52/300 vs 44/375

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA league is finally moving to 52/300 in the Summer. We have the option of either right now. How much distance is lost with the 52/300?

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Its not nothing to do with distance, it has more to do with good solid contact of the hitter. You have consistently maximize your force on the softer cor ball.

How I know...Is I suck with consistent contact. This year is not going to be very good for me , Im afraid.

booth

Addicted to Softballfans
You will see a lot less miss hit homeruns, but when you hit it, you hit it, they still fly well.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
DJ is right. The 52/300 will go just as far as a 44/375 if you hit it right. All about the backspin. A good hitter will not have trouble transitioning to the 52/300.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Oh man when I pick up a game and find out were using 44s Im like a kid in a candy store...

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
This

LSX, hit this on the head. It's more about how you go about cutting the ball. It will still fly. Get a stick your are comfortable with and learn the craft. It will still fly and drop panties. If you square it up, you can watch guys squirm when it knuckles. It's pretty damn sweet.

Both are subject to huge variations in performance due to quality. So much so that it's hard to make a comparison without knowing what model to what model.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Major fact, the 52/300 blows compared to 44/375. It's hitting a grapefruit compared to a hard ball I don't care what anyone else says. If at all possible don't let them switch!!!!

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
One thing you will notice is that the 52 is very consistent in any weather condition. 44's suck in the summer and rock hard in fall/winter. And what LSX said....

Redman

Yes to all of it above lol.

But with new bat tech it will fly. Just don't expect old bats to perform like they did with the old ball unless they're webbed as **** and about to crack

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
My experience with them is that I prefer the 44/375 because even if i don't put a perfect swing on them, they go out of the park. The 52/300 is just as good if I take the good part of the bat and lay it on that spot 1/4" below the middle of the ball and spin it. Ideally, I like a harder ball, because it seems everyone hits them a little harder and it makes the game more fun to me.

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
LSX, hit this on the head. It's more about how you go about cutting the ball. It will still fly. Get a stick your are comfortable with and learn the craft. It will still fly and drop panties. If you square it up, you can watch guys squirm when it knuckles. It's pretty damn sweet.

I'm a knuckle hitter! Hard liners to the out have guys breaking ankles trying to figure out where it going...by then it's too late.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
A true hitter will not have a problem hitting either ball.. new asa only bats perform very well outa wrap against any ball but durability is an issue when using them with anything other than 52/300 etc.. old stamp bats perform very well with 52's also especially for those that are true (GREAT) hitters..

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Once you get dialed in with the 52 it becomes a non issue. If you go back and fourth between 44 and 52 its the lack of feedback you get from the 52 that really makes people hate them. Plus as previously mentioned you can square up on a 44 and still get it to go far, not even close with 52s. Keep in mind your only gonna have another season or 2 at best of 44-375 and most leagues are switching on their own choice. Our sales were about even 44-52 until last year and so far its almost 70% 52 for ASA

zuke 37

Star Player
pardon my spelling...C.O.R. means coeficiancy of restitution, or bounce.

in theory if you drop a 44 ball 100 feet it will bounce 44 feet. a 52 ball will bounce 52 feet.
do you remember the toy super ball? that has a C.O.R. of 97. (100 cor would be pepetuial motion)
cor could be inturpreted as a percentage.

since they started making the plastic center balls, the bounce could be controlled, and keep the balls uniform.

hense the emphisis on the trampeline effect on the newer bats, because the old cork & string balls provided the tramp to the hit.
the new balls were harder then the old bats, and there was no flex

you need the tramp effect from either the bat or the bell, not both, or neither.

be aware that you are getting feedback from E, D, and maybe C hitters ( some should be W's) so get your grain of salt.

wdwlodge

Addicted to Softballfans
Once you get dialed in with the 52 it becomes a non issue. If you go back and fourth between 44 and 52 its the lack of feedback you get from the 52 that really makes people hate them. Plus as previously mentioned you can square up on a 44 and still get it to go far, not even close with 52s. Keep in mind your only gonna have another season or 2 at best of 44-375 and most leagues are switching on their own choice. Our sales were about even 44-52 until last year and so far its almost 70% 52 for ASA

1 of the leagues I play in will be switching from the 44/375 Thunder Heat to the 52/300 Evil Ball this season. There are a few tournies I've played in that have been using a 52/300 ball for a few years. Of the small sample size that I've had with the 52/300 ball, I feel like I've been more consistent of a hitter with it over the 44/375.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
They are fine to hit. Tricky little bitches to field off the first bounce or two though. I took a good throw to the base my skull with a 52 running the bases a few years back. Glad it wasn't a harder ball, felt closer like getting slammed in the head with a smaller soccer ball than a baseball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are fine to hit. Tricky little bitches to field off the first bounce or two though. I took a good throw to the base my skull with a 52 running the bases a few years back. Glad it wasn't a harder ball, felt closer like getting slammed in the head with a smaller soccer ball than a baseball.

This is another of the safety issues I wish people thought more about. People are bitching about getting split lips from these and people were dying from being hit in the head with the older balls.

Kaji

Addicted to Softballfans
Yup, people that can actually hit will still be able to hit with the 52's. If you're a composite hero, 52's will knock your ***** ass down. hahaha

CoachClick

Damn Addiction
Don't mind hitting them...fielding them a different story. I have played all levels of softball through out my 20~ years in the sport and I have never been "eat up" as much as I have with the .52's. I play SS btw and have from tee ball through college ball...

Hell, I'd rather field super-dupers than these "bouncy-balls".

Now that I'm in my 40's, it may be time to back away and let the younger guys take the lumps.

Last edited:

white_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
LOL @ guys crying about the 52/300. The ball is just fine. Why does it matter how far the ball travels are you trying to stroke your ego by hitting a ball a mile? There is more to hitting than just HRs...

"Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile"

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I actually prefer them, as well as a lot of teams around here. HR's are actually up across the board since we moved to them.......

If you can hit, you'll still be able to hit....if you can't, you'll start a thread on SBF saying they suck

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
DJ is right. The 52/300 will go just as far as a 44/375 if you hit it right. All about the backspin. A good hitter will not have trouble transitioning to the 52/300.

Truth

Major fact, the 52/300 blows compared to 44/375. It's hitting a grapefruit compared to a hard ball I don't care what anyone else says. If at all possible don't let them switch!!!!

Someone afraid of the truth

jhitman

This is not even remotely true. If anything I've hit .52 300s further consistently than .44 375s.

In the middle of the summer .44 375s really wilt and turn to crap.

I agree TW. I think the 44 cor balls are better distance wise in the cooler weather. But when it gets hot, the 44's seem to wilt, whereas the 52's stay strong. We hit the 44's in the Fall and they were definitely outdistancing the 52's.