27.5 USSSA Reckoning review

jtrain63

Glove Breaker
Lol, you said hot as a COMbat.....you're adorable. COMbats are good for hard balls maybe. Don't see a lot of combat swingers around me clearing the fence. J/S....maybe u have different success with a polished turd.

combats are not as well known but hit 52's well. the orange derby boy is tough to beat. i currently switch between the DC-41 and guilt.

codyp333

Addicted to Softballfans
It's all about what bat feels good in your hands. Combats do not get a lot of recognition but man for the prices they are top notch in my book. I only have used the usssa versions and no experiences with Asa or dual bats. There customer service is the nicest in the business.

Lol, you said hot as a COMbat.....you're adorable. COMbats are good for hard balls maybe. Don't see a lot of combat swingers around me clearing the fence. J/S....maybe u have different success with a polished turd.

I love my Easton's right now but I have a teammate that swings only Combat and he mashes. Base hits, bombs, it doesn't matter.

camjo23

Addicted to Softballfans
My reckoning ua far from a turd. I have a dual stamp with under 75 swings and it hits both balls well sb12 and classic M

Compared to Legits and 2pc Mikens it's a TURD!!!! The SIS comp tests are BS...they test 300+ in the wrapper.....not 250!

Yatzeelogoz

Stop it Stoopit
Compared to Legits and 2pc Mikens it's a TURD!!!! The SIS comp tests are BS...they test 300+ in the wrapper.....not 250!

It's def not a turd especially the dual stamp....its obviously not game ready in 50 swings like the freaks and legits but its a def very good stick...I'll update when I have ove 200 cuts

juby23

Addicted to Softballfans

Disclaimer.....I've always been an Easton guy but rarely comment on bats. That said, I'm swinging the CL22 this year and love it. The Worth and Mikens are plain dumb, right out of the wrapper. I agree with you on the Worths and Mikens but you're wrong on the new Flex and the Reckoning. We've been testing for tournaments for years here in Cincinnati so we all have ready access to testers. I've seen first hand both of these new eastons testing at 255/260 in the wrapper. I've also seen some at 300 but more have been at 260 than 300.

codyp333

Addicted to Softballfans
Like I said previously mine at 120 hits is already at 235 so that's as hot as any other manufacturers at that hit count. I don't think I would want a bat any lower than that unless we didn't have comp test.

dpadan17

Will play for beer!!!!!
Got to hit this in some games in the past week. The bat has around 25 hits on it.

1. Graphics- simple and sweet. The bat has a sheen to it that makes ball marks very hard to stick to the bat. After all my swings, there were still no ball marks even when I cut the ball on a few of the hits. I like the simple design of the logo/s and lettering.

2. Performance- Out of the wrapper, this bat performs quite well. Some of the 25 hits, went out on a 300 ft. fence with good distance. Other balls were hit well (sweet spot seems pretty generous IMO). The bat has a crisp feel to it when hitting, and exit speed is very nice. As for comparison to other bats? I would have to say that out of the wrapper, this bat performs much better than all the other eastons i have swung from NIW. The distance from the bat is quite well, but again, the bat hasn't been broken in yet.

3. Feel- The bat has a very good crisp feel to it, but much softer than all the other Easton's i have swung. (L1/L2/L5/2013 wegman/2013 helmer). This bat almost feels like the old CNT/FLex/Extended line. Or even going back further.....a synergy 2/+ line that has been broken in. The endload on the bat isn't weighted to much. I would have to say that it is more balanced than endloaded. Really reminds me of the endload of the 2013 black/purple wegman. There is some there, but not too much.

4. Durablilty- Obviously i cannot elaborate too much on this because the bat has only 25 hits on it. (But for grins....i did test it after them and it still compression tested at 260). I will update this later when i get around 200 hits on it.

Overall, the bat is a good. I would recommend this bat to anyone that likes Easton bats. It looks like Easton has stepped up their game to try and get bats more ready "out of the wrapper". Stay tuned for an update on this bat when i get more swings on it.

Ok. Got about 200 hits on this bat. I have to say, my initial post about compression was off. Might have been the tester, but my last 2 tournaments this bat tested at 285/290. So this thing really needs to break in a LOT more to get a good gauge on how it performs.
That being said, this bat hits the zn's very well. For being "not broken in" this bat performs very well. Cannot wait to get this thing to test around 250 and see what happens.

And for those who say it is a turd, you are comparing a bat that tests around 240/250 ish out of the wrapper (miken/worth). Apples and oranges my friend. Get both bats on the same level and we shall see what is better.
This is why I got rid of my fulk elite and got a reckoning. After 100 swings on the bat, it failed compression testing. Stupid stupid stupid. Who wants to pay $160-200 to have a bat fail so quickly? So I went back to Easton (see review above about how the wegman purple/black was one of my fav's)

Anyone got one of these with above 500 hits? Any clue the compression test number? And all that good stuff like what kind of softballs being hit etc.

KinGClowN

Half Man Half Amazing
This bat is not hot out of the wrapper at all lol neither was the black/gold helmer and neither is any other Easton. Put about 100 swings on this thing with Stadiums and still testing over 260 and feeling like ****.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
After about 100 hits with 52/300s by reckoning tested around 300. Id say it now has at least 400 hits on it with 52/300s and it tested a tad over 250.

RaiderKit

Addicted to Softballfans
Uh Wrongo. Combats are very hot sticks. Well, were I should say. RIP Combat. A lil fragile sometimes tho.

take two

Addicted to Softballfans
I recently picked up one and put 30 swings on a tee with classic m's, took it took my league game and the sound completely changed on the 3rd at bat. The Distance was not too far behind my broken in 100h, Looks like a keeper.

Thomas v

Addicted to Softballfans
Any updates on the usssa model with a lot more swing on it?
Just picked one up for cheap so I'm interested in hearing how hot this these things get with tons of hits on em?

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Its legit, up there in performance with my broken in red knob DC...

**we hit 52's out here if that makes a difference to anyone...

Any updates on the usssa model with a lot more swing on it?
Just picked one up for cheap so I'm interested in hearing how hot this these things get with tons of hits on em?

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Its legit, up there in performance with my broken in red knob DC...

**we hit 52's out here if that makes a difference to anyone...
I second this guy ^^^^ they are legit

I swing a '16 Utrip Patriot, '16 Mercy, and Utrip and ASA Reckonings all 52's here.

Thomas v

Addicted to Softballfans
I ve been putting a lot of work in on mine a after 200+ plus swings it just opened up and has a nice loud crisp crack sound when you hit the ball solid. Sweets pot is big in my opinion. Crushes the classic m s as well even does great with the 52s for the 110$ price tag I got it for. One of the best pickups in last few years .
Bat now has 6-700 hits and going strong and is hot. Right behind my broken in 16 freak 30

Bump for more updates on more reckoning with tons of hits.

Last edited:

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
I got a utrip reckoning and as stated before, the barrel was soft compared to the older eastons i have owned/swung, 2014 L1 & 2013 L6 (i know its an ASA stick and they dont compare but still a log lol). I am extremely impressed with the performance of this bat at such a low swing count for an easton and at the price they are at now, you definitely cannot beat it. a definite improvement for Easton and I'm happy with mine.

Last edited:

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Bump this thread from the dead. My utrip reckoning has IDK how many hits but recently the sound changed from the Easton crack to more of a worth/miken sound. The bat is fire, I'm almost positive this bat fails compression now. Are the helmer flex and reckoning the same with different weights?

Anybody looking to get rid of theirs?

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
Bump this thread from the dead. My utrip reckoning has IDK how many hits but recently the sound changed from the Easton crack to more of a worth/miken sound. The bat is fire, I'm almost positive this bat fails compression now. Are the helmer flex and reckoning the same with different weights?

i believe the 2016 Helmer Flex and Helmer Reckoning have the same specs except the end loads, Helmer flex was a full ounce incorporated into the bat weight(26,27,28) and the reckoning was additional half ounce (24.5,25.5,26.5,27.5,28.5). both 2 piece, 13.5" barrels.

On the 2017 Helmer Flex they made it a 2 piece, 12" barrel tct composite with flex tech, and are weighted with extra half ounces additional, (26.5, 27.5, 28.5)

Last edited:

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
The Reckonings were all the same which was not additional endload to the Flex but just a .5oz endload in all weights. Picture taking this years baker and adding .5oz endload to all weights. Basically what they did. this holds true to the 25.5 and up. The 24.5 I felt literally felt like a little sledgehammer. Maybe a mistake, but my thoughts were that it was so light that they may not have any weight in the handle. Just a hollow bat with the endload so you feel every bit of the .5oz.

The 2016/2017 Helmer Flex (black). Simply stated that is was endloaded. Talking to people in the know I was told it was a progressive endload just not as aggressive as years past. I was told the 26oz/.25oz endload, 27oz/.5oz endload and 28oz/1oz endload.
More like the endload of their endloads in the SRV line where they called it a slight endload, later in some exclusives they called it a "pro style endload".

The 2017 Helmer (green) is a progressive style again starting with a lower endload than the traditional 1oz. The 2017 starts at .5oz at 26.5oz, 1oz at 27.5 and 1.5oz at 28oz. I know they state .5oz endload on the site and technically that is what they are. For instance 26.5 with a.5oz endload, to make the 28.5 they simply added an oz in the end and an oz in the handle. So it swings light because of the weight distribution but some of the mass is still there to help.

The Vet once again is progressive. Not as sledgy as before but the closest you will find to the last few years. 26oz/1oz, 27oz 1.5oz and 28/2oz. Same concept with weight distribution as the green Helmer but has just a touch more on the end in all weights.

Last edited:

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
i had a 2017 ASA helmer in 26.5oz, no way was it only a .5oz endload

I was speaking about the USSSA models. I can't comment on the ASA models because I have never engaged in conversation about them, nor do I own one.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans

Another update. Its been about 2 weeks since my Reckoning switched gears and it now has 2 separate vertical cracks and a huge chunk rattling around inside. I'm not sure how much longer she is going to last.

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
What type of balls you hitting?

How many hits you think you have on it?

Mainly 52/300s. a couple bld 44/375s, blue dots and a stadium ball. Those only come around every 40-50 swings. I would guess it has nearly 2000 swings if not more.

BigDawgz

Extra Hitter
i pulled out my Utrip Reckoning this past weekend and love the sound of the bat, hitting mostly stadiums, keeps up with my Mikens.