2016 Mikens compression test

T Ripp

<font color="gray">GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER</font>
Just curious has anyone had any of the new Mikens compression tested and how are they holding up? I know it's little early to be asking but I know some people have been playing in warmer parts of the states and have access to testers so was just curious.

Haven't seen one tested yet but we've been swinging this year's Black for a little bit in So Cal weather and I would be surprised if it passed. Sounds nasty though :)

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
They mainly test at 275 with no hits. If you bp it for 50-100 hits and then game it only, you should be fine. I've seen a demo that had 400-500 swings test at 230.

T Ripp

<font color="gray">GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER</font>
They mainly test at 275 with no hits. If you bp it for 50-100 hits and then game it only, you should be fine. I've seen a demo that had 400-500 swings test at 230.

Thanks that's nice to know. My Freak12 lasted pretty much all year and passed compression up til the last sanction ball I played. That's with hitting Stadium balls and Classic M balls in BP. played Utrip and NSA so game swings consisted a lot of 52/275 and Classic M's. Thing lasted about 3K hits before blowing so if I can get same out of this years I'm more then happy. More of a cut the ball then square it up smash hitter.

Raiderfan81

4theFallen Fanatic
My 2015 4TF almost failed out of the wrapper with 0 hits (225 on one side/235 on the rest). Needless to say I wasnt happy and it will be seeing 0 bp swings. I dont know what my triad is at but it cant be far away with 2k swings. Ill try and remember to update when my freak 12 is tested.

seadog

Mr. Automatic #22
I just compression tested two NIW 0 hit Freak30's this past weekend. They both tested at 260.

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
You have to remember, the normal tourney is a Classic M or Classic Plus ball. These bats are made to use those balls primarily. The normal player will not hit Stadium balls unless they purchase them themselves.

If you're going to test a bat, Id suggest testing it without the wrapper on. Not saying the wrapper could change the test but you should test the actually barrel.

Eugene84

Starting Player
I took a Freak30 26oz out of the wrapper and hit it indoors with a mix of balls, from classic plus and there was one stadium in the bucket. I am more of a base hitter but my buddy I was hitting with is a power guy and played local B USSSA here for a while. After about 15 swings from each of us it had a small glue rattle. Balls were already coming off well and at around 80 swings it developed a small paint crack. I hit it probably another 40 times indoors with some good balls two days later and at that point it sounded like a maraca. I figured since it had maybe 120 swings or so, I would send it in and get another with a return, which Miken was cool enough to do. I would assume at about 100 swings it would be close to testing around 220. Note I did not say "failing" because for some reason, they lowered the pass/fail threshold to 210 for north Texas. Tourney ball here is all USSSA and we hit classic plus balls. I would assume the F30 should last a while with classic plus balls. As far as harder/better balls, the durability is not there. The F12 seems to hold up to harder balls and colder weather IMO. We have a local USSSA league that uses Thunder ZNs and most nights over winter it was <40 degrees and the F12 held up great, still no rattle or paint cracks at all.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
just following i have the Freak 30 and Freak Black on the way ill update next week when i have my first tournament

Eugene84

Starting Player
just following i have the Freak 30 and Freak Black on the way ill update next week when i have my first tournament

I know a lot of people love the black, but if I am swinging any kind of EL bat, I prefer the shorter barrel. Let us know what you think.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to remember, the normal tourney is a Classic M or Classic Plus ball. These bats are made to use those balls primarily. The normal player will not hit Stadium balls unless they purchase them themselves.

If you're going to test a bat, Id suggest testing it without the wrapper on. Not saying the wrapper could change the test but you should test the actually barrel.

The stadium is an approved ball. If the bat can't hit them it either needs to say so, cost less, or have a different stamp. You think any of those will happen?

dbantz

Manager
My 28oz Freak Black Balanced was 275 all around niw, and just tested it yesterday after 1-150 swings and it was 245-250.

philphan89

Addicted to Softballfans
I know a lot of people love the black, but if I am swinging any kind of EL bat, I prefer the shorter barrel. Let us know what you think.

I had the freak black from last year and thats what switched me to mikens.

I like the shorter barrels myself