Also need help on helmet.

thejuggster

Dying of WTP Disease
My DD moved travel teams couple weeks back. She got badazz Schutt batting helmet with uni's. Her new team will also get her helmet so I decided since I screwed up couple older helmets trying to paint them that I would take it to a local airbrush guy. The guy must have been on crack or meth. I asked for her high school colors-royal blue, I got navy blue. Asked for white facemask and not to paint hardware, he painted damn facemask ON the helmet. Didn't even removed it from helmet, so there was over spray everywhere. Hardware was put back on helmet still wet...its a hot mess now.

I got my money back but now I have a f'ed up looking helmet.

I decided to sand helmet down and I would give it another shot since its already a mess. As of right now its sanded down with 600 grit sand paper. I didn't go all the way down to plastic.

Where do I need to go from there? sanding? what kind of paint? I don't have airbrush machine so it will have to be rattle canned.

Facemask? since paint was still wet I used a lil orange paint remover stuff on it. Came off pretty easy. I think facemask is rubber coated, am I right? and what do I use to make it white....

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
600 grit is pretty good. The prep work looks good to me. If you are going to rattle can it, I would advise against it. I would take it to a local body shop and have them paint both pieces. They have a color deck to choose from so you get the colors you want.

During the spring we always get at least one football helmet or motorcycle helmet that comes into our shop in a lot worse shape than your pics.

If the facemask is rubber coated, try sanding it down to bare metal with 180 grit and work your way up to 600, or you can plasti-dip the mask part yourself and save some $ there.