Advice needed batting order

r8dr_rider

Our team has normally been solid beer league champions season after season. This season we got bumped up to uppers. All of sudden the sticks are trash. I need to shake up the batting order and thought maybe I can get some advice here. Here are the players with some notes

this is not the line up just naming player by number. We are in 1 up HR league
P is power
C is contact

1C all singles batting .1000
2C Oppo hitting beast
3C. Solid big boy needs a runner
4C. Solid line drives
5P many pop ups but hits over wall once a game
6P lefty big boy. HRs but needs a runner
7P pop ups and HRs. Has speed
8C. Speed former lead off. Some lazers but has been Popping up a lot recently
9C. Lazers but is a no call no show from time to time
10P. Speed but pops up too much. Occasional HR. Former college baseball player
11C. OK Oppo hitter slow and fat. But we need someone to make fun of
12C. Decent but will always bat last.

What say you!!!!

1 - 1C
2- 2C
3 - 4C
4 - 9C when he’s there, skip to 5 when he’s not there
5 - 6 P
6 - 8C
7 - 3C
8 - 7P
9 - 10P
10 - 11C
11 - 12C bat him ahead of 5P
12 - 5P. New last place hitter

Yuengling “America’s oldest beer”. Always give 11C an extra cold beer for hitting behind the runner!!?? Now which number are you or are you just a manager in charge of all these heathens? Sounds like a good group. Go get ‘em.

Redsfan

My advise is this. If you are playing to win only bat your 10 best hitters. Batting 12 just limits your best guys at bats. Also don't put slow guys in front of your speedsters. They do that on my 50+ team. I line one to the wall and I get a single because the 2 guys in front of me can't run for s**t. They can hit decent but it's one base at a time unless I go yard.

ShortYellowBus

Lead off is best on base percentage. Walks, and slap hitting. Can hit all gaps in the defense. Doesn’t make bad decisions and will take walks even if you’re winning by twenty.

Two is the best hitter on the team. High on base plus slugging percentage.

Three is the guy who gets doubles.

Four and five just have to get the ball in the air into the outfield.

With this formula, you’ll generate the most runs possible.

r8dr_rider

1 - 1C
2- 2C
3 - 4C
4 - 9C when he’s there, skip to 5 when he’s not there
5 - 6 P
6 - 8C
7 - 3C
8 - 7P
9 - 10P
10 - 11C
11 - 12C bat him ahead of 5P
12 - 5P. New last place hitter

Yuengling “America’s oldest beer”. Always give 11C an extra cold beer for hitting behind the runner!!?? Now which number are you or are you just a manager in charge of all these heathens? Sounds like a good group. Go get ‘em.

nice I’m the 1c guy. Base on balls and slap stick over SS all day long. I’ll even out run the grounders. I hate it, wish I can rock it.

Danh1265

Lineups are overrated when you consider the "someone to make fun of" guy might be batting cleanup in the 2nd inning or at some point during the course of the game when it matters much more than the 1st inning. Playing coed, I do like to put the guy I feel has the best "eye" in front of my worst female who's wiling to take 1st if that guy draws a walk. Something to keep in mind

Lineups are overrated when you consider the "someone to make fun of" guy might be batting cleanup in the 2nd inning or at some point during the course of the game when it matters much more than the 1st inning. Playing coed, I do like to put the guy I feel has the best "eye" in front of my worst female who's wiling to take 1st if that guy draws a walk. Something to keep in mind

But lineups are not overrated as you stated in your post that you do use a strategy in placing your hitters in your co-ed line up. If you don't align your best players to hit the most often, meaning in theory those that get on base most often, via hit, walk, hard hit ball that results in an error, you aren't doing justice to your team and not maximizing your opportunities to win. This applies to fun leagues as well as competitive leagues, isn't it more fun the more times that you get to bat?

ShortYellowBus

Assuming you have competent people playing, there’s a winning formula defensively. Infield is obvious. Outfield requires strategy.

Your best athlete plays center field, the strongest arm plays right field and the worst arm of the outfielders plays left field.

If you can figure out who those guys are, your defense will allow less runs.

Assuming you have competent people playing, there’s a winning formula defensively. Infield is obvious. Outfield requires strategy.

Your best athlete plays center field, the strongest arm plays right field and the worst arm of the outfielders plays left field.

If you can figure out who those guys are, your defense will allow less runs.

Original poster was looking for help with his offense, placing proper people in batting order. As to defense, you are correct to make sure you have a strong outfield, but i would put the best athlete on the team at short stop without question whether it is softball or baseball. And to continue your strategy as well as mine, strong up the middle short, second and centerfield, now with the addition of the extra fielder, around 2nd base and/or either side, defensively there is where you should be the strongest.

r8dr_rider

Our D is decent. OF can catch, 8 and 9 can cover. We lack a true SS. He’s an OF that I made SS since he is the best athlete on the team. We had too many OFs.

I’m just trying to tweak this line up so we can get more runners on bases and runs on the board. Everyone seems to think they are home run hitters. But forget about the last 10 pop ups they did.

dunkky

Everyone seems to think they are home run hitters. But forget about the last 10 pop ups they did.

this is why you have to go with stat. people only remember what they did good, but deny to recall what they did bad. Also, you need to reward people who hustle which is overlooked very often in softball. if you are homerun hitter, then you better have high OBP also. there's reason why Josh riley lead off followed by KP. harvey hits 2nd just like KP. 3 powerful hitters but they also are in top in terms of OBP.