Advice on second base pattern.

12ax7

Im currently playing second and alternating between my a2000 PP05 11.5 TIP and a Boombah Veloci 13inch also TIP. The Wilson plays too small for my liking and is broken in for baseball, and I really dont like the size of the Boombah at all.

Overall Im looking for something in between. I initially looked at a 1781, but forum searches seem to indicate the hand stall will be too big for my hand (size large batting glove). Im currently sniffing around Rawlings Pro206/7 and Pronp6/7 patterns.

Overall for Softball, second base, size large batting glove hands, and TIP. What would be my pros and cons of the 20x vs. the np line?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Party mafia

Im currently playing second and alternating between my a2000 PP05 11.5 TIP and a Boombah Veloci 13inch also TIP. The Wilson plays too small for my liking and is broken in for baseball, and I really dont like the size of the Boombah at all.

Overall Im looking for something in between. I initially looked at a 1781, but forum searches seem to indicate the hand stall will be too big for my hand (size large batting glove). Im currently sniffing around Rawlings Pro206/7 and Pronp6/7 patterns.

Overall for Softball, second base, size large batting glove hands, and TIP. What would be my pros and cons of the 20x vs. the np line?

I appreciate any and all feedback.
Why not look for the Wilson a2000 sp125 in a 12.5 inches. That is a perfect mf glove.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Not to make a comparison between you and my daughter:rolleyes:, but she uses a retail Pro206-6CB at SS and it's a great size for MI softball. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the models you mentioned, although the NP7 I got yesterday is a pretty big glove compared to Anna's 206! For 2B take a look at the Don Morton Pro1000-HC, just a great pattern, basically the same as Anna's 206.

For TIP, the Pro1000 and the Pro206/207 are the better choices, the NP's tend to close more thumb to middle, or even index finger.

12ax7

Thanks Party Mafia, I did look at the sp125's I worry tho about them being similar in the pinky stall to my PP05 which is a little tight for TIP. I deal with it, but would rather it be roomier. That being said, having never handled one, I cant really compare.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
ANNASDAD I appreciate the feedback. And man that NP7 you got yesterday is amazing. Im doing the timbergalze for sure.

Thank you. If I was playing 2B right now, no doubt I'd order a Horween Pro1000, for ME anyhow! I absolutely love playing with the JTan Pro1000 I got from Party Mafia. 206, 207, 1000, NP6......they're all going to work great and be a huge improvement over the 11.5" you're using now!

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Thanks Party Mafia, I did look at the sp125's I worry tho about them being similar in the pinky stall to my PP05 which is a little tight for TIP. I deal with it, but would rather it be roomier. That being said, having never handled one, I cant really compare.
The SP125 works pretty well for TIP IMO

Party mafia

Not to make a comparison between you and my daughter:rolleyes:, but she uses a retail Pro206-6CB at SS and it's a great size for MI softball. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the models you mentioned, although the NP7 I got yesterday is a pretty big glove compared to Anna's 206! For 2B take a look at the Don Morton Pro1000-HC, just a great pattern, basically the same as Anna's 206.

For TIP, the Pro1000 and the Pro206/207 are the better choices, the NP's tend to close more thumb to middle, or even index finger.

Chad still have some in this thread.

http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/september-rggcs-have-arrived.1452568/

I might do a custom 208 in timber in a few years. Lol. I love the timber color on the np7.

jtdiamond

I would just like to second ANNASDAD regarding closure of the NPs. They have an extra notch in the heel which tends to make them break in thumb to middle finger (and be a little flatter through the pocket).

So: I prefer the NP for the double play exchange and the 20X models for overall game play. One other benefit of the NP series is that they have more web options since it sounds like you are going to custom order one.

Hope this helps!
Joel

ybb

i would opt for a 206 for softball for sure. np's pockets are too shallow. that said, 200 models have extremely tight pinky stalls (at least mine did) that made it literally painful to use TIP - and this is coming from a guy with tiny hands. that said - it has since loosened up for me and is comfortable now

12ax7

I really appreciate everyones feedback so far. Currently Im torn between a pronp6 and a pro206. I was leaning more heavily toward the 206 as someone recently posted a video where Rawlings was touting the 20x line as being specifically geared toward finger shift TIP. But ybb's statement has me on the fence.

Maybe I can talk the ball and chain in to his and hers 206 and np6's, but she'd probably do pink laces just to spite me.

ybb

to add a bit of clarity as to why it was painful to go TIP in my 208, i ordered it with narrow fit, so the edge of the binding pressed down on my pinky knuckle.... and because the leather comes so incredibly stiff there was no give. eventually the leather on binding and trim softened up and it is now fine to wear TIP. if u wear your glove with a regular fit this is probably a non issue... i just thought it was some info i should pass along to help you make an informed decision

mpk

Extra Hitter
Another vote for the Don Morton's Pro1000. I gamed mine at shortstop this season and found it nearly perfect.. Coming from a baseball glove, I bet you'll find a 12-12.25" glove more comfortable than something bigger.

FYI, the pro206 and pro1000 are the same pattern. See this Rawlings blog post from a few years ago: http://rawlingsgear.blogspot.com/2014/06/breaking-down-new-patterns-in-rawlings.html. They just renamed the pro1000 to fit in with their model nomenclature. I think Morton's is the only place left you can get a pro1000 besides when SBF does a special run of them like the 13" they did a couple years ago.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
12ax7 - Just noticed your handle. Had many tube amps in the past. Just like classic gloves, there's nothing like them. Similar business models as well with small companies producing modern versions of classic designs.

@mpk - There have been a few threads here on the PRO200 verses PRO1000 comparo. I just reread them and there are many conflicting statements. I currently have 2 12 PRO200's, a 12.25 PRO1000, and a 12 PRO1000. None of them feel the same!

MaverickAH

Right now, my personal recommendation would be a Vinci RV1923-22. I just picked one up & it's a fantastic value. It can be mentioned in the same sentence as a stock A2000 or HOH at almost half the price if you have the Labor Day discount code (20% off w/code). It's a great glove for softball infield. It's a modified open back so wearing it TIP is no problem.

Another glove that's been on my radar is the Brett Bros Hall of Fame Series ML1250. My limited experience with Brett gloves has been good so I have little doubt that this glove is a winner at 80% the cost of an A2000 or HOH.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
OP should buy that NP7 from ANNASDAD. If you don't like it, reselling won't be an issue as long as it isn't damaged (all the September RGGC NP7's sold out within a day or two from release).

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Vinci 22 series leather is not like a2000 or hoh more like Wilson a450/800 and a Rawlings xle/ liberty advanced

MaverickAH

When have you last seen a 22 Series glove? I bet that it's not recently. The leather they use has changed & is much improved. It is in A2000/HOH territory...…….

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Ok, I haven’t touched a 22 series in about a year or so, this was a custom I ordered a couple years ago, supposed to be the newer 22 series leather, asked for white and got this grey/bone colored glove, leather is ok, just flimsy, internals bad, lacing thin and the welting is plastic and thin, this was my 3rd Vinci, I had an original black 22 series ab7400, loved the pattern, mod trap web etc, but got floppy in 3 months gave it to a little leaguer and bought a black maroon ab74 leather better glove but same issue, internals where bad flimsy, better leather but sold it and went back to using my a2000’s that was 4-5 years ago, so when a teammate was a rep convinced me to try the new 22 series and how much it better it was I decided too, bad idea, used it for some catch and there was no way I was going to even use it for a game, tried selling it on here to guy who asked me for a refund after having it for a weekend for all the same reasons I didn’t want it, so I ended up giving to a guy on my league night who uses it once a week and it is flimsy as well, all I did was use the Vinci conditioner that came with it, mainly to soften the hard brittle laces, listen I wanted to like Vinci, the company etc, and as a once a week hour player they are decent gloves, but to say the 22 series are the same quality as hoh or a200 is wrong, Optimus or whatever the high end kip maybe, if the 22 series is night and day different now than mine 2 years ago, I’m wrong, but everybody would have one and not be buying a2000’s and hoh’s, there is a reason people buy those gloves and not the 22 series, I haven’t bashed the higher end, just stating my opinion, be honest is all, yes you like the company and the gloves and their quality, but steering people to something you think is better when it really isn’t is wrong, just to stroke the brand/ increase sales, I don’t think your a rep, maybe you are, then you should be banned, it is a forum for people to research, when you mislead them like I was, it pisses me off

Attachments

• 6081AAFE-70F2-46EA-B703-A5118BDDF11A.jpeg
    6081AAFE-70F2-46EA-B703-A5118BDDF11A.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 26590353-F12E-4288-8912-3CFD697BE75D.jpeg
    26590353-F12E-4288-8912-3CFD697BE75D.jpeg
    968.2 KB · Views: 21
  • A2C0D169-BE33-46E7-9589-8BB491DE9E26.jpeg
    A2C0D169-BE33-46E7-9589-8BB491DE9E26.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is gonna get good.

I got quite the tongue-lashing for making a joke about Vinci quality, you're gonna get absolutely reamed for having an informed opinion. Even though I agree with it.

Country469

I don't understand how yalls gloves end up that way, I have a vinci custom y web from like 4 year ago that is still too stiff for my liking.

jtdiamond

Because this thread has split -- I'd like to add the following question: where do your team's second basemen usually play? My favorite team has been playing around with defensive formations and curious about shifts and other maneuvers.

Country469

2nd baseman can play deeper than the other spots. Esp if decent arm. In the grass is find, if they CHARGE the ball. Playing back and playing the lip is bad news. This is also assuming you're using a 5 man (cuz only stone age teams don't).

jtdiamond

This is really interesting! None of my teams play 5 man. Maybe it's the nature of the league but almost all outs are fly balls to the outfield. Having another infielder we would yield way more runs.

Country469

Fly balls are caught in a 3 man and a 4 man. Its line drives to gaps that matter, not lazy fly balls. If your OF'er is camped under ball in a 4 man, 100% it woulda been caught in a 3 man.