52/300 in cold weather?

Poopy

Coach
Need advice...?

Broke a couple of composites hitting 44/375s in cold weather last year. Trying to be smarter about it this year, and hitting some of the new 52/300 Dudley Hycon synthentics this time around. Thinking the higher Cor and lower Comp is easier on the bat, as it is bouncier and not as hard...No physicist, but read somewhere that comp goes up on balls 5 lbs for every degree under 72, so at 45 degrees, the comp on the 52/300 is closer to 435 (27 x 5). Harder, but comparable to a 44/375 in 60 degree weather. Thinking the bat is harder too, but really looking for some thoughts - Is it a good idea to keep hitting my good bats or not?

Thanks,
Poopy

Last edited:

quick23

Swing away w/ the 52/300. There have been a few posts about hitting bats already cracked and no further damage has been done hitting strictly 52/300 balls.

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
In cold weather any ball will get harder, but starting out with a bouncier ball will help, if you use the BP balls.

IBUNT

Addicted to Softballfans
Did you order the BP lites? Aren't the regular BP balls a 48 core and like 400 compression or something?

MH785

Addicted to Softballfans
Swing away w/ the 52/300. There have been a few posts about hitting bats already cracked and no further damage has been done hitting strictly 52/300 balls.

Not 100% accurate from my experience. We are hitting 52/300's and have broke a couple bats while swinging them. They are much easier on bats but will definitely go if a bat is already cracked or very close.

Burger1976

Banned User
Even 52/300's can damage bats if it's cold. Stick with pre abi bats if your hitting in temps below 60, even with 52/300's

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been hitting the 52/300's going on 4yrs now in the hot and cold(50-30 degree range) with no issues at all.

Poopy

Coach
I usually hit 75-100 per BP session a few times a week. Not smart enough to know if any of my bats are pre-abi...:

Easton Salvo SRV5
Worth SB4LA Legit 454
Demarini The One .12 WTDXONA

And a buddy just picked up a Synergy SP12SY98 which we hit yesterday...

I'm also sure it matters a lot how hard one's swing is...I'm no banger, but I typically hit a good third of my BP balls over a 275 ft/20ft high fence. The ball doesn't 'feel' hard like the 44s when it is 60ish or below. Due to the mixed feedback, will continue to hit my Demarini for now as that is my least favorite!

Last edited:

Zarkoff500

Addicted to Softballfans
My experience with the Evil 52's is that you are completely gtg. I've got a Easton SCN15BH that has about 1500 hits with most of them with Evil BP's. These were hit in temps from 30-50 degrees and I do not have a single line of webbing yet. From the sound of the 52's, they do not seem to be affected by the cold to the same degree as a higher COMP ball. For example, I've hit Classic M's in the same conditions and toasted a SCX2 RI in about 700 hits and the balls sounded significantly harder than the 52's.

Last edited:

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw plenty of Z 1000's and newer easton break this fall using nothing but hot dots .