4pts a minute?

justinstp

PayPal Ready
Pretty impressive:

http://seattletimes.com/html/sports/2019727070_apbkcgrinnellplayer138points.html

GRINNELL, Iowa —
Jack Taylor scored 138 points to shatter the NCAA scoring record in Division III Grinnell's 179-104 victory over Faith Baptist Bible on Tuesday night.

Taylor made 27 of 71 3-point attempts, was 52 of 108 overall from the field and added seven free throws on 10 attempts in 36 minutes.

"It felt like anything I tossed up was going in," said Taylor, a 5-foot-10 sophomore guard from Black River Falls, Wis.

Rio Grande's Bevo Francis held the NCAA scoring record with 113 points against Hillsdale in 1954. In 1953, Francis had 116 against Ashland Junior College. Frank Selvy is the only other player to reach triple figures, scoring 100 points for Division I Furman against Newberry in 1954.

The previous Grinnell record was 89 by Griffin Lentsch last Nov. 19 against Principia.

Taylor averaged 23.5 points in Grinnell's first two games this season.

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
pfffft, he shot 38% from 3 and he took 108 shots! Good team win there, he is going places. Not very impressive if you ask me. The sun shines on every dog's ass every now and again. He had a good shooting day against poor defense.

billb013

Lovin' the Boobs
b53.png

Stretch19

Grow up
That is impressive.
No mention of this on ESPN.

really? you must not have read the article:

Taylor wasn't the only star of the game. Faith Baptist Bible's David Larson scored 70 points (34-for-44). But the two didn't discuss their parallel shooting success during the game, Taylor said.

Stretch19

Grow up
he shoots too much

-Carmelo Anthony

"I never heard of nothing like that. That's like a video game," Anthony said, an incredulous look on his face. "How can you shoot 100 times, though?"

He joked that from now on when someone asks if he's taking too many shots, he'll mention "that someone shot it 108 times."

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
The article doesn't really emphasize how much of a run-and-gun the Grinnell offense is.

Typically Grinnell's players only play 10-15 minutes a game and they sub in and out of the games every 35 to 40 seconds, swapping out the entire floor in the process. Last year, and again this season (with Jack Taylor) the coach allowed a player to play continuously for a game.

I've watched a little video of Grinnell in action, and their game plan is basically continuous full-court press, quick passes, and shoot as soon as you have an open shot (typically a 3 pointer). It's Div III ball, so this sort of specialized thing can work.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
decent article about the coach's history of doing this

http://deadspin.com/5962514/
Hmm...the historic perspective is interesting, but I don't know that I buy in that "the system" is a bastardization of basketball.

I mean, the article mentions the Chamberlain game then goes into talking about how the Grinnell system is bad because it involves a lot of fouls to keep the ball in the starters' hands. It legitimizes the Chamberlain game because "it was against NBA opponents", but even in the Chamberlain game, the Warriors started fouling the Knicks in order to slow down the clock and get Wilt more chances to score.

Either way, I actually like the Grinnell system. Sure, they don't play defense, but it's unconventional and it works for where they're at. Would it work against upper echelon D-I squads? No way.