Advice on getting from long line drives to homeruns.

sunbkd2014

I need some advice from anyone who has made a transition from hitting long line drives to home runs. I currently swing a Miken Freak Plus 28 oz and I was wondering if I switched to a more end loaded bat it might help. I know that hitting line drives is a good thing but I would like to hit a bomb once in a while.

I am hopeful that there are players out there who can nudge me in the right direction.

:confused:

ExFatboy285

Washed up and Bloated
Learn to cut the ball, if you miss center of the ball when you cut you get crisp liners or grounders, if you miss center when you swing upwards you either pop out or hit a slow chopper.

trnqk7

Extra Hitter
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "learn to cut the ball"? I've not heard that terminology before. Thanks!

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Giving a nice oooooooopppp after contact is key for dropping bombs, once you have that down work on your bat flip.

ExFatboy285

Washed up and Bloated
NO

NO

cutting the ball is hitting down through the ball to put backspin on it. You dont need to chop at it, and cutting it in half it not anywhere near the same effect.

In essence your cutting the ball in half. I didn't mean literally cutting in half, I meant you swing at it like you are. Country is right, the main goal is to put backspin on it, thus giving it carry.

ExFatboy285

Washed up and Bloated
If done right you do not literally chop at the ball with the bat. It is a figure of speech. You swing down at the ball with your hands, but in all reality the bat level is for the most part level. It's not like your actually swinging the bat like an axe.

SoftballDad52

Albino Rhino
I got called out in Senior Softball for chopping a ball into the ground when we were out of HRs. But you can do this without the extreme chopping motion. If you are hitting long line drives, then just aim for the bottom half of the ball. This will definately lower your average because you will pop up or ground out sometimes. I personally like a higher average.

metz225

Addicted to Softballfans
This is how you "cut" a ball. Notice how the ball travels on a line? It's from the back spin. I would rather have my teammates hit the ball like this, than try to hit HRs anytime!

Last edited by a moderator:

metz225

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's a better video of cutting the ball to hit a HR.

Last edited by a moderator:

bird25

34/30 Club #25
This is how you "cut" a ball. Notice how the ball travels on a line? It's from the back spin. I would rather have my teammates hit the ball like this, than try to hit HRs anytime!

If you do this and hit the ball below the center of the ball it will turn into long hrs.