2nd Annual NYC Invitational - Mem Day Wknd 2013

Swash35

Addicted to Softballfans
After a successful first year, Swash will again be hosting the NYC Invitational with the hopes of it being bigger and better. We had 10 teams last year and are hoping for double that this year. Details below:

When: Saturday May 25th - Monday May 27th, 2013 (will only use Monday if necessary)

Where: Staten Island, NY (Willowbrook Park and CSI, necessary)

Format: Double elimination

Pitching: Restricted Modified/Bowling...call it what you want, no slingshot allowed

$350 entry fee and cash prizes/trophy will be given out based upon number of teams.

Contact us if interested or with any questions at [email protected]

Last edited:

Swash11

Addicted to Softballfans
Mich Team

We had a deal set up with a local chain hotel for discounted room rates which we can set up again. I think it was $80 a night which is pretty cheap for NYC on a holiday weekend.

blakcherry329

We had a deal set up with a local chain hotel for discounted room rates which we can set up again. I think it was $80 a night which is pretty cheap for NYC on a holiday weekend.

That's for sure.

What kind of balls are being used?(no homo:D)

catch21

Addicted to Softballfans
dannyboys are in again. hoping to repete. was great to play tourny ball again after not playing for so many years

alex66

Addicted to Softballfans
I have a question, you distinctly mention "no worked bats" what will you be doing to prevent the use of illegal bats???

Our leagues have all switched to the clincher, which really eliminates tampered bats altogether!

Swash11

Addicted to Softballfans
its really difficult to do anything about the bats. Tournaments have tried to do compression tests on bats but shaved bats got through anyway. I would think in a restricted modified tournament that the gentleman playing the game would act as such and not use that type of equipment.

Most of the leagues in the city have also switched to clinchers but the ball just dies after it gets hit hard twice.

The biggest thing we can do to help avoid potential injury is that if you square to bunt you cannot swing through, protecting the corner infielders.

I'm open to other suggestions if you have any.

Swash11

Addicted to Softballfans
MemDayWkd

Hope everyone had a great holiday season. Just a reminder we'll be accepting deposits immediately for any teams wishing to participate. There was a lot of chatter locally with the success of last years tournament and are hoping to see some of you guys out here this summer.

Swash35

Addicted to Softballfans
No, Platt will not be allowed to throw. Nothing against Steve, and we'd be happy to have him play with Degrodt's using another pitcher like McClinton, but there was way too much controversy with him at nationals and that's not what we're looking for with our tournament. None of us were at nationals so I can't really comment as to how legal or illegal he was but this is just what we've decided.

Angel - to answer your question, we've spoken to some of the guys out in Michigan and, though nothing is definite, it sounds like there is some interest from at least one team. So my guess is the question was asked because they're contemplating entering a team.

kodiak17

Addicted to Softballfans
No, Platt will not be allowed to throw. Nothing against Steve, and we'd be happy to have him play with Degrodt's using another pitcher like McClinton, but there was way too much controversy with him at nationals and that's not what we're looking for with our tournament. None of us were at nationals so I can't really comment as to how legal or illegal he was but this is just what we've decided.

Angel - to answer your question, we've spoken to some of the guys out in Michigan and, though nothing is definite, it sounds like there is some interest from at least one team. So my guess is the question was asked because they're contemplating entering a team.

Hoadley was out there ask him

BLAR13

Addicted to Softballfans
I was asking just to stir some crap up on the boards.
I would love to face Platt I have faced him before no worries about facing him again.
My team is either going to Wisconsin or to New York Memorial Day I am just waiting out some details from WI. WI is our first choice but if not then NY here we come.

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
Blar you guys coming to which one in WI? I will not be with Little Creek this year and not sure which one your refferring to :)

WI would love to have you guys and more!!!!!

BLAR13

Addicted to Softballfans
Press Box Bulldogs were supposed to throw a tournament but it looks like it will not be happening. So I have begun to prepare my guys for a New York trip.

Diggity4223

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats awesome and wish we had more teams just commit to come to Sconnie and play. Get that feel early on with some solid national teams in one tourny. I still would love to see NY one time and play out there..... I have maybe 2-3 years left in the tank(knee) and want to get out there to face some of the east coasters....

Have a great spring and hope to see you during labor day. Maybe talk some guys into going to the fourth celebration too!!!! Not sure I can do PoHo twice a year ;)

Swash35

Addicted to Softballfans
The payouts last year were not substantial - I think it was $500 for first. It's a fortune to get permits for fields in NY and last year we had more fields (8) than needed. We've cut back on fields this year (4) and are expecting a larger field of teams so the prize money will be more substantial...and obviously the more teams, the more prize money we can give out.

I sent BLar a PM but if any of you out of town teams have any questions with travel arrangements, where to stay, etc., you can reach me at [email protected] and I'll help as much as possible. It would be great to have multiple teams from Michigan and we just spoke with a Florida team yesterday so things seem to be shaping up nicely.

WI Modified

Addicted to Softballfans
Press Box Bulldogs were supposed to throw a tournament but it looks like it will not be happening. So I have begun to prepare my guys for a New York trip.
Looks like the Bulldogs Memorial Day Tournament was a "one and done" tourney. That's too bad!!!

Looks like another Memorial Day Weekend with the in-laws again this season... :eek:

jaydee-44

hopefully this year will be a double elimination.. last year RAS went 4-0 coming into the championship and dannyboys was 3-1 they beat us in the championship one game making them have the same record at 4-1 and they were awarded the championship...plus john brown pitched who is banned all over in all modified leagues...just need to be more strict this time around tourny was good!!!

Swash11

Addicted to Softballfans
Elimination play

John was likely the most legal person down there so I'm not really sure why he would be banned from anywhere except for the fact that he's good. And a lot of tournaments that do pool play are single elimination Sundays. All that means is you gotta win your last game.