Alternative to Wilson SP125?

Flash1

I will be playing a lot of 3B this upcoming season and was trying to get my hands on a Wilson SP125. Not having any luck, since this model is discontinued. In your opinion, what is the next best option for this position? Thank you!

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
1799. Playing third base imo go up 1/4” not down. If you played short or second I’d say TF21 or 1781. And tbh there isn’t much of a difference in size between the newer A2000 1799 pattern and SB125. Length is the same. The subtle differences that you will notice on the 1799 are: mid finger lacing, the wider handstall, a little bit wider/larger palm area and the fact that that the 1799 naturally wants to close more thumb to ring/pinky where the SB125 naturally wants to close more thumb to middle/index finger.

Now if you jump into the A2K market the 1799 is a completely different beast than the A2000. The dies being used for the 1799 are different in Japan. They are using a true 12.75” dye. The glove just measures and plays longer than the A2000 not too mention they don’t have that goofy extra knot in the web and other small differences. More of a traditional outfield pattern (even for softball) just because of the shape. The newer A2000 1799 pattern is a horrible baseball outfield pattern (pains me to say that) and is more suited as a general all purpose slow pitch glove.

Flash1

Thanks for your reply. I have a A2000 SS 1799 and for the most part, play OF. I will occasionally play IF, mostly 2B/3B and feel the glove is way too narrow for IF. Last night, a hard-liner came my way and hit the palm. Is this an accurate statement? The glove being too narrow? Does anyone else share this same opinion?

NYC

Swag on 100.
Thanks for your reply. I have a A2000 SS 1799 and for the most part, play OF. I will occasionally play IF, mostly 2B/3B and feel the glove is way too narrow for IF. Last night, a hard-liner came my way and hit the palm. Is this an accurate statement? The glove being too narrow? Does anyone else share this same opinion?
The 1799 is not narrow at all.
2019-glove-guide-wilson-a2k-1799.jpg

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I would say if your are using the traditional way it would close more narrow, thumb to middle, if you are using two in the pinkie shift it plays much wider, closing thumb to pinkie, that’s how I use it and it is a fantastic all around softball glove

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
1799 is one of the wider pockets for gloves on the market imo. If you feel you need wider...no offense I’d say practice more. Or do what some others have done and get whatever glove you want and relace the web super loose if you need something wider (which brings a whole other set of issues when laces start breaking) or have a custom web made. But, let’s be real. You stated the ball hit you in the palm. And it was a hard liner. To me that stuff is gonna happen no matter what glove from time to time. More of issue of poor reaction, poor hand eye coordination, being caught off guard, maybe the ball gad some movement. $#!t happens. I wouldn’t be looking for a new glove cause of it lol. Maybe it is simply a case of a poor break in/shaping of the glove. Or the glove is beat up to point it is loosing its rigidity and needs to be rebuilt. There is a point when new and during the early break in where the ball hits the palm and pocket area and want to squirt up and out the top of the web. Then it gets broke in and becomes a vacuum. Then starts to lose it’s perfect synergy and needs some tlc. Or it is just broke in all funky. I’d be curious to see pics of your surrender gamer.

Flash1

I broke the glove in two in the pinky, traditional catch only. It is rather narrow. See post above.

1799 is one of the wider pockets for gloves on the market imo. If you feel you need wider...no offense I’d say practice more. Or do what some others have done and get whatever glove you want and relace the web super loose if you need something wider (which brings a whole other set of issues when laces start breaking) or have a custom web made. But, let’s be real. You stated the ball hit you in the palm. And it was a hard liner. To me that stuff is gonna happen no matter what glove from time to time. More of issue of poor reaction, poor hand eye coordination, being caught off guard, maybe the ball gad some movement. $#!t happens. I wouldn’t be looking for a new glove cause of it lol. Maybe it is simply a case of a poor break in/shaping of the glove. Or the glove is beat up to point it is loosing its rigidity and needs to be rebuilt. There is a point when new and during the early break in where the ball hits the palm and pocket area and want to squirt up and out the top of the web. Then it gets broke in and becomes a vacuum. Then starts to lose it’s perfect synergy and needs some tlc. Or it is just broke in all funky. I’d be curious to see pics of your surrender gamer.

Flash1

To reiterate, I caught the liner, but just never had it happen before. I was told that my particular model plays narrow from a glove guru, was just wondering if others shared that same opinion.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
To get wider than a 1799, you are going to have to go to a dedicated softball glove, not a baseball glove (and yes, the 1799 is a w i d e baseball glove). Maybe a Wilson SP13 or a 13" Nokona?

mvfjet

Part Time Player
The new sp125 collection that is posted on the sbf Instagram is fire.

I like the medium brown and dark brown. Hard choice. My buddy just got a SP13 and wishes he went with the SP135. I'm about to send Chad a PM about these new SP125's.

One of my teammates had a custom 1799 12.75" at the tournament over the weekend. I thought it looked like a small pocket for a softball glove, so you guys are saying the sp125 is even narrower? I asked Chad to compare it to a HOH 504 and he said the 504 is deeper and wider.

Last edited:

Party mafia

I like the medium brown and dark brown. Hard choice. My buddy just got a SP13 and wishes he went with the SP135. I'm about to send Chad a PM about these new SP125's.

One of my teammates had a custom 1799 12.75" at the tournament over the weekend. I thought it looked like a small pocket for a softball glove, so you guys are saying the sp125 is even narrower? I asked Chad to compare it to a HOH 504 and he said the 504 is deeper and wider.
The sp125 was designed specifically for sb.

CircleL

Starting Player
I had the first SP125 and my buddy has a PP504 and the SP125 was bigger everywhere and my OT1799 is bigger than the SP125 I had in ever dimension.