5 man positioning

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
Really broad question. We play pull 5 a lot, with dead pull rover if someone on 1st or 2nd. Middle man(5th man) will always be moving but I would 6 to 12 feet from 2nd base. I mean the SS will play 5-6 hole and 2nd base is more lined up in a traditional SS positioning or vice versa for the 2nd baseman. If you have a righty that hits OPPO a lot, then obviously shift the 5th accordingly. The only issue is making sure the 5th man can always cover 2nd for double plays and such. There is always deviation between hitters tho. So like I said, broad question!!! =)

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your SS has good range I like the MI near the bag. If he has to help cover the SS's area more, then obviously farther back and to the SS side.

Tictac020

Addicted to BP
I think the MI needs to be filled with one of the most athletic and good awareness player on the team.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
To many factors involved to give a defiante answer. Generally the 5 man is responsible for balls hit between SS and second base but depending on the situation where he plays can be different. The important part isn't where the 5 man is supposed to play. The important part is that the 5 man communicating where he is gonna be so the rest of the infield/pitcher know where they should be.

rmeman

Addicted to Softballfans
The pitcher will tell the 5man where to play as based on where he is trying to pitch to a batter. But yes a very open ended question none the less. The 5 man should play in closer to the bag so we can make all the plays at 2nd which allows the SS and 2b to play deeper in the holes. And the pitcher will fill which ever side the 5man is not on to take away that gap.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
The pitcher will tell the 5man where to play as based on where he is trying to pitch to a batter. But yes a very open ended question none the less. The 5 man should play in closer to the bag so we can make all the plays at 2nd which allows the SS and 2b to play deeper in the holes. And the pitcher will fill which ever side the 5man is not on to take away that gap.

All you need to know

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends SS can play deep and 3rd and bucket can play In. Or the other way or 3rd in SS over towards him and bucket almost were SS was.

zuke 37

Star Player
PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY!!!

play 1 or 2 steps from second. you know the ss or 2b go deep into the hole have a tough play, you are already there
PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY!!!

you are already there for the relay on double plays, a half second is 10 feet to a runner. PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY!!!

with men on 1st & 2nd also have your 3rd baseman plaY close to 3rd, PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY!!!

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO THROW ANYONE OUT FROM SHORT CENTERFIELD, PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY!!!