3 games

BPfanatic

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm just wondering, what everyone thinks about a 3 game guaranty tournament here in Michigan. Also is this any were else.

shipe35

Addicted to Softballfans
As long as you don't get any weather they are usually good. Typically it is just for the teams that go 0-2 a chance to play through the loser brackets.

Warbucks79

Addicted to Softballfans
It makes the teams that never win feel like they get their moneys worth. Even if they get killed all 3 games

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Its gives the weaker teams more of an incentive to play.... Most E/Rec divisions down here have 3GG in the tournaments... Most D class and above hate the 3GG...

shipe35

Addicted to Softballfans
It is a lot of games to come through being 0-2 but you are right, it give the 0-2 teams a chance to compete some more. You never know you may get that bad draw against two good teams and have to use the 3GG

ohioballer

Addicted to Softballfans
That is how our local director runs his tourneys andI think it is great. Three games gives a shot all the way to the end.

outlaw4

Addicted to Softballfans
in my opinion the 3 games are just so umps can get more money

??? So it's those darn greedy umpires that decide the format? :confused:

Looks more like your director is making an effort to give the teams more games.
You know, "More Bang for Your Buck"....................

Begs

Addicted to Softballfans
We have 3gg here in Colorado. I works pretty well. I like 3gg in a bracket format not in pool play. I you lose once in pool play your are done...that sucks.

SouthernOhioNSA

Addicted to Softballfans
I use it quite a bit for a couple of reasons: First - Unless you are specifically running a round-robin/flight tournament, the gripe is an undefeated team gets beat in the final and they are done. Second - it is like a double-elim bracket except for the additional round in the losers bracket.

Of course having an even number of teams makes the losers end a lot smoother. There is also a way to run them without byes that has teams go left and right which confuses just about everyone that looks at them myself included at times.

I have used these off and on for close to 10 years and have had maybe 2 teams go 0-2 and win the whole thing.