ASA A First (for me) and a Question

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
The "First": Had a triple play in a game I umped last night. 1st and 2nd, soft liner over second base, 2B barely gets there and makes the catch, flips to SS, who dances on second and tosses to 1B. Pretty cool.

The "Question": These fields have a fence that stops just a little past first. Had an overthrow heading that way and there was "no chance" it was staying in, or so I thought, until it hit the crap part of the foul territory and hopped straight up, staying in play.

I prematurely called "dead ball".

There was a runner that was probably close to 3rd and another at 2B. After I realized the ball stayed in I tried to correct myself as the guy at 3rd was coming across the plate and the other was rounding 3rd, but quickly realized the defense reacted to my call. I stopped play and "froze it" - Putting the runners back on 2nd an 3rd.

I grabbed the offensive manager right away and explained my decision, he was cool with it and both runners scored on the next hit anyway, to my relief, somewhat.

Should I have put them where I believed they would have gotten or was I right to "freeze" it?

BTW, not looking for any commentary on the premature call (I'll probably catch more hell here than I did on the field last night :)). I know I screwed it up. 2nd night of the season, gotta get the kinks out.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
The "First": Had a triple play in a game I umped last night. 1st and 2nd, soft liner over second base, 2B barely gets there and makes the catch, flips to SS, who dances on second and tosses to 1B. Pretty cool.

The "Question": These fields have a fence that stops just a little past first. Had an overthrow heading that way and there was "no chance" it was staying in, or so I thought, until it hit the crap part of the foul territory and hopped straight up, staying in play.

I prematurely called "dead ball".

There was a runner that was probably close to 3rd and another at 2B. After I realized the ball stayed in I tried to correct myself as the guy at 3rd was coming across the plate and the other was rounding 3rd, but quickly realized the defense reacted to my call. I stopped play and "froze it" - Putting the runners back on 2nd an 3rd.

I grabbed the offensive manager right away and explained my decision, he was cool with it and both runners scored on the next hit anyway, to my relief, somewhat.

Should I have put them where I believed they would have gotten or was I right to "freeze" it?

BTW, not looking for any commentary on the premature call (I'll probably catch more hell here than I did on the field last night :)). I know I screwed it up. 2nd night of the season, gotta get the kinks out.

Stuff happens. Since you put both teams at a disadvantage, I think you did the right thing. Once you kill the play, you can't unkill (I know that is not a word) it.

I will have a strike or a ball call once every couple of games I wish I could take back......

I have had a few unassisted triple plays in JO ball......always fun.

Joel

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Ahhh... The infamous "oh **** moment." We've all been there. ;)

Once you ring the bell, you can't unring it. Calling "dead ball" kills the play immediately.

There's no "prescribed way" to handle when an umpire ****s up. Rule 10-3-C empowers the plate umpire to "rectify any situation in which the reversal of an umpire's decision or a delayed call by an umpire places a batter-runner, a runner or the defensive team in jeopardy," and I think this definitely qualifies.

Would I have advanced the runners? Probably not, but I didn't see the play. I'd have a tough time explaining to a defensive coach why I killed the play and then told runners they got a free base out of my mistake.

My (gentle) advice on the call. Remember two phrases:
  1. It's nothing until it's something.
  2. It's nothing until you call it.
I always assume that a defensive player is going to drop the ball. I wait for them to prove to me that they have control of the ball, or that the release is voluntary. It reduces my premature catch/no catch calls.

I also assume that the ball is in play until I see it actually enter dead ball territory (DBT). I'll assume a big gust of wind will stop it, or a bird will hit it, or aliens will beam it back onto the field. Until I see something, it's still nothing.

**** happens. We've all been there, and any umpire saying they've never made a premature call is a liar.

I doubt you'll repeat this mistake anytime soon. Live, learn, move on. :)

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
I always assume that a defensive player is going to drop the ball. I wait for them to prove to me that they have control of the ball, or that the release is voluntary. It reduces my premature catch/no catch calls.

I have to admit, I did laugh a bit to myself later because this was one of my worst self-analyzed problems last year and I felt I was really good so far this year (This was my 6th game).

Thanks for the comments, both of you.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
I have to admit, I did laugh a bit to myself later because this was one of my worst self-analyzed problems last year and I felt I was really good so far this year (This was my 6th game).

Thanks for the comments, both of you.

The first college game I ever called, I was behind the plate and the first pitch of the game was a fastball that was fully over the inside part of the plate belt high and I "balled" it.

The leadoff hitter was the pitcher for the other team and looked back at me with a somewhat horrified look on her face.

I shook it off and had a good rest of the game.

I think nervousness was a bit of a factor in that one. Lucky that I was able to shake it off.

Joel

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I also assume that the ball is in play until I see it actually enter dead ball territory (DBT). I'll assume........or aliens will beam it back onto the field.

Wouldn't you have spectator interference and a dead ball in that case? ;)

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
i had something similar happen last night. Bases loaded no outs, Hard hit ball to left field, LF jumps and almost catches (ball hits pocket and bends the glove over enough that the ball jumped out) I call catch, then I see the ball coming out and call no catch, and the center fielder makes it under just in time to catch it before hitting the ground so I call CATCH CATCH CATCH!!!!!! out 1. I look up and the guy on 2nd is still standing on the bag, I have no idea about the guy on 3rd and the guy on first is heading back to tag up... they throw the ball in and relay it in time to get the guy going back to 1st to tag up out 2. Well the whole team including coaches of the team that is hitting comes out on the field and are yelling and everyone looks confused so I call time. I explained the caught ball situation and the reason for the guy that was on first being out. The runner from second is standing on 3rd and knows he was safe.... then this guy goes "what about me?" I asked where you were and he said on 3rd.... I said well did you run? He tells me "no, i was just standing here watching (about 10-15ft down the line towards home)"... so I sent him back to 3rd and the runner back to 2nd and they have 2 outs now... their coach was pissed and started a little spirited arguing... so I tell him "had you stayed in your dugout you would have scored a run and had a runner on 3rd now with 2 outs...... still wanna yell at me???"

ah church league