ASA After a runner crosses the committment line, can he crosses back, then to safeline?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
This is for slow pitch, where a committment line and safe line are used. If a runner crosses the committment line, s/he is committed to go home. But can the runner cross back the committment line toward 3B, then re-cross the committment line then over the safe line before the throw to HP?

I had thought the runner cannot come back at all, and would be called out if s/he crosses the committment back.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a commitment line in ASA rules so whatever your local rule is the only one that matters. From a logic point of view and the way I've seen it played around here, the commitment line only means that you cannot be safe at 3B. You can do whatever you want as long as no one is trying to tag you and still be legal as long as you stay in live ball territory. The example I always use is you can run from second to the left field foul pole to third base, if no one has the ball trying to tag you it's legal. So the only thing that would matter is did the ball reach the fielder at the plate before runner made it to the safe line?

niteshadow

Addicted to Softballfans
I think it sounds like you could do that. But I don't really believe that's there's any hard rules set in stone for it. I believe it's all according to what's right for the league.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a commitment line in ASA rules so whatever your local rule is the only one that matters. From a logic point of view and the way I've seen it played around here, the commitment line only means that you cannot be safe at 3B. You can do whatever you want as long as no one is trying to tag you and still be legal as long as you stay in live ball territory. The example I always use is you can run from second to the left field foul pole to third base, if no one has the ball trying to tag you it's legal. So the only thing that would matter is did the ball reach the fielder at the plate before runner made it to the safe line?

Actually, in ASA Senior Slow Pitch, they do have a commitment line. Often, leagues will use the senior running rules to accommodate a safer, more laid-back level of play.

Once a player's entire foot has crossed the commitment line, the player is committed to home plate. They may not, under any circumstances, cross back over the line to return to 3rd base. If they do so, they are automatically out.

That's kind of the whole point of a commitment line. ;)

However, it'd be helpful to know which association's rules you're asking about. In NSA, if a player has to return to third base to tag up on a caught fly ball after crossing the commitment line, they're allowed to do so. They are not allowed to do so in ASA.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
Actually, in ASA Senior Slow Pitch, they do have a commitment line. Often, leagues will use the senior running rules to accommodate a safer, more laid-back level of play.

Once a player's entire foot has crossed the commitment line, the player is committed to home plate. They may not, under any circumstances, cross back over the line to return to 3rd base. If they do so, they are automatically out.

That's kind of the whole point of a commitment line. ;)

However, it'd be helpful to know which association's rules you're asking about. In NSA, if a player has to return to third base to tag up on a caught fly ball after crossing the commitment line, they're allowed to do so. They are not allowed to do so in ASA.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot.