Adding New Players to Team - Managing Egos

Stackemnwhackem

Im sure there are a lot of people on here w more experience in running a team than me. My question is how you all handle adding players to a team when it results in position changes for existing players. We have added a new player this season and he is a recent ex-minor league outfielder. His typical position is LC. Our current LC fielder is a decent player but has his struggles in the field at times. My initial thought along w others on the team is to allow him to play the position and move the current LC over to RC. But I just know that he is gonna throw a fit and act super offended that we gave the new guy his position without making him play a few games first. But I cant imagine he will be a downgrade and I want to field the best team. Suggestions? Does our guy need to suck it up or am I out of line? Thanks.

saintrules

Loyalty vs. Leadership.

If you want to be loyal, you need to explain to the incoming player that the current LC is your guy and put the incomer to RC. Eventually, that LC is going to forgo his position if errors keep occurring. If you want to be a leader, you need to put the best players at their best positions and call it a day, regardless of attitudes/egos/tantrums.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
But I just know that he is gonna throw a fit and act super offended that we gave the new guy his position without making him play a few games first.

Let him throw a fit then. It would be different if you were booting a friend and longtime teammate for a better player, but you only plan on asking him to make a minor position shift. If he has a tantrum over that, he's selfish and cares more about his ego than your team.

I play on three different teams. On one I bumped myself from the infield to the outfield because we picked up a ringer shortstop. On another I usually play 2b but I've filled in in the OF several times because we were missing players. And on the third I'm the new guy so I fill in wherever, depending on who we have on a given night. So far I've played games at 3b, 2b, and RF. A good teammate will be willing to move around and will play any position hard, without pouting.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Loyalty vs. Leadership.

If you want to be loyal, you need to explain to the incoming player that the current LC is your guy and put the incomer to RC. Eventually, that LC is going to forgo his position if errors keep occurring. If you want to be a leader, you need to put the best players at their best positions and call it a day, regardless of attitudes/egos/tantrums.
Agreed.. incoming should play where asked until they Get some games in with the team idc if he's xminor leaguer or whatever , don't rock the boat as time goes by and lc continues to have his moments then gradually start the mention of trying different player at different postions this way it is not (should not ) be a slap in the face..

Country469

If they are keeping score, you play the best possible. No wonder the OSPB is full of rec lifers and guys who think softball break 12" underhand.

Don't play the good dude in LC, go ahead and lose him to a smarter/better team next year. This whole feelings bull**** is comical.

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
You should cut the guy who sucks and make sure you brag to him when you guys win the league title with your new centerfielder leading the way

Dogue

Evil Genius
Why upgrade if you're not going to use his skills? LC typically gets a lot more action and you want your best outfielder there. I know people who try to say "I only play X position", but they're not on any teams I play on. Good players adapt. A switch to LC from RC isn't a big deal.

blakcherry329

If you're an OF, why would it matter where you play? Do what's best for the team. A good teammate would want to do that anyway. If he's an ex minor leaguer then no explanation is needed. Also, try 5 man, like others have said.
If someone gets butthurt because of a move then you don't need him on the team.

MaverickAH

You're the manager, so manage............

It's a tough job that's made easier when you're consistent from day one. When you let your team know what your expectations for them are from the beginning & what level of performance/improvement they need to show in order to maintain their position, you make your job easier because you can quantify your decisions with numbers. You want to put players in positions where they have the best chance to succeed & help the team. End of story.........

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Right Center gets plenty of action as well. So really not a big deal. Just give it a few games first so everyone can see the new guy is much better defensively and it won't be an issue.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why did you pick up a new guy if you had a full team? If it's too get better, does not playing the new guy make you better? No? Then there's your answer.

Like the guy said above, if you want to play buddy ball and reward loyalty over skill, don't pick up guys when you already have guys. If you want to compete, do what's best and deal with the bitches after. Playing a guy over a better player so he wont throw a fit us also unfair to the other guys. Also, the other guys will realize they can just throw a fit to get their way and they're either going to all do that or quit to get away from it.

Be honest, kind, and to the point. If he throws a fit there it's on him.

Stackemnwhackem

Appreciate all of the honest (and surprisingly non-sarcastic) feedback. We played the new guy in LC. I agree with the posters that said to play the best guys. Its not fair to the rest of the team that wants to win to play a guy over fear of hurt feelings. Id gladly bump myself if we could upgrade the position so its not like im asking anyone to do anything I wouldnt do myself. The previous LC fielder took it in stride. Its clear the new player is an upgrade especially after the first game. Case closed. Thanks all

Stackemnwhackem

I also think we may try the 5 man infield sometime during the season if It seems like the outfield can work w 3 fielders (early returns look good). Thanks for that suggestion as well

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
I usually have enough trouble getting ten people together, but most of the people on my teams are willing to shift around to make sure everyone gets time in the field.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
yeah you probably were just thinking ahead and thats good. but most guys will realize when someone is head and shoulders above their skill level and if its competitive ball you just relinquish. but i think i'd have no problem makign the guy prove it. i've seen a few "ex minor leaguers" who suck a fat pile of wieners.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
yeah you probably were just thinking ahead and thats good. but most guys will realize when someone is head and shoulders above their skill level and if its competitive ball you just relinquish. but i think i'd have no problem makign the guy prove it. i've seen a few "ex minor leaguers" who suck a fat pile of wieners.

You'd think that would be the case, but the guy that bitched the most about playing time was the worst player on the team who honestly thought he was still one of the the top 4 guys.

Can't believe those MF'ers cut me this year.

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
This is a possibility. Had a friend (former minor-leaguer) start playing with us who could run down and catch everything, but his shoulder was shot and throwing and hitting was erratic at best. He ended up only playing the first inning or two then had to sit out, and eventually just decided it wasn't worth it.