2016 USSSA Nighthawk Review

Chudder

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry it took so long to get this out, I had been dealing with a back injury for a few months and wasnt comfortable throwing something up, here it is.

Quick Review:

Maple Park, Hitting 10’ behind Home plate
320’ LF Line
360’ CF
340’ Power Alley

Conditions:
Sunny, >10MPH wind going out to CF 30+ Deg C, 95ish F.

Balls:
Mix of old Worth Grey Dots and Gold Dots, there was some decent ones in the bag and punky ones.

My Review:

I have been doing this for years now, and I find this more and more difficult to do each and every time. There is no secret that I have represented Louisville Slugger and Easton in the past and now I’m with Mizuno, I want to maintain integrity while giving an honest opinion/advice without just toeing the company line. Every bat out there has Pros as well as Cons and I really do believe the best way for you to improve is to work hard in the gym and in BP to get those results and not chase the hottest bat of the summer.

Weighting:

Coming over from Easton it was a bit of an adjustment getting used to the swing weight, I really loved how Easton bats swung and I was a MASSIVE fan of the 12” barrel. After a few BPs I did adjust and I would say that this bat swings more like the Miken/Worth bats vs Easton but ultimately it does have a little shorter barrel. Weighting is lighter as well, I swung a 26oz Easton bat and I have found that I am way more comfortable with a 27oz Nighthawk and I would recommend that when you buy on to go up and oz. The endload isn’t as aggressive as the Easton bats as well, the loading is a lot more like the 27oz OG Z2000.

Durability:

I heard questions about the durability when I 1st got my 27oz EL USSSA so I immediately went out and bought 8 dozen 52/300s to hit in BP, I am STILL using the same bat that I got back in early March, it is well over 4,000 swings right now and now and I’m really starting to believe this bat is really durable. We don’t play and ASA in Canada so I can’t speak for the Dual Stamp model.
Performance:

I have never had exit speeds with the 52/300 core balls like I’m getting right now, this bat chews them up and spits them out. I would say that distance wise it hangs with everyone else however where I am really noticing the difference is off the bat and through the infield. The barrel is very forgiving although I would personally like it to be shorter but that’s just a personal preference, however with the larger barrel I have had a lot more success stick handling the ball this year and it is reflecting in my average with less miss hits when I am trying to shoot the ball through holes in the infield.

All in all this bat is very good, and its well worth picking up and giving a shot. We are still very active doing demos still so feel free to give one of a shout and come out to try one. Feel free to give me a shout and I will try to answer any questions.

Cheers,

RG43

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fhWKEozSc[/ame]

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG-20160620-WA0010_zpsygjhgpa6.jpg

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG-20160620-WA0009_zpsmdemrw1e.jpg

Last edited:

BraveSox

Addicted to Softballfans
Great review as usual....
Need a chudder load with smaller barrel. Hit this bat a few times, not my thing....but maybe it was the weight as you mentioned. Seemed like a few miss hits still went well, but then again you could hit a beer cap out with a broom stick. Durability must be great if you got 4000 swings on it, but when does it switch gears? Where is it for compression test? Personally I'd like to see you hit a Worth Fulk if you like the weighting of an Easton and a hot short barrel...but unfortunately that can't happen...lol
Hope the back is 100% ASAP.

THESHOE

Starting Player
The Utrip model hits the 40, 44 and 52 balls very very well.

47 though I found the bat too soft and fragile feeling. Played a tourney with 47/500 NSA Louisville balls recently, and I hated the bat, switched to an old SP13L1 Easton for that. Not that the Hawk didn't pop, but the feel was bad and nothing super impressive pop wise. Switching to the Easton was likely the right move.

As for the 40, 44 and 52 - I swing a mix of these balls at BP, hits all of those very well, and my first hawk is at 1200+ swings now. Not even a sight of a problem. I don't see any cracks or webbing to worry about.

I wouldn't swing anything harder than 52 with the dual stamp models though.

How does it do against 44's