A PRO200 fan needing advice and a collection pic

Hello all.
I am primarily a baseball player, and 19 of my 20 gloves are baseball but I recently acquired a beautiful PRO207-TI in a trade for a used A2K 1721. I'm also beginning to transition to playing some slowpitch, with last year being my first in my church league. I used a Louisville slugger flare for the season and although it worked I want to find a softball glove in my favorite pattern, a PRO200. So, I'm struggling with whether or not to just use my PRO207-TI, or to find something a bit bigger. I play infield mostly, occasionally getting a few innings in the outfield when we play a strong hitting team.
If any of the more seasoned softball players want to chime in I would appreciate the advice. As a 16-year-old, I am very new to the game of slowpitch and have almost no glove experience.
I love my PRO200's but if that isn't what works best then let me know because I am certainly open to change.

I also am thinking about getting a 44 in the 574 pattern. As far as their gloves go for baseball I have been very pleased.

Thanks for your responses! I'll post some pics of the collection and my PRO207-TI in a bit when I have a chance.

- Also, just remembered. I have a 12 inch DW5 that looks like Juston Turner's. Is this the way to go?

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Question(s)........what’s your favorite web? And would you consider something outside the Pro200 family?

Question(s)........what’s your favorite web? And would you consider something outside the Pro200 family?
I really like the RV web. But an H-web is cool too.
And I would definitely be open to something new. I had an NP5 and it wasn't bad at all. But I like the thumb to pinky close, or something close to that. Certainly no thumb to pointer finger.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Just my .02 and many disagree but I personally see no reason to go smaller than 12.5 for softball infield. Most 12.75 inch gloves work well anywhere on the field. If I wanted a pro 200 I’d be looking at the 12.25 pro 1000 which is a 200 pattern if I understand correctly. Or the 13” pro 1000 sbf exclusive. The nado is another 200 pattern glove that plays pretty big. Really the 207 might be good if you like a little smaller glove.

Just my .02 and many disagree but I personally see no reason to go smaller than 12.5 for softball infield. Most 12.75 inch gloves work well anywhere on the field. If I wanted a pro 200 I’d be looking at the 12.25 pro 1000 which is a 200 pattern if I understand correctly. Or the 13” pro 1000 sbf exclusive. The nado is another 200 pattern glove that plays pretty big. Really the 207 might be good if you like a little smaller glove.
I really like my 207. Like a lot. Im just scared it will be too small. I think I want a 12.5 or bigger

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a 12.5" 208. Bigger than that? Look at the 303, especially if you like thumb to pinkie closure.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
What web is the 208?
Rawlings, unlike Wilson, does not specify a web with each model. But if you want a stock glove, they don't do 208s very often so it will be hard to find one with any web (it's not a very popular glove). If you get a custom, you can pick any web you want!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
My Horween NP7 is maybe a third broken it, maybe? Breaking it in traditional with index out, just went and grabbed it and put it on TIP and played around with it. I think the NP’s favor traditional but this glove will easily work TIP, for me it was closing thumb to ring.

You said thumb to pinky......or something close, would thumb to ring work?

You never said whether or not you wear your glove TIP? Maybe I’m just assuming with the way you said you like your gloves to close.

My Horween NP7 is maybe a third broken it, maybe? Breaking it in traditional with index out, just went and grabbed it and put it on TIP and played around with it. I think the NP’s favor traditional but this glove will easily work TIP, for me it was closing thumb to ring.

You said thumb to pinky......or something close, would thumb to ring work?

You never said whether or not you wear your glove TIP? Maybe I’m just assuming with the way you said you like your gloves to close.
Sorry to both Rous and Anna's Dad.

By what web, I meant what stock webs. I don't have the budget for a custom at this moment, unless its a 44 pro.

And I wear my gloves TIP normally, especially when breaking them in. I occasionally have one that just feels right traditional and go that route but 90% of the time I use my glove TIP

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
My original question was serious, what’s your favorite web? The reason I asked is because of your baseball background, tons of I-webs in baseball infield gloves. That’s were I was going to slide into the NP7 suggestion even though it’s not a 200 pattern.

full

Here is my collection.

Starting at the top left, going right across the row and then down to the next.
44 pro pine bluff college issue - 11.25in
Kelley first base mitt - 14in
Marucci Ascension series - 32 in
Rawlings GGE 32.5 in
NEXT ROW
Mizuno global elite - 11.75 in
Steelo Stadium Series - 11.5 in
Rawlings Pro Preferred JJ Hardy - 11.5 in
Rawlings HOH PRO204 - 11.5 in (I bought it for dirt cheap, because of the sharpie all over. Its bible verses)
Lefty A2000 GOTM Kershaw - 11.75 in
NEXT ROW
Mizuno Global elite - 11.5
Rawlings HOH pro205 - 11.75
Custom Rawlings HOH TT2 - 11.5 (I don't like this glove and it has hardly been used)
Rawlings HOH Pro200-GTB (1175) Crawford - 11.75 in
44 pro (bought for dirt cheap and a sort of a fun glove. I let teammates use it.) - 11.75 in
NEXT ROW
My Custom 44 pro Oiled Chesnut - 11.75 in but plays HUGE! Like 12.25 maybe
Wilson A2000 DW5 - 12 in (I know next to nothing about this one)
Rawlings PRO207-TI HOH SBF Exclusive - 12.25
Louisville slugger professional series. - Labeled 11.75 but is 12 inches at least. I gamed it last year for slowpitch
Rawlings HOH 3-dot Pro302-6JB (I think thats right)

Looking for more info on the DW5 and the Bottom right Rawlings

Jomatty

Starting Player
My original question was serious, what’s your favorite web? The reason I asked is because of your baseball background, tons of I-webs in baseball infield gloves. That’s were I was going to slide into the NP7 suggestion even though it’s not a 200 pattern.
The fact that it is not a 200 pattern is one thing but np’s are about polar opposite of 200 pattern gloves. I almost feel like people prefer one style or the other...I know you like both but np’s and 200’s just seem to do everything different...that said, I’ve got a spring training np7 I’d trade for the 207. I’ve already got one of the 207 tl but I may need another one...

Last edited:

Jomatty

Starting Player
Get a horween 504. I’ve got one of those pro 207 tl and they are so nice. Too small for me to play softball with but really nice gloves.

Jomatty

Starting Player
That 302 would work while you decidwhat you want for softball. Don’t believe it’s too big for infield. A 12 inch ball in a 12.75 inch glove is bigger than a baseball in an 11.5” glove...

I do like them both. Especially after I remove a bit of the pad in the NP and make it bend to my will of a thumb to rig squeeze.

If I started hoarding gloves (more than now) I would have so many of the timber glaze. They are amazing!
I have the pocket on the 302 fitting a baseball and I am scared to switch. What does the J stand for in the model number?

I would love a horween 504, but I would love a 208 even more.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I do like them both. Especially after I remove a bit of the pad in the NP and make it bend to my will of a thumb to rig squeeze.

If I started hoarding gloves (more than now) I would have so many of the timber glaze. They are amazing!
I have the pocket on the 302 fitting a baseball and I am scared to switch. What does the J stand for in the model number?

I would love a horween 504, but I would love a 208 even more.
That 208 is tough to find if you can’t afford to do a custom. A Wilson 1781 would work well. I just got a Mizuno pro select 12.75 deep pocket that measures 12.5ish that would work really well. I think committed has another one for sale. If you like np style gloves the np7’s measure like 12.5. I like a wider glove for slow pitch personally but better fielders than me seem to like them a lot...

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Looking for more info on the DW5 and the Bottom right Rawlings

DW5 was modeled after David Wright’s gamer and he wore the #5. He was an all star 3B for the New York Mets. That model developed a nice bowl pattern but play small in my opinion.

If you are looking for 208s or 504s (both patterns are advertised as 12.5”), start a conversation with Podo, he can also give some info and is selling a few too.

Jomatty

Starting Player
DW5 was modeled after David Wright’s gamer and he wore the #5. He was an all star 3B for the New York Mets. That model developed a nice bowl pattern but play small in my opinion.

If you are looking for 208s or 504s (both patterns are advertised as 12.5”), start a conversation with Podo, he can also give some info and is selling a few too.
Great gloves but play a little smaller than the 207 he is currently using.

tbarb

I was in the same predicament you seem to be in and wondering what to use in the way of a glove for softball. In my case I was entering the game after a 30 some year absence. Shame on me - but after a year or two of looking and trying I found the 208 to be my best pick. I had to make it custom - a PP which was the hardest glove to break in I tried. It had pocket wobble for the longest time, but the length and pocket size were good. I used it for 2 years . My search involved a must have of stiff thumbs and pinkies which flunked most the gloves I tried. Every glove called a softball glove failed at this and in my view was floppy. With the best gloves on line mostly and not in physical stores I ended up ordering many on a return basis just to handle them and trying some of them and rotating them through eBay for 5 yrs. I ended up with a 3039 pattern and an SP125 as my number one and two gloves , the SP125 is a softball fans made hybrid for softball which a lot of folks like and I believe is based on the DW5 you mention. I've been happy with these 2 gloves for about 3 years and have improved using them, and am thinking I am at the end of the road finally. If I needed a single glove I would get another 3039. The SP125/DW5 plays smaller IMO, the 208 and bit narrower IMO, and the 3039 has similar length, but seems to me to have a wider pocket, and it is still deep enough for softball yet easy to find the ball on transfers. All are H webs. Additionally I have slender hands and require a smaller hand stall so the glove is snug. So of course your mileage may vary.

Your certainly in the same lane with mentions you are considering as far as where my travels took me. I am a middle infielder - 2B and SS - and the 12.75 3039 and the 12.5 SP125 for length are good, the 208 remains a back up, but that of course is just me. There will be other opinions and more informed ones, but the slightly longer length on a glove used for slow pitch I don't think is as much an issue in softball as hardball when it comes to transfers and such, and is somewhat of a help if only mental.

Last edited:

ShortYellowBus

I can chime in on what I feel is adequate for the positions I play, and the gloves I like.

I like the larger Vinci’s, and I love the Vinci TJ 1952L for pitching and outfield work. It’s 13.5” and very wide. I’d consider using this glove at 3rd base if I’m playing against guys who truly smash.

3rd base I grab a 1799 or a 1781. Middle infield I always go with the NP7. First base is a 13.25” GW.

Slowly getting more rotations is a YP66 and GWxDR horween GO96 custom.

That YP66 web is fantastic.

I was in the same predicament you seem to be in and wondering what to use in the way of a glove for softball. In my case I was entering the game after a 30 some year absence. Shame on me - but after a year or two of looking and trying I found the 208 to be my best pick. I had to make it custom - a PP which was the hardest glove to break in I tried. It had pocket wobble for the longest time, but the length and pocket size were good. I used it for 2 years . My search involved a must have of stiff thumbs and pinkies which flunked most the gloves I tried. Every glove called a softball glove failed at this and in my view was floppy. With the best gloves on line mostly and not in physical stores I ended up ordering many on a return basis just to handle them and trying some of them and rotating them through eBay for 5 yrs. I ended up with a 3039 pattern and an SP125 as my number one and two gloves , the SP125 is a softball fans made hybrid for softball which a lot of folks like and I believe is based on the DW5 you mention. I've been happy with these 2 gloves for about 3 years and have improved using them, and am thinking I am at the end of the road finally. If I needed a single glove I would get another 3039. The SP125/DW5 plays smaller IMO, the 208 and bit narrower IMO, and the 3039 has similar length, but seems to me to have a wider pocket, and it is still deep enough for softball yet easy to find the ball on transfers. All are H webs. Additionally I have slender hands and require a smaller hand stall so the glove is snug. So of course your mileage may vary.

Your certainly in the same lane with mentions you are considering as far as where my travels took me. I am a middle infielder - 2B and SS - and the 12.75 3039 and the 12.5 SP125 for length are good, the 208 remains a back up, but that of course is just me. There will be other opinions and more informed ones, but the slightly longer length on a glove used for slow pitch I don't think is as much an issue in softball as hardball when it comes to transfers and such, and is somewhat of a help if only mental.
Can I see what your gloves look like? I also have more slender hands, size M batting glove. And thanks for this info! It's valuable!

I can chime in on what I feel is adequate for the positions I play, and the gloves I like.

I like the larger Vinci’s, and I love the Vinci TJ 1952L for pitching and outfield work. It’s 13.5” and very wide. I’d consider using this glove at 3rd base if I’m playing against guys who truly smash.

3rd base I grab a 1799 or a 1781. Middle infield I always go with the NP7. First base is a 13.25” GW.

Slowly getting more rotations is a YP66 and GWxDR horween GO96 custom.

That YP66 web is fantastic.
So, with me not liking Wilson very much, what would you recommend? I also have small hands. I tried a 1781 and it felt like my fingers were drowning!
I'm not looking at getting a custom, unless its about 200$ or less. Maybe 250$ for a dime. I only play twice a week and don't need anything too expensive.

tbarb

I will try to post a few images for you - however I tried to list a Miken 2016 Freak Black many would think is a pretty good bat and a new Jason Kendrick Senior bat, but the website would not accept it as too large a file. My camera's don't apparently take small enough files. Your hands are probably smaller than mine. The hand stall opening is 7" around the conventional strap on both my gloves to make it snug. Many of the gloves I tried would not even adjust to that small a length so be careful - appoint you may want to ask about before you order anything on line. As some help if the pics do not get accepted the 208 does look exactly like any 207 pic I've seen - just a tad longer, however, I've never seen any 208 non custom glove. If you don't like Wilsons for whatever reason the SP125 does not matter as it is everything I've ever seen or felt in a Wilson glove - appearing smaller, curved fingers to a small extent, but pretty good feel. The Rawlings 3039 can be seen on this site store, eBay, and Rawlings site. When you view them all at once the similarity in pocket and size are fairly apparent and that's how I became finally satisfied after many failures. I tried the Vinci TJ1952 ShortYellowBus mentioned which is a softball glove, and I thought it perfect for outfield and used it a bit to catch as we take turns covering the plate for the other team if they are short players. May be bit big for SS/2B but could work. The hand stall was fine for a 13.5 glove and that makes a big difference. Anyway wish you luck - thanks for the kudos comment. I am certainly not professionally knowledgeable - just know what I was looking for and muddled through it.

ShortYellowBus

So, with me not liking Wilson very much, what would you recommend? I also have small hands. I tried a 1781 and it felt like my fingers were drowning!
I'm not looking at getting a custom, unless its about 200$ or less. Maybe 250$ for a dime. I only play twice a week and don't need anything too expensive.
Grab a SBF Horween 12.25” NP7. It’s excellent.

I have stated a few options for a few positions, but the middle infield needs that glove I can get extra confidence in, and I get that confidence with the NP7.

All the gloves you have are great. My hands are not the same as yours, so I’m just suggesting what works for me. I have big hands and I always go TIP. The NP7 might be too big, but a quick adjustment to the wrist might do the trick.

Good luck!