own a '14 version with over 4000 hits on it (over 2000 from tee work this past summer due to league cancellations). I figured for the price you cant go wrong, as they offer great durability especially when using 40,44 and 47 core balls. Im surprised there are some still around after all these years.

These were on clearance forever at $90-$120 Cdn and they just sat on shelves, everybody was jumping on the Worth/Miken bandwagon. Enjoy your find and report back after 500 swings.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
These were on clearance forever at $90-$120 Cdn and they just sat on shelves, everybody was jumping on the Worth/Miken bandwagon. Enjoy your find and report back after 500 swings.
I remember seeing these in the store, then they disappeared. You are correct about the Worth/Miken bandwagon, and for good reason. I was shocked when i opened up the box and saw that it was exactly the same one as you purchased years ago. Love the black/orange combo. Website showed a picture of the red '14 version, so i was pleasantly surprised. Just have to wait for spring to get here.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Love the black/orange combo. Website showed a picture of the red '14 version, so i was pleasantly surprised. Just have to wait for spring to get here.

Ok, I know exactly where you ordered it from; one of the reviews on that site was a guy complaining that he got the wrong bat.

'14 L5 was pure IMX, the exclusive has a SIC carbon handle if you peel the grip but it isn't advertised anywhere on the bat.

bigcam406

Addicted to Softballfans
You are correct. Noticed this when changing the grip today. I guess its a unique combo, whether it helps performance wise, who knows? Great deal none the less.