ASA After play at 1B, is the entire base (white and orage) playable?

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
On the initial play at 1B, the BR needs to touch only orange and fielder only the white part of the safebase. But after the play, or if no play at 1B, does the entire base become playable by both fielder and runner?

That is, if the BR is already safe at 1B then takes a few steps toward 2B. I understand the BR can touch either white or orange, as the entire bag becomes a big base. So say a throw comes to 1B, is the fielder still only allowed to touch white or can s/he touch the entire big base?

Also, after the play and pitcher has the ball. Can the runner at 1B use the orange base, or can only use the white part from then on?

Thanks.

Last edited:

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
It becomes one big base. Both the offense and defense may use either side after the initial play. Rule 8, section 2, paragraph M.

EsqUmp

Manager
I would just caution you that there are circumstances that permit the use of "the other base" by the batter-runner and the defense.

But as stated, almost all associations that use the stupid double base say that the double base becomes "one big base" after the batter-runner reaches the base.

TEX1959

Addicted to Softballfans
if people that played 1st base knew how to play it, there would be little or no need for the double base

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I would just caution you that there are circumstances that permit the use of "the other base" by the batter-runner and the defense.

But as stated, almost all associations that use the stupid double base say that the double base becomes "one big base" after the batter-runner reaches the base.

It should be noted that USSSA is not one such association.

jrb518

Addicted to Softballfans
Orange base is only there for beating out the throw to first. You round first and take a few steps towards second white base all day. Yer out if you don't stay on the white bag. Same goes for the fielder white bag all day none of this orange bag crap.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
It becomes one big base. Both the offense and defense may use either side after the initial play. Rule 8, section 2, paragraph M.

Orange base is only there for beating out the throw to first. You round first and take a few steps towards second white base all day. Yer out if you don't stay on the white bag. Same goes for the fielder white bag all day none of this orange bag crap.

We have two different answers here. Which should it be?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
We have two different answers here. Which should it be?

The first response you received from eddieq is the closes to the correct response for ASA (which is under what your question was posted).

The words he should drop is "initial play". Any designation of the use of a specific portion of this base in ASA applies solely to making a play on the batter-runner whether it is the initial play or not.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans
The first response you received from eddieq is the closes to the correct response for ASA (which is under what your question was posted).

The words he should drop is "initial play". Any designation of the use of a specific portion of this base in ASA applies solely to making a play on the batter-runner whether it is the initial play or not.
Thanks. But not sure if I quite understand completely, about dropping "initial play".

On the initial play the orange is for BR and white for fielder.

After that it's the entire bag, even for this same BR isn't it? That is, say the initial play is over and the BR is safe, then takes a few steps towards 2B while the 1B fielder has the ball but didn't throw to pitcher yet. The 1B fielder then turns around to chase the BR back, is the entire bag usable by the BR to get back?

After the play the pitcher has the ball. The BR becomes R1 at 1B. The next hit is a flyball that is caught. The R1 who left 1B then runs back while the 1B fielder runs toward 1B for the throw. Can both R1 and 1B fielder use the entire bag?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks. But not sure if I quite understand completely, about dropping "initial play".

On the initial play the orange is for BR and white for fielder.

After that it's the entire bag, even for this same BR isn't it? That is, say the initial play is over and the BR is safe, then takes a few steps towards 2B while the 1B fielder has the ball but didn't throw to pitcher yet. The 1B fielder then turns around to chase the BR back, is the entire bag usable by the BR to get back?

After the play the pitcher has the ball. The BR becomes R1 at 1B. The next hit is a flyball that is caught. The R1 who left 1B then runs back while the 1B fielder runs toward 1B for the throw. Can both R1 and 1B fielder use the entire bag?

It means drop the verbiage. Take it out of the equation, it has NOTHING, NOTHING to do with the rule. That's as plain as it can get.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Irish is right. My bad. It's always "one big base". There are specific rules about who can use which side when there is a play on the batter-runner, but it's always one big base.

alberts35

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the orange part of the bag is only for the runner to use during his at bat....never to be utilized by a fielder, otherwise it should no longer be orange, it would just be a larger white first base if the defense could also use it to their advantage

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
if people that played 1st base knew how to play it, there would be little or no need for the double base

Maybe but Friday night my wife was playing first and was very clearly where she was suppose to be. She was on the front corner and stretched toward the short stop. Girl not only didn't use the orange safety bag but somehow made herself slam into my wife. Runners are stupid also.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the orange part of the bag is only for the runner to use during his at bat....never to be utilized by a fielder, otherwise it should no longer be orange, it would just be a larger white first base if the defense could also use it to their advantage

After all the answers on this thread, you still get it wrong? Why even post if you don't KNOW the correct answer?