6th Annual Swinging Bunt Super Draft Tournament (April 27-29)

kingaj99

Got hits?
yes they were, being behind home plate calling bad calls and listening to jabber jawing in my ear the whole time, it definately made for an interesting evening......:D

I had to deal with Carroll and Smolka for a game as home plate ump so stfu!!! :eek: :mad: :p

kingaj99

Got hits?
lol....gotta ya beat, had them for 3 games........:eek:.......and at the last game Smolka wanted to have a slap fight with the other team's catcher,,,:D

3 games??? I'd have thrown them both by then. :eek: That wasn't a slap fight, that is just how Smolka normally fights!!! :D

belly43

Bored without softball
Ghetto was drunk and just being normal ghetto. I was his captain he was just being stupid trying to get under people's skin in which he did. Hope to see everyone in the spring.

rat bastard

Ghetto was drunk and just being normal ghetto. I was his captain he was just being stupid trying to get under people's skin in which he did. Hope to see everyone in the spring.

all good fun, he was very entertaining, just glad you pulled him from the mound before he got hurt from a line drive

oswaldr2

Addicted to Softballfans
For those that have participated in the prior drafts, just curious if you could breakdown the details of the draft format.

dds109

Love you Son...
For those that have participated in the prior drafts, just curious if you could breakdown the details of the draft format.

you rate yourself 1-5 in fielding, speed, power, hitting. put down your main position then some positions you can also play. when the capts go to draft they see SS with rankings and a number so they draft SS #4 that may have 3 4 5 3 on their rankings...

oswaldr2

Addicted to Softballfans
you rate yourself 1-5 in fielding, speed, power, hitting. put down your main position then some positions you can also play. when the capts go to draft they see SS with rankings and a number so they draft SS #4 that may have 3 4 5 3 on their rankings...

Oh so there aren't even names associated with the player? The captains would just see me as LF #36 or something like that?

Besides honesty, what's to stop people from sandbagging?

dds109

Love you Son...
Oh so there aren't even names associated with the player? The captains would just see me as LF #36 or something like that?

Question 1: No names last year, there were names in years before but some people complained that teams loaded up or guys picked their buddies every year. I liked the names hey there were 15 other guys who could have picked them too but it is what it is and its a FUN tourney to play in

Queston 2: nothing can be done about it but its for charity with no real big prize or money given out (usually there is a prize but emphasize CHARITY)

oswaldr2

Addicted to Softballfans
Queston 2: nothing can be done about it but its for charity with no real big prize or money given out (usually there is a prize but emphasize CHARITY)

Yeah I can appreciate that. I'm no pro so you don't have to worry about sandbagging from me.

jshell73

Far from Normal

You are correct. A couple years ago a captain(*cough* DDS109 *cough*) had a bunch of his buddies sign up and rated themselves as all ones and the only position they all played was catcher. I think they averaged 35 runs in their first three games, so now the names are removed and now if you sandbag your ratings you really don't benefit anyone.

dds109

Love you Son...
You are correct. A couple years ago a captain(*cough* DDS109 *cough*) had a bunch of his buddies sign up and rated themselves as all ones and the only position they all played was catcher. I think they averaged 35 runs in their first three games, so now the names are removed and now if you sandbag your ratings you really don't benefit anyone.

they were not all ones and Moore and Chad were Catchers all the others were position guys helm put himself as a OF, Maulden was a 3B and Bagz put OF too :) i like the SHELLTON rule no picking guys you had before. dont belive anyone put all 1s most put 3s across the board just like a majority of the people do, and yes we averaged 35 runs with wind blowing out had the fat hr slow team lol

KWO

Go Cardinals!!!
lol, getting deep in here.

I am sure there was loading up prior to the last year. Last year was awesome, the team i was on had a good mix of people. The fall team i was on was full of some awesome peeps, i think however the fall one was done maybe try that this year. (unless it was the same as spring. then that was perfect for both this year. lol)

Crash1207

The BUNT Guy
Blah, blah, blah...

The main reason for the names being taken off the draft sheet was to try to make the teams more balanced and I think we had that last year. I think the upper tier of players were much more spread out than they had been in the past.

And to be honest, I thought the end of the draft where I read off the names to go with the numbers the captains picked was a fun part of the draft. Most of the captains were speculating on who was who and most of them were wrong...except the egghead who used 4 years worth of draft sheets to try to figure out who everyone was. :)

redbirdfan1

Focker
hey I used the past 3 yrs and didn't do me much good. Brucker went from being a "P" the other yrs to being a 2B just because he lost his baby weight. Not that I'm complaining :p

dds109

Love you Son...
Blah, blah, blah...

The main reason for the names being taken off the draft sheet was to try to make the teams more balanced and I think we had that last year. I think the upper tier of players were much more spread out than they had been in the past.

And to be honest, I thought the end of the draft where I read off the names to go with the numbers the captains picked was a fun part of the draft. Most of the captains were speculating on who was who and most of them were wrong...except the egghead who used 4 years worth of draft sheets to try to figure out who everyone was. :)

lol he who finds the upper hand wins the game

Thepiehouse

Funny saying
What are you rating yourselves based on?
Arent the ratings completely subjective?
Ratings shouldn't be a part of the equation, it should be based solely on position willingness IMO.

But I really don't know....I would like for everyone to have to wear their rankings on their shirts to whether people undershoot or have some bloated sense of self worth.

kingaj99

Got hits?
Ratings shouldn't be a part of the equation, it should be based solely on position willingness IMO.

But I really don't know....I would like for everyone to have to wear their rankings on their shirts to whether people undershoot or have some bloated sense of self worth.

Do you even play in this? :confused:

redbirdfan1

Focker
What are you rating yourselves based on? ability to place the ball, power, speed, defense

Arent the ratings completely subjective? Yes. It's what makes it fun. most people play a couple yrs and figure out they overshot their rankings. Also the more a person plays the better known they become and rankings can be adjusted by the director should they know someone ranked themselves too high or too low

Ratings shouldn't be a part of the equation, it should be based solely on position willingness IMO. hogwash

But I really don't know....I would like for everyone to have to wear their rankings on their shirts to whether people undershoot or have some bloated sense of self worth. haha now that would be fun

Crash1207

The BUNT Guy

Ratings are absolutely subjective but at the same time, I review every rating that comes in and adjust where I know something needs adjusting. If it is someone who hasn't played before, I find 3 people who know that guy and get ratings from them and then make the adjustments.

Honestly, more often than not, I move ratings down and not up. I have guys in mind that are 5's in different categories and if that person isn't on that level, they become a 4. And so on and so forth...

It takes time and effort on my part but I think guys would agree that for the most part they are fairly accurate.

Illini_Doc_19

Addicted to Softballfans
Everybody should quit worrying about ratings and sandbagging. The bottom line is this is a GREAT tourney that is well run for CHARITY!! So come have some fun and bring plenty of cash for beer and the raffle so we can continue to make large $$$$ donation to St. Judes.

Thepiehouse

Funny saying
Thanks for the actual responses. I was not trying to be a dbag.
Also I condone the use of the word hog wash

Aj what do you rate yourself?
I plan on playing this year, why don't you rate me and I'll use your ratings.
Last year I paid and I was going to play but could not make it due to work, I let dusty know and told him to give my spot to someone else and also asked him to keep the money for the charity. Because I think saint jude is by far the best chairty.

kingaj99

Got hits?
Thanks for the actual responses. I was not trying to be a dbag.
Also I condone the use of the word hog wash

Aj what do you rate yourself?
I plan on playing this year, why don't you rate me and I'll use your ratings.
Last year I paid and I was going to play but could not make it due to work, I let dusty know and told him to give my spot to someone else and also asked him to keep the money for the charity. Because I think saint jude is by far the best chairty.

That is very respectable and I remember that. And I fully agree with you about saint judes.

That being said, when it comes to ratings, I rate myself as all ones. Having seen me play a handful of times, would you disagree? As far as rating you, I'm not sure I can make a fair assessment because I don't think you take league as serious as tourney ball.