6 guy/4 girl coed??

gtownmasher

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone ever played 6guy/4girl coed before? I run a couple coed tourneys a year and this was suggested to increase the numbers. I've never played or even seen one before. What are the rules for such a tourney? Thanks in advance

pompetti

Softball Player
Batting order is usually the biggest change. Some have you bat male/female through the first 8 batters, then the last 2 males at the end. Others, you can bat no more than 2 males in a row, so your batting order will be something like, MMFMMFMFMF. Obviously if a male walks in front of another male, it's not a double.

JRivera

Addicted to Softballfans
Its considered Corporate Coed 7/3

A. A team must have a minimum of three females on the
playing field at all times, more than three females may
play

A. If only two females are available, the team may play with
9, no EP can be used and an out must be taken in the
spot of the missing female. One female will play in the
infield and one in the outfield when this occurs.
B. One female must be in the infield and one in the outfield.
Note: catcher and pitcher is considered an infield position.
The third female may play infield or outfield.
C. Females may bat in any position in the lineup.
D. If a male batter is walked, the female has the option of
accepting the walk or hitting. The male is awarded first
and second base and must touch both bases in order.
The 200-foot line for females will be in effect.
E. The courtesy runner must be of the same *** as the
original runner.
F. The EP may be utilized, but you must have an extra
male and female to make the total number of players in
the lineup of 12. If both male and female are not available,
the EP may not be utilized.
G. Both males and females will use the 12” ball. The 200-
foot line will be in effect when females are at bat. Out
fielders may not be inside the line; infielders are not al
lowed to play in the grass or in front of the baseline un
til the ball is batted into play.
Penalty - batter is automatically awarded first and second
base, and must touch both bases in order. All runners
will advance if forced.

gtownmasher

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey cool. Thanks for the rules and such. Was curious about the batting order and defensive positioning

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Around here the 6/4 leagues are considered less skilled. There is usually more rules to allow the girls to be a bigger part of the game. In one league here we have a 175ft line that the fielders cant cross until the ball is hit when a girl is up. Stuff like that.

gtownmasher

Addicted to Softballfans
Just trying to gather info and try to get the number of teams to increase. Softball is dying around here and hard to get guys and girls to comment

eric89074

Addicted to Softballfans
I never liked 6/4 or 7/3 coed but it would probably help with the lower number of teams returning for leagues in southern NV.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
too many guys for me. now 1 guy/4 girls and i'd be in.......oh wait, you meant playing softball didn't you?

OilCountryCanno

Star Player
Lots of good competitive coed here in Canada. We mostly follow ASA rules, and run a 6:4 ratio. Women have the choice of the 12' or 11' balls when batting.
7:3 tournaments are not too popular. There are no extra rules for women in the tournaments I've been in besides the walk rule, which means if you throw 4 straight to a guy infront of a girl on deck, then he takes second base and she gets the option of going to first. Some tournaments have it set so any walk before a girl, regardless of getting a strike or not, means a 2 baser for the guy.

Only a couple tournaments I've been to have a restriction on batting order. Ideally you can have it whatever way you want, but in some you're only allowed 3 male batters in a row once in the lineup.

Speaking of girls, last tournament I was at I got careless and gave a girl cherry pitch (1-2 count so i went for the strikeout) she launched a 250 ft no doubter on me with a Wanted ASA...never took her for granted for the rest of the game.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
All of these coed rules, I'm surprised that women play at all since all the rules are based on inequality. You have to bat in a certain order, certain size balls, coed line, and I guess you can't have 6 guys and 4 girls. Could you have 6 girls and 4 guys?

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
most leagues here are 7/3, women have to bat at 2, 5, and 8

a few(mostly fall ball for some reason) are 6/4, I think they just say no more than 2guys in a row.

the only time I've ever seen 5/5 was at nationals, it seemed weird to me.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone ever played 6guy/4girl coed before? I run a couple coed tourneys a year and this was suggested to increase the numbers. I've never played or even seen one before. What are the rules for such a tourney? Thanks in advance

There is usually one chick that looks 100% like a dude on every team anyway, so 6/4 isn't that wierd........

lx_2nv

Coach
most leagues here are 7/3, women have to bat at 2, 5, and 8

a few(mostly fall ball for some reason) are 6/4, I think they just say no more than 2guys in a row.

the only time I've ever seen 5/5 was at nationals, it seemed weird to me.

co-ed league here is 5/5. Makes you appreciate a woman that can play.

BlindEarth

Addicted to Softballfans
My work league is 8 and 2. Bat any order you wish. NO WALKS, but called strikes(this results in some at bats of epic length). Any pop up within the infield and a runner on third w/ less than two outs is a dead ball out (to prevent tagging up from 3rd with the spaz girl behind the plate). It's a lawyers league, the nitpicking over these rules at league meetings was the stuff of legend. Clinchers and "no bats that cost over $150".

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
co-ed league here is 5/5. Makes you appreciate a woman that can play.

yeah there was two big things I noticed when playing. first was it was SO easy to get on base. second was, it really didn't matter unless you got a double, haha.

there's a lot more base to base happening with 7/3, that's for sure. the 5/5 was really tough to move one base at a time and actually get runs. it just seemed like if you didn't get to 2nd, the girl after you was either going to hit to a short fielder that will easier throw you out at 2nd, or to an infielder that would throw her out at first(or worse yet turn the double). but then again, there was almost guaranteed at least one girl in the outfield, and only a handful of them had the speed and the arm to prevent the double. so it was really just a learning experience to push for that extra base.

definitely a different kind of strategy, for better or worse.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
My work league is 8 and 2. Bat any order you wish. NO WALKS, but called strikes(this results in some at bats of epic length). Any pop up within the infield and a runner on third w/ less than two outs is a dead ball out (to prevent tagging up from 3rd with the spaz girl behind the plate). It's a lawyers league, the nitpicking over these rules at league meetings was the stuff of legend. Clinchers and "no bats that cost over $150".

I played in a work league that tried that no walks rule for a year. it was terrible, because what ended up happening was teams put their worst play as pitcher, cause they had nothing to lose. as a batter you could either stand there for 8 mins, or swing at something only 2feet outside the zone...

the next year, I think they nailed it though. you could walk if it was 4 straight balls. this was pretty ideal for a 'you gotta hit to get on base' kind of league. the 4 straight balls walk was enough to make sure the pitcher was good enough to throw strikes, but having ever strike reset the ball count made sure you got at least one good pitch to swing at. a courtesy strike gave you at least 4 more pitches. with these rules I don't recall ever walking, or swinging at crap. it was a really fun league imo.

that's pretty funny though, I could just imagine a room for a lawyers hashing out these rules. so what happens when somebody brings out a senior bat and they have a receipt for 140bux? lol probably doesn't matter too much with the clinchers, but I think it's pretty funny if they actually put a limit on the price of the bat instead of it's specs. senior bats tend to be the cheapest after all...

BlindEarth

Addicted to Softballfans
Fierce, it was brought up at the meeting when the rule was instituted. Even the umpires didn't know what to do. It evolved to "no composite bats" at one point, not every bat says composite on it so that became another s#it show as we got the bottom of the barrel umps from the local ASA dispatch that think anything that isn't a wood bad is a "metal" bat. We are not playing this year, I'm told they finally wisened up and realized that the clincher is what keeps everything safer and not limiting the bats, anything on the ASA approved list is supposedly good to go.

The league for all of its well meaning but often misinformed rules is fun once you get on the field, teams often having a few together after games.

pudds

Star Player
All of these coed rules, I'm surprised that women play at all since all the rules are based on inequality. You have to bat in a certain order, certain size balls, coed line, and I guess you can't have 6 guys and 4 girls. Could you have 6 girls and 4 guys?

Can't speak for the other places, but up here in Manitoba, 7/3 orthodox (modified) leagues are common, and the 7/3 ratio can go either way and anywhere in between (7 guys/3 girls, 5/5 or 3 guys/7 girls). In our local 7/3 league there are no rules on batting order aside from requiring that all players who bat spend some time in the field and vice versa.

I've always seen 5/5 and the coed team we had that went to Nationals had women that would out ball majority of the dudes on this forum. Yeah, I said it.

All 10 Position

weareallgoingtoburninhell
one of my leagues does 6/4. Defensive rule is at least one OFer has to be a girl. normal coed line. Guy or girl can be the one rover. Batting order has to be Male/female. So you'd have to rotate. It's never in the same order if there are an uneven number of male/female players. basically you'd always follow the same guy. Sounds much more difficult than it is.