52/300 vs 52/275

Cristorey34

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey folks, I was wondering for those of you that have swung ASA bats and have hit both types of balls if there is a noticeable difference in distance and speed off the bat?

Im trying to get a local league to stop using the mushy clinchers and start using the next ball up on the compression charts and that would be the 52/275. Im trying to gather some info and maybe get ahold of a few new/used balls so they can hit them and compare.

Distance on .52 is more controlled by quality. Crappy quality balls will get you crappy quality results. 275 or 300, it doesn't matter. How well the ball is built does.

eviladams

All hail Megatron.....
Hey folks, I was wondering for those of you that have swung ASA bats and have hit both types of balls if there is a noticeable difference in distance and speed off the bat?

Im trying to get a local league to stop using the mushy clinchers and start using the next ball up on the compression charts and that would be the 52/275. Im trying to gather some info and maybe get ahold of a few new/used balls so they can hit them and compare.

Biggest complaint is they are unpredictable on defense. I'm 6'3" and I've had a routine ball in the OF one hop directly over my head. Had it been lower would have knocked out my teeth because I wasn't expecting that. I've also seen more ridiculous bad hops on the IF. As far as hitting them out, I do. Haven't necessarily noticed a difference with that. It is probably there though.

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
The Dudley SY 52/300's were kind of a tough ball to hit for distance. You had to hit them just right to get them to fly. The tattoos were a lot better. I still have to try some evil balls...don't see those much around our area.

bbmiller75

Extra Hitter
We hit both 300 and 275 here. Hit the evil 300s and really like, haven't tried their 275s. For the 275s usually hit tattoo or Dudley which are readily available where I am at. Got to say most of my teams definitely prefer the 275s to the 300s. Think the 275s fly a little better.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Evil fixed the bad hops and knuckling problem long ago. Look at the best ASA game ball poll, it tells the story.

BigGilly44

The Rookie
Not alot af diff between 275 or 300 with ASA or NSA bats. Choose a good ball. you get what you pay for. ZNs and Tattoos are all anyone around here hits. Evil balls are good for a game of two but lose pop and mush up, but that is after the yellow on the cover peels off. Worth HotDots are mush.

Country469

There is zero difference between a 52 300 and a 52 275 other than the assoc stamp on it. The technology doesnt get that exact in the manuf process, and the assocs give each maker a tolerance to be within. This is why some boxes of balls feel better than others, cuz they likely are.

THESHOE

Starting Player
I personally don't find much if any different until we hit the 30+ degrees Celsius weather here. (which is about 86F)

When we start to hit those temps, I find the 52/275 Trump Stotes to get really really soft and no longer travel anywhere near like spring or fall temps or cooler nights.

That being said, in the same hot temps, the Worth Hot Dot seems a little more consistent distance wise. That ball is a 52/300.

Could be the difference in ball manufacturing between the 2, but they also are a comparison of 52/275 and 52/300 FWIW.

Jorge might also be on to something about a box to box scenario.

The Trumps cases also warn to store in a cool place and avoid heat. Most if not all team captains keep the team cases in their hot trunk all season LOL.