A question for outfielders.

Adower

Star Player
any tip for reading fly balls better and quicker?
After getting burned a couple of times, I have a tendency to watch the fly ball for too long and that results in a late jump. A relatively easier catch turns into a full rush catch instead. Is it just a matter of seeing a lot of fly balls and get used to or is there some tricks to expedite the learning curve? Thanks.

Practice, practice, practice. Generally, it is easier to run forward than backwards. Your first step should always be backwards.

Watch the ball come off the bat. If it has a high apex your going to have more time to judge it/get under it. If its a line shot you have to make a move quick.

Adower

Star Player
I am definitely not ashamed of playing behind the plate or eh in regular leagues ive earned that right, all the young dummys that think they can play those positions but can't can fight over them all they want.. i play wherever the coach wants me to in seniors.

Btw if you guys do infact do drink beer in dugouts/between innings you guys are spoiled lol.. we are not allowed to drink in dugouts/during games, city ordinance says we're not supposed to drink in parking lot aftet games but the commish amd cops don't harp on that.

Even if you could drink I wouldn't until after. We had a guy on our team two years ago drink a couple beers pre game. He played outfield and a guy hit a towering fly. Our guy mis judged it and the ball hit him on the chin, cut him open and he had to leave and get stitches.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Even if you could drink I wouldn't until after. We had a guy on our team two years ago drink a couple beers pre game. He played outfield and a guy hit a towering fly. Our guy mis judged it and the ball hit him on the chin, cut him open and he had to leave and get stitches.
Never have myself, that can wait till afterwards as far as im concerned

r8dr_rider

try playing 3B after throwing back a few pre game

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been struggling lately too. I try for my first step to be back but I've been having balls drop in front of me a lot. I hear people saying that "I should have got to balls that are hit on a line and don't hang. One thing I do is look at how the batter sets up and even check swings. Balls hit right at me and over my head are my biggest challenge, so I cheat over some so I can run laterally and at angles instead of backpeddling, turning around taking my eyes off the ball, or running not knowing how close the fence is.

dunkky

i took all these guys feed back. Let me share my experience in order.

1. catch a lot of fly balls. i mean a lot at least a few hundreds.
1.5. you need a good glove, period. makes huge difference. go with 14".. thanks Captain!!!
2. be ready, watch the hitter, not pitcher, and relax. don't just stand there, be ready like in fielder.
3. have confidence, that you have the speed and wheels. ( at least i have this confidence, works out very nice for me)
4. don't try to meet the ball. rather, sprint and wait for it.

i am a different OF than i was a month ago now. but still in progress...

Good luck to you!

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm starting to hate the outfield, truth is, softball players are too fickle. I played in a higher class tournament and I played outfield and there were some seeds that were hit just a few feet from me (and I'm not the type to slow down and let balls drop in front of me). Because I wasn't catching them, I was pulled saying that I wasn't "relaxed enough". I guess that got in my head because I'm not attacking the ball as aggressive out there. Lately, balls that I think are catchable will be just over my head. I used to use my feet until I got into position, sometimes take my eyes completely off the ball and run straight back to get catches but people say "it's suspect" or whatever. Now it's like I'm trying to look the part while making plays look easy and hope not to make an error. God forbid someone drops a ball.

This is whats always worked for me, but it might not be the best advice for everyone so take it with a grain of salt..

1. Most people are taught to watch the ball from the pitchers windup and into the hitters bat... For me I find that as I got older its easier to watch the strike zone to pick up the ball quicker

2. Off the bat, try to get low on your drop step to get a better idea of the balls flight path

Bonus tip - Never drift to the ball even on routine plays, you never want people to tag up on you or take extra bases

r8dr_rider

BP is a good way of practicing fielding too, if you have good hitters. Practice like you play, try catching all the balls. It’s also a great workout

dunkky

although i lost some power, losing weight really accelerate my performance on both ends. it's hard to get back to my workout routine again once you stop it for a few month.. I need to get back to my routine to get my muscle back.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
although i lost some power, losing weight really accelerate my performance on both ends. it's hard to get back to my workout routine again once you stop it for a few month.. I need to get back to my routine to get my muscle back.
Probably didn’t lose power, just less weight to shift and put behind your swing. It seems like it’s annually now that I will lose about 20 pounds to maintain a good weight but the only thing I’ll change is m diet. My gym habits stay the same.
That post though, I feel like I’ve got worst in the outfield from listening to people. I’ve gotten unwarranted, unsolicited advice, even been pulled and hadn’t even committed an error. Told I look nervous or scared of the ball, I don’t know wtf. I would move quick to the ball and make adjustments sometimes until the ball hits my glove, basket catches, jumping to make some catches or even running straight back. So I was thinking, let me change that up so trying to settle and relax a little more, I find myself getting burned more or balls dripping in front of me. Guess it’s back to the drawing board, back to bp and structured fielding drills

Last edited: