Advice for young player starting USSSA tournament ball

themdingers51

Starting Player
I plan to play in my first USSSA tournament, the Peach State Classic this year. I have played rec ball along with some benefit tournaments the last couple of years. I am 19, and I've lost about 13 pounds since December (and counting... Went from 215 to 202 right now) (I really want to be in shape for this coming year, unlike the last 2 years I've been playing.) I'm not planning to play tournament ball very often as of now, but maybe two or three this year, just to get some experience in that atmosphere and see what areas I need to improve on. I've heard the saying, "You will not improve unless you get some experience playing some better players," or something of that nature, I guess. Any advice?

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
• Play for keeps. Everyone else is.
• If you're pitching, glove up after every pitch.
• Tournament ball is a completely different animal than league ball.
• Have fun.
• Eat clean if you can. You'll feel much better later in the day.

themdingers51

Starting Player
• Play for keeps. Everyone else is.
• If you're pitching, glove up after every pitch.
• Tournament ball is a completely different animal than league ball.
• Have fun.
• Eat clean if you can. You'll feel much better later in the day.

Appreciate the input... I know it's a completely different atmosphere, hence why I'm not doing it every weekend, just maybe a couple of times with a team of "more ready" players (Not necessarily more ready by ability but more like more ready physically and mentally really) that I coach.

I'm probably gonna get one of those EvoShield chest guards if I do choose to pitch, but that's slim to none. I'm not one of those guys that will just go out there like most young free spirits and then get hit by some douchebag or just accidentally while trying to make a "perfect play" and have to go to the ER. Needless to say, when I do pitch in league, I do wear a mask, and I do wear shinguards. I'd much rather live to be 100 than end my life early "trying to make it"...

I know that my team's not going to win this tournament either. Will we try to be the "Bad News Bears", the underdogs? Sure, but I'm more than aware our chances of winning the tournament are less than a gamma ray burst taking place. It's one thing to improve in general like only in rec ball, but my belief is that if I'm going to improve, I have to play against better players, passionate for this sport, like myself really when it boils down to it.

I've got questions about plans that most tournament ball players usually do in the gym and stuff like that, but I will make a separate topic on that later in the other sub forums... I'm really looking to make this year MY year. Go hard or go home really. If I had the money, I'd go to Teague's event, I know that's helped me go from a declining start of a year last year to by the end of the year having my best yearly OBA (On Base Average), which was around .725... But seeing as I can't even afford a new glove, still using the one passed down from my dad when he played in the Budweiser Marathon tournament in '90, I guess I'll have to use whatever resources I have up here I guess. LOL.

junski

Addicted to Softballfans
Hit bp at least twice a week including non tourney weekends if possible imo good luck.

themdingers51

Starting Player
Hit bp at least twice a week including non tourney weekends if possible imo good luck.

Got a tee, going to the gym 3 times a week. Once it actually warms up here in Atlanta, I plan to take the PopToss and hit the local school's lot they have up there... Thanks... I forgot to mention in the post above, when and how did you all get started in USSSA?

kjlee85

Expect the pump fakes and the short flat pitches. You might think it's coming in flat but most umpires at least around here won't call illegal.

lucky_t_8

Manager
If your going to play USSSA, it is mandatory to BP with utrip pitching. i know it's under hand, but good utrip teams build around a solid pitcher. Get familiar with the rules like 5 seconds to pitch the ball and 3' minimum hump. youtube has all the answers.

Stretch19

Grow up
put antiperspirant on the inside of your thighs when you are getting dressed in the morning...you will thank me after a long, hot day at the fields

whogotz

dilligaf?
put antiperspirant on the inside of your thighs when you are getting dressed in the morning...you will thank me after a long, hot day at the fields

this - or gold bond - or anti monkey butt powder

in the heat - start hydrating couple days before - consider a potassium pill the morning of, and definitely hydrate through the day - if you aint peeing - you aint drinking enough

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
1 - Don't try to hit nothing but bombs- You'll end the tourney with a new nickname - "Applebees" because you ended up 2 for 20.

2 - Find the fat infielder - usually the 2B or 1B. Smoke them with line drives all day. Close your stance and bomb on them.

3 - Don't pitch. That takes skill that you don't have if you're new.

4 - Listen - but don't ever listen to Joker on here.

lucky_t_8

Manager
Ryanclink nailed it. Words of wisdom right there. I made a solid career once i learned to blast oppo. Those damn shortstops are just too athletic. Then you add the 5 man? Pshhh forget it. Can't hit by em, hit thru em.

wardm22

Addicted to Softballfans
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that your first tournament be a Conference tournament but you'll definitely see the best of the best competition there. Stick around and watch some of the upper teams and see what they do. You can learn alot

kj13

Addicted to Softballfans
1 - Don't try to hit nothing but bombs- You'll end the tourney with a new nickname - "Applebees" because you ended up 2 for 20.

2 - Find the fat infielder - usually the 2B or 1B. Smoke them with line drives all day. Close your stance and bomb on them.

3 - Don't pitch. That takes skill that you don't have if you're new.

4 - Listen - but don't ever listen to Joker on here.

well said :thumb:

and talk shat lol

jhern391

Part Time Player
you have to hit bp a couple times a week! tournaments are not all fun and games like rec ball most of the time

Begs

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with the BP thing...it's underhand, it's slow pitch, but I have seen some nasty breaks on a ball moving 5mph...

Play your game, don't get caught up by the other team, and what they are doing. Some people play music, others talk trash, others don't talk at all. Play your game and don't get caught up on what the other team is doing.

Keep this in mind too, when playing tourney ball, the middle is always open. Lots of young tourney teams I see get pissed when guys smash the middle, especially in a 4 man infield, and it frustrates the younger team to a point of self combustion. Leauge night, I am not going to shoot the box unless I have to, tourney ball, if there is a hole there the ball is going there, I don't care what the pitcher is wearing.

Oh and don't hit homeruns, no one cares unless the bases are loaded, is a quick route to 0-2 BBQ

JRod21

Star Player
Not sure if you can bat flip in Utrip, but I know you can in NSA. Dont do it in ISA or Freedom they seem not to like it as much, cuz when I hit a piss missile by the pitchers face and do my routine bat flip, im usually walking back to the dugout. :):)