7 Weeks Post-op Labrum Repair

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I tore the labrum of my right (throwing) shoulder on 5/1, had surgery on 5/31 and am now 7 weeks into recovery. I've been in rehab since 6/26, which began with light stretching within a very limited range of motion and has now progressed to a wider variety of stretches, light (2lb) dumbbell exercises and work with the rubberbands.

The tear turned out to extend from the bottom 6 o'clock position, around the front ("Bankart tear") and just past the top ("SLAP tear") 12 o'clock, requiring 4 anchors to re-fasten. Rotator cuffs were 90% intact (which was a huge relief).

The condition has been very slowly improving. My range of motion has come back steadily in the direction reaching straight over my head, but the others have been slower to respond. The PT is satisfied with my progress, stating that everything is on pace with the normal plan. I still deal with aches and pains and have some impingements when reaching up/outward at an angle. I'm hoping things are going to progress rapidly in the next few weeks, as the repair is supposed to have now healed to a point where it is no longer fragile. At this point I can reach upward to 150 degrees and rotate my forearm outward with elbow at my side to 45 degrees. Both motions are painful to do.

Just thought I'd throw this info out there to see if others who have had similar repairs were at a similar state of rehab, 7 weeks post-op. Any insights would be appreciated.

jiminy323

Addicted to Softballfans
Its gunna take a bit before you have full strength back and mentally comfortable with throwing full power. I had the same surgery 2 years ago and am just now throwing almost like i use to but have to warm up an extra 10-15 mins to stretch everything out. My arm is still sore sometimes and havent fully regained full movement but i do keep up with the special shoulder excersises. But playing alot of softball and flag football did help the recovery but it just takes time good luck

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
jiminy323, how close were you to normal after 10-12 months? Was it like 95%, and then that last 5% has taken the longer period to recover? At 2 months now, it's hard to figure that far down the road. It's difficult to envision full recovery/ full-strength in a year (which the doctor predicted), based on the current condition. My right arm is now considerably smaller than my left. It's discouraging.

petersen302

Addicted to Softballfans
Its gunna take a bit before you have full strength back and mentally comfortable with throwing full power. I had the same surgery 2 years ago and am just now throwing almost like i use to but have to warm up an extra 10-15 mins to stretch everything out. My arm is still sore sometimes and havent fully regained full movement but i do keep up with the special shoulder excersises. But playing alot of softball and flag football did help the recovery but it just takes time good luck

This.....

I am 3 years removed this September, and am just how starting to feel back to normal. I will say that I do not do much with it in the winter time, and that would have probably helped. Take the extra time to warm up, and stretch very well. If you get stuck playing a ton of games in a day, you will notice that it gets tired much faster too.

Good luck man. Its not an easy road, but it was worth it for me.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
This.....

I am 3 years removed this September, and am just how starting to feel back to normal. I will say that I do not do much with it in the winter time, and that would have probably helped. Take the extra time to warm up, and stretch very well. If you get stuck playing a ton of games in a day, you will notice that it gets tired much faster too.

Good luck man. Its not an easy road, but it was worth it for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. My initial impression was that I'd be good as new in under a year. Now I'm not so sure. Would you say you were swinging at full strength sooner than you were throwing full strength? What was the timeframe for you? Do you do regular strength training?

jiminy323

Addicted to Softballfans
jiminy323, how close were you to normal after 10-12 months? Was it like 95%, and then that last 5% has taken the longer period to recover? At 2 months now, it's hard to figure that far down the road. It's difficult to envision full recovery/ full-strength in a year (which the doctor predicted), based on the current condition. My right arm is now considerably smaller than my left. It's discouraging.

It will take some time depending on the damage like i was saying I totally blew apart front and back labrums. But after a year i was like 75% just be careful I babied mine bc I was so afraid of it dislocating and hurting it again but as time went on I felt confident in my shoulder and now throw harder and further. Just take your time and rehab yourself the more you stretch the better it will be...

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
Had the same surgery on my NON throwing arm in February. I got the go ahead to start swinging a bat at 10 weeks, was hitting at 12 and playing the field at 16. I worked my ace off in therapy to get to that point mind you. My labrum was torn from 1 oclock all the way around to 12 o clock requiring 8 anchors.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Had the same surgery on my NON throwing arm in February. I got the go ahead to start swinging a bat at 10 weeks, was hitting at 12 and playing the field at 16. I worked my ace off in therapy to get to that point mind you. My labrum was torn from 1 oclock all the way around to 12 o clock requiring 8 anchors.

Man, that's a lot of anchors! Your surgeon really nailed that thing down! Mine was torn from around 10 o'clock (just past the top where bicep tendon connects) around the front to 6 o'clock, but only 4 anchors were used. 10 weeks seems REALLY early to be swinging a bat. That would be 3 weeks from now for me, which is a longshot. Were you swinging full strength at 16 weeks? I've stuck religiously to the prescribed rehab regimine. Did you do anything above and beyond to come back so quickly? Thanks for the info.

petersen302

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the encouragement. My initial impression was that I'd be good as new in under a year. Now I'm not so sure. Would you say you were swinging at full strength sooner than you were throwing full strength? What was the timeframe for you? Do you do regular strength training?

I was for sure swinging at full strength before throwing at full strenght. The doc that did my surgery specialized in sports related surgeries (by luck, I did not search him out). He told me that the over hand throwing motion is a very un-natural throwing motion, and that it takes time to build that strength back. I started light throwing at about 7 or 8 months post op. I really didn't start puting anything on it until close to a year. I just played catcher that summer :). I continued to do band strength training on the shoulder, and actually still do some of it because it feels good.

GoBlueFan88

Addicted to Softballfans
What does this feel like? I haven't went to the doc yet, but I feel like I have a knife in my shoulder when I throw with extensive burning and tingling when I do. I've lost almost all of my throwing power, but I want to wait until the offseason for surgery.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I dislocated my shoulder when sliding (feet first) into a base in a softball game. Hit my elbow on the ground and jammed my shoulder. It made an abrupt pop/squish sound and it was all over in an instant. My sliding days are over.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
GoBlueFan88, I haven't been able to throw a ball since the moment that I injured my shoulder, but I would say burning/tingling in addition to a general, deep ache were/are the main symptoms for me. Hopefully you just have tendonitis and some R&R will be the ticket for you. Best of luck!

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
Can I ask how you guys tore this? What were you doing?

Thx

A torn labrum is a very common injury with males. The overhand throwing motion is not normal. My injury resulted from softball, but was most likely from the wear and tear of several years of baseball.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
I'm 10 months post op. labrum was torn from 2-10 and took 6 anchors. I'm just now getting to throw at short distances. I was swinging early on and have played first till just recently. Just playing a little bit of league till I'm 100%.

jiminy323

Addicted to Softballfans
I tore mine while playing basketball had my arms straight up and a guy jumped into me totally bending my right arm straight back ripping the shoulder ball joint complenty out of the joint and denting it on the socket while tearing the labrum to all hell if i rememeber correctly i had about 8-10 anchors

Kenny Powers

Addicted to Softballfans
A torn labrum is a very common injury with males. The overhand throwing motion is not normal. My injury resulted from softball, but was most likely from the wear and tear of several years of baseball.

^^^^^This was accurate for me as well.

I had torn labrum and rotator cuff in my throwing shoulder. I am at 9 months post surgery. It gets tired fast, even while swinging, but I have full range of motion and it is getting stronger over time.

I have been told 1-2 years before fully recovery. I don't mind the rehab as I can see the progress each week, you just feel like a wuss right away when your in the gym.

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
^^^^^This was accurate for me as well.

I had torn labrum and rotator cuff in my throwing shoulder. I am at 9 months post surgery. It gets tired fast, even while swinging, but I have full range of motion and it is getting stronger over time.

I have been told 1-2 years before fully recovery. I don't mind the rehab as I can see the progress each week, you just feel like a wuss right away when your in the gym.

I have had two surgeries to repair the labrum tear; 3 years apart. I also have a tear on my rotator, but it was too small to be repaired. I think it has torn a lot more since the last surgery. :(

petersen302

Addicted to Softballfans
Can I ask how you guys tore this? What were you doing?

Thx

Mine started with riding quads on trails. Went into a sandy corner way too fast and went over the bars landing on my shoulder. Next week in ball I got burned in RC, was pissed, and threw the ball with all I had. Snap crackle and pop.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I tore mine just from wear and tear. Had surgery Nov 2011 and was playing first base comfortably starting this past May. Lately I've been playing a little bit at other positions, but my arm strength is nowhere near where it was and it gets pretty sore after just a few throws. My 'recovery' time after games has gotten better every week though. At first I would make 2-3 throws and be sore for a week, now I'm fine after a couple hours

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Johnboy were on the same timeline. Had Labrum surgery 6/1/12 and at 7 weeks today and have PT in 45 mins. Seems like you are in a real hurry - whats the big rush? Im just pleased my pain is minimal. Doc thinks I'll comeback at 100%, but says the Labrum doesnt stick to the bone until 9 months. Sounds like youre further along then me im not using any weights yet. I hit the gym every night and just doing cardio for now but as I get the green light I'll just build the strength by hitting the weights, which I enjoy doing normally. Ive had lots of different injuries and learned to make sure everything is healed up right before jumping in to early and setting yourself back. Good luck bro!!

NO_MAAM

Addicted to Softballfans
steroids...works for the pros

Close actually HGH!!!

I had 5 anchors. The Doc told me 1 year until I was back to 100%.
I did some research on pro ball players with similar injuries and there recovering time is Half.
1 NBA player had 6 anchors and was back playing in 3 months post op.

Check the pro's there recovery time is much quicker!!!!!!! hmm wonder why

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Close actually HGH!!!

I had 5 anchors. The Doc told me 1 year until I was back to 100%.
I did some research on pro ball players with similar injuries and there recovering time is Half.
1 NBA player had 6 anchors and was back playing in 3 months post op.

Check the pro's there recovery time is much quicker!!!!!!! hmm wonder why

They have someone to keep them working daily/hourly.
They can afford and have the best doctors money can buy.
NBA and MLB are VERY VERY different.

NO_MAAM

Addicted to Softballfans
They have someone to keep them working daily/hourly.
They can afford and have the best doctors money can buy.
NBA and MLB are VERY VERY different.

Most can go to the same Doctors and get the same post op PT as the NBA, NFL & MLB.
The difference is the extras they keep secret.
How'd Colon get healthy?? experimental meds my ass plain old HGH!!!

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Johnboy were on the same timeline. Had Labrum surgery 6/1/12 and at 7 weeks today and have PT in 45 mins. Seems like you are in a real hurry - whats the big rush? Im just pleased my pain is minimal. Doc thinks I'll comeback at 100%, but says the Labrum doesnt stick to the bone until 9 months. Sounds like youre further along then me im not using any weights yet. I hit the gym every night and just doing cardio for now but as I get the green light I'll just build the strength by hitting the weights, which I enjoy doing normally. Ive had lots of different injuries and learned to make sure everything is healed up right before jumping in to early and setting yourself back. Good luck bro!!

Yeah, Spackler, I remember your thread from a few weeks ago. I'm glad to hear you're coming along alright. I wouldn't say I'm really any further along at this point. A 3# weight is barely noteworthy. I don't think they'll have me moving any appreciable weight yet for at least another few weeks.

I'm truly amazed that these guys are taking swings at 10 weeks. The surgeon told me that 6 months is when full strength of the repair is reached, at which point I can begin truly pushing my limits and restoring the associated muscles. Seems like a lot of conflicting views from everyone's doctors here -- unless doctors are clearing patients for swinging a bat long before healing is complete. That seems extremely risky, but what do I know?

I'm not trying to rush anything. I'm sticking religiously to the PT's instructions. I'm rehabing twice per week, and things are improving slightly with each visit. As I improve, the PT gives me additional stretches and exercises to add to the routine. If I'm going to err in this process, it will be on the side of caution. Just thought I'd post this up here to gauge my progress versus other's similar experiences. Sounds like we're all spread across a pretty wide range. Hopefully we'll heal up sooner than most. Time will tell. Best of luck to you, too!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
I'm truly amazed that these guys are taking swings at 10 weeks. The surgeon told me that 6 months is when full strength of the repair is reached, at which point I can begin truly pushing my limits and restoring the associated muscles. Seems like a lot of conflicting views from everyone's doctors here -- unless doctors are clearing patients for swinging a bat long before healing is complete. That seems extremely risky, but what do I know?

Understand that EVERY single persons tear is different from the next guy's, and we all heal differently. Me and my brother both had our labrum repairs about two weeks apart, both got two anchors, and I was 100% cleared with no restrictions almost two months before he was. Heck, with these tears even doctors don't know the severity until they cut you open. MRIs can't reveal enough

Just listen to your doctor and PT