2018 Reviews: DC41 ASA, Riot, EST XL ASA, Twisted Mistress, Freak Maxload 20th Edition ASA

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Wassup bros!

Sorry it took a while to get my reviews posted. I hope you guys enjoy em. Its been a few months since i hit, so i had to get into a groove. It was pretty difficult pitching because there was a strong wind blowing in. We used 52’s and Rockets with the ASA bats and a mix of everything with the utrip bats.

As always, critiques are always welcome. I’m still working on my hitting, so feedback is appreciated. I’m currently working on letting the ball come to me and trying to cut the ball more effectively and maintaining good batspeed.

DC41 ASA:
This bat was a 27 oz with a pronounced 1 oz EL. It wasn’t over bearing, but it did allow the bat to do a lot of the work when you got it around. It swung pretty smooth, but it did feel like it need some break in, as opposed to the other bats on the ASA lineup. With that being said, it still performed well and i enjoyed swinging it.

EST XL ASA and Freak Maxload ASA:

I was the first to hit this and the Maxload in the wrapper. Both felt very similar in weighting and both had the ping sound typically found in Worth/Miken bats. I will say that compared to the DC41, these did feel like these were game ready in the wrapper. It could just be that i prefer the half oz EL, but the sweetspots felt bigger than the DC, even though their technically the same bats with different EL.

These felt identical to the ASA Harvey/Freak PT/BB Legits, which are my favorites for 2017/2018.

Here are my tips if you are having trouble picking your ASA bat in the Miken/Worth lineup.

1. Choose a weight preference.

2. If you’re on a budget, get the BB Legit...

3. Choose the prettiest colors that match your team jerseys.

4. Buy bat!

Riot:
This felt very much like a Freak12, performance and weight wise, which i am a huge fan of. My buddy that was pitching put about 20-30 hits on it before i swung it. It had the typical ping noise, and it did feel like it needed a little break in period, but i would have no problem taking this straight to the field and gaming it. It hit really well with all balls and got better with each hit.

Twisted Mistress:

This was the most surprising bat that we had out there. I’m not saying that it was the hottest out of the lot, Miken and Worth already had that reputation. The Twisted Mistress was up there with them really quickly, which usually isnt the case with a Demarini. As stated in other threads, durability is going to be a question with these. 25 swings in, this was webbing up hard! I swung it a few times and it def let you know when you got a hold of it. I put it down cause i didn’t wanna crack it...lol...

IMO, it felt like a mix of a well broken in CL22 Stadium with a little bit of an RD28 responsiveness if that makes sense...

One weird thing was that right after we hit it and noticed the webbing, it also felt like the barrel was compressing becase of the impact to the balls, and had a wavy feel when you ran your hands acrossed the barrel. But they went away after the bat sat for a while when we were swinging the other bats. You couldn’t see it, otherwise i would’ve took some pics...but you could feel it. Not sure what made it do this...just thought it was weird.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Addicted to Softballfans
Great reviews, I appreciate the honesty. I’m like you, half ounce endload is my bread and butter.

dunkky

i just saw all your bp videos. in my eyes, your swings looked much better in 2015 than now. maybe not true, but it did seem that way.

Jusrah99

i just saw all your bp videos. in my eyes, your swings looked much better in 2015 than now. maybe not true, but it did seem that way.

I was a lot younger back then...lol...

I did change the way i hold the bat, now i try to be more relaxed...

I know i was pretty inconsistent back then...which is why i’ve been makin tweaks on my swing...still a work in progress...

Thanks for pointing that out bro...i’m gonna look back and compare them...

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
Well done as usual, real player taking real swings. I'm loving the DC41and was curious about the Freak 20 ASA. Thanks again

Of everything you've tried, would you still take the ASA Harvey if you had to pick 1?

dunkky

nobody is hercules against age. I could be totally wrong, it's little hard to describe, it looks like as if you are swinging much heavier bats in 2018. you seem to have better control of the bat in 2015 in my eyes. but again, what the hell do i know.

2015 swing

2018 swing

Jusrah99

Well done as usual, real player taking real swings. I'm loving the DC41and was curious about the Freak 20 ASA. Thanks again

Of everything you've tried, would you still take the ASA Harvey if you had to pick 1?

Thanks bro!

Yea, Honestly, i would take the Freak20 just cause i like those colors the best. The Harvey, Freak20, and EST felt so similar that only colors would matter to me...

If you want a Harvey on a budget, get a BB Legit!

Jusrah99

for real tho that dude flying the kite out there had the right idea of how to spend his afternoon.

Lol...yup, it was a mother and son flyin their kites...

We did like it cause we didn’t have to go chasin balls too far...

Towards the end i started trying to cut the ball to see if i could hit the end of the fence, which was about 320’ into the wind...got a few pretty damn close...but thats when my phone ran out of storage...

I’m gonna make the next video with only cuttin action

Jusrah99

nobody is hercules against age. I could be totally wrong, it's little hard to describe, it looks like as if you are swinging much heavier bats in 2018. you seem to have better control of the bat in 2015 in my eyes. but again, what the hell do i know.

2015 swing

2018 swing

I swing the same weights, but generally i have no issues with the heavier stuff...still prefer a 27 oz with 0.5 oz EL....

In the 2015 vid, i am gripping the bat tighter and it seems like a have a faster swing...but i kept pulling the ball, even on outside pitches...i didn’t feel like i had any control of where the ball was gonna go and i was just swinging as hard as i could...

Now, i try to keep my hands relaxed and have a balanced load with my lower half until i wind up to explode through the ball. I seem to have better bat lag now, which i guess makes it seem like i’m not swinging as hard. I do feel now that i can go anywhere i want to from either line, but still practicing baskside cutting...

With the tweaks that i’m making i need to find where my general money ball HR pitch is so i can have that in my back pocket when needed...

i think you make valid points, but i think i hit the ball a lot harder and farther now...which is cool cause i do see how it looks like i’m not putting a lot of effort in it nowadays...that last video when i was practicing cutting the shows some decent bat lag, but still a work in progress...

I’ll try to swing harder in my next vid to see if theres any difference with my 15’ swing...

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans

2015 swing

2018 swing

the new vid seems to have worse pitching (he mentioned the wind), which can make your swing look funky if you're not wanting to take a bunch of pitches

dunkky

now that you mention it, it does look like you let the bat does more work in 18 swings. hey either way, you got great swing man. I wish i can clear that damn 300. I used blue flame today for the first time, that thing is worth every penny. i was struggle with timing 1st 40 swings, i started to making some good contact afterward though. what i noticed was that i think i am too used to swinging stationary balls that my muscle does not know how to deal with resistance presented by 13mph balls. i felt like i was being over-powered as i could not swing through in a commanding manner like i did off the tee.. that's sad. i should bp more with blue flame to wake my muscle up!

Jusrah99

the new vid seems to have worse pitching (he mentioned the wind), which can make your swing look funky if you're not wanting to take a bunch of pitches

This is true! Wind was crazy and allergies were actin up...

now that you mention it, it does look like you let the bat does more work in 18 swings. hey either way, you got great swing man. I wish i can clear that damn 300. I used blue flame today for the first time, that thing is worth every penny. i was struggle with timing 1st 40 swings, i started to making some good contact afterward though. what i noticed was that i think i am too used to swinging stationary balls that my muscle does not know how to deal with resistance presented by 13mph balls. i felt like i was being over-powered as i could not swing through in a commanding manner like i did off the tee.. that's sad. i should bp more with blue flame to wake my muscle up!

Thanks bro...just keep practicing...good technique will help you clear 300’. Work on getting good backspin while you’re BP’n too...

I need to get a blue flame machine...