Akadema Glove

Mongo23

Manager
Anyone here use an Akadema glove? My girl has a coupon for half off a custom glove and wants to get me one as an Xmas gift. Problem is I can't get my hand into her glove and I can't return a custom. Do these things all run small?

Jchap

I have heard horror stories about their custom glove service. Maybe someone will chime in with their personal experience.

Emperor

Star Player
I've gone this route before with them, and its awful. While their stock gloves aren't bad, their customs are trash. As Phantom mentioned, it SAYS 7-11 weeks, but its closer to 4-5 months to get them (no lie, ordered in first week of November, got it 2nd week of April after many lies and put offs over the phone). Molding started peeling right away and was strung with the cheapest lace they could find. Bled color right onto my finger, no oil/gel even applied. This was their "top of the line" Torino glove. I donated mine to Cleveland Indians Charities after I relaced it and blacked out my name. Leather was solid, and thats about it.

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
Ordered one I want to say three years ago for my son for Xmas. It was a nightmare. A lot of run around and miss to no information that after 12 weeks, I cancelled the order. Had to go through my credit card to cancel and THEN I got calls on a regular basis from the company. Got a full credit from my CC and ordered some custom bats instead.

mossman

That's how we dooze it!
I bought a custom off a board member, couldn't beat the price! It definitely is snug. Won't be wearing a batting glove underneath. Leather is stiff and seems to be higher quality.

Emperor

Star Player
I guess the moral is, if you're looking for a deal and don't mind some very limited web and color options, next to no glove shell options, next to zero customer service, an extended wait time of varying length and you're ok with whatever glove you actually receive vs. what you ordered, go for it.

Think on this though: there's a reason they send out 40% off custom coupons in June and 50% every October. If their gloves were THAT good, they wouldn't be willing to take $180 on a $360 glove seven months out of the year.

bigmac25

Extra Hitter
I guess the moral is, if you're looking for a deal and don't mind some very limited web and color options, next to no glove shell options, next to zero customer service, an extended wait time of varying length and you're ok with whatever glove you actually receive vs. what you ordered, go for it.

Think on this though: there's a reason they send out 40% off custom coupons in June and 50% every October. If their gloves were THAT good, they wouldn't be willing to take $180 on a $360 glove seven months out of the year.
******************Thread Winner*******************

Rallycap

Star Player
Dang I'm glad I scooped mine off a board member, instead of going through the process. I love my Akadema H-Web 13.5" kip. Stiff leather at first that broke in at a decent rate. I had to put a little bit of work in and was rewarded. Perfect universal position Slowpitch glove

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I think the Prosoft 13" is one of the best looking gloves out there. I love the web and colors (tan/chocolate). So much so that I bought one, despite being leery of a "game ready" glove. On one hand I can't complain, it was definitely game ready. Much too soft for my taste (and I don't like stiff gloves) and the fingerstall lining was cheap fabric. I played a little catch and used it in one doubleheader and knew it wasn't for me. Really feels like a $50 glove. It's fine for a once-a-week beer league glove but I just wasn't impressed.