adjustments from ASA to Utrip

Board bros,

Anybody play league ASA and Utrip tourneys on a regular basis? we play ASA league in McKinney 2 nights a week and then utrip tourney ball on the weekends. our league games have been getting rained out as of late so almost 3 weeks of seeing utrip pitching exclusively has made it difficult for me to adjust back to ASA. myself and most of my team seemed to have similar struggles in last nights playoff loss. any suggestions from anybody in a similar situation?

the ump we had last night didn't help either, but seeing pitches come in at different heights and angles was difficult to adjust to

KYLE00

Banned User
Take some BP before the game to get some timing down. Wouldnt think it would be that much different.

when I'm playing both consistently, its not as hard to adjust because I have done both in the same week before. but with our ASA league playing at a complex that just collects water, games played after or during rain is often difficult or next to impossible. when we have long periods between league games but continue to play tourneys, its easy to get comfortable seeing utrip pitching.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
That guy was letting 12' go. I had some struggles in my first game that night. When I play a second game I was crushing.

22justin82

Addicted to Softballfans
its softball, you should be able to hit anything betwenn 6' and 12'...ya different angles but not that big of a difference. You would be really fugged in a no arc limit

qhendrix

Addicted to Softballfans
Fast and flat is different then slow and high

Fast is still not that fast. See ball, hit ball. Of course, if you stink like me there's not a lot of differnce :). I agree with kyle, just take a few bp cuts at pitches like you're gonna see in the game. Should be good enough. I play baseball and softball during the fall and that seems to work ok for me. It really doesn't take too long to adjust. I started playing baseball again last year (hadn't picked a baseball up in 17 years) and by 10-15 pitches was seeing the ball pretty well.
Of course I'm not a hitting guru like a lot of guys on here.

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
Some of the people I play with have this problem but I think its because they're not that good.

Fishstick5

Addicted to Softballfans
You just have to wait when you come back to ASA and sit further back in the box.

When I do the back and forth I typically try to hit a couple oppo field to make sure I am waiting on the ball a little more when playing ASA. That would be my suggestion and it has helped me get my timing back.

Country35

Banned User
3-10 and 6-10 are not really that big of a deal.........I know I'll get called a **** for saying this, but the ball is coming in underhand at 10 mph bro......the adjustment u need to make is to stop ****ing worrying about how an underhand pitch comes in and just ****ing hit it.

copper1150

DO OVER!!!
3-10 and 6-10 are not really that big of a deal.........I know I'll get called a **** for saying this, but the ball is coming in underhand at 10 mph bro......the adjustment u need to make is to stop ****ing worrying about how an underhand pitch comes in and just ****ing hit it.

Its a huge deal....speed,arc,where you stand in the box, all different in ASA and Utrip.....you used to play in Illinois you should know this

just moonshots!

2 out nightmare
no big change for me. just stand a step towards the back of the box. then im still hitting the ball in the zone i want. speed/arc adjustment is taken care of by taking a pitch. then its game on..

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans

The issue was we saw 3-5 foot pitches all weekend. Didn't have time to BP then we saw 10-11 foot pitches during the playoff game. We didn't all strike out...:rolleyes: but we had some pop ups that we normally don't have.

Country35

Banned User
Its a huge deal....speed,arc,where you stand in the box, all different in ASA and Utrip.....you used to play in Illinois you should know this

I routinely switch between utrip and NSA which is basically ASA pitching these day all the time, makes no difference to me, see ball hit ball.

The issue was we saw 3-5 foot pitches all weekend. Didn't have time to BP then we saw 10-11 foot pitches during the playoff game. We didn't all strike out...:rolleyes: but we had some pop ups that we normally don't have.

its still coming in at 10 mph underhand, goog hitters wont have a problem

IMO yes

Country35

Banned User
I play both weekly, flatter pitch=line drives, arc=deep hits...

I play both weekly.....the arch doesnt matter to me uless its over 15' which should be illegal anywhere u are playing sanctioned slowpitch. Its where u hit the ball that matters, not where they throw it.

copper1150

DO OVER!!!
I play both weekly.....the arch doesnt matter to me uless its over 15' which should be illegal anywhere u are playing sanctioned slowpitch. Its where u hit the ball that matters, not where they throw it.

WTF are you talking about....Arc does matter. Flat pitch you will get more linedrives.

Country35

Banned User
WTF are you talking about....Arc does matter. Flat pitch you will get more linedrives.

wtf are u talking about....you hit down through the ball and cut it if u wanna hit it in the air a long ways or hit straight through it to hit a line drive.......flat pitches are eaiser to cut the arch pitches

UptotheKnuckle

Addicted to Softballfans
try playing SCMAF where you usually see 14"-16" pitches and where some umpires let 18" pitches go from time to time... gets real annoying... Had one ump let the pitcher throw 20ft arc because he was 6'5" and it "seemed" like 16" to him. That guy hit some birds that game.

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
Its a big difference, especially if an ump is giving a 15' cieling and 2' fastball with utrip. I agree with shep adjusting where you stand in the box can help alot.

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the leagues.

ASA league I pitch 10-12' arcs.

USSSA League is 10-Man Modified Pitch, and I can heat them in flat and at 50+MPH (from 40' away, mind you). AND I can get movement/knuckles to dance pretty good at these speeds.

I regularly take players from one team to the other, and those who are new to one/other ALWAYS have trouble adjusting. Takes at least a few at-bats. Some really struggle...

That is about as extreme a difference as you get in slow-pitch.

That being said, I also have a couple girls who play with me on both teams that hit well in both leagues... so it can be done... even by a girl. ;)

Country35

Banned User
Its a big difference, especially if an ump is giving a 15' cieling and 2' fastball with utrip. I agree with shep adjusting where you stand in the box can help alot.

the 2' fastball is rarely called a strike most places, and is super easy to hit back up the middle to u dont get those any more. Anything between 5' and 12' should be no problem what so ever for a decent hitter

KYLE00

Banned User
the 2' fastball is rarely called a strike most places, and is super easy to hit back up the middle to u dont get those any more. Anything between 5' and 12' should be no problem what so ever for a decent hitter

Right, but guys get all scared when the see the flat ball barreling down the pipe and swing away ,slam the bat down, then piss and moan at the ump like its their fault they swung at a ****ty pitch.

try playing SCMAF where you usually see 14"-16" pitches and where some umpires let 18" pitches go from time to time... gets real annoying... Had one ump let the pitcher throw 20ft arc because he was 6'5" and it "seemed" like 16" to him. That guy hit some birds that game.

18 feet ain't nothing bro. I play in an Unlimited Arc league that has a 6 foot pitch minimum :eek: 30 footers falling out of the sky for strikes is pretty common..