Am I Captain Oblivious?

Our NSA rep said something similar to the OP. He claims that a Worth rep said that 80% of the bats they sell are doctored in some way (although that included rolling too). I think that's a little extreme.

It may depend on the area. I'd say in our league (low level), it'd be somewhere around 10% or less. Our team has zero shaved bats and we have the lack of HRs to prove it :D. There's a couple teams that I suspect COULD have a shaved bat or two. The reason for this is because one day we play them and a few of their players have a hard time hitting the ball 200 ft. The next time we play them they are going 300+ ft. I know people fluctuate a lot but it's a pretty drastic change and it hits multiple players on their teams all at once (nothing to do with weather either).

There's a couple others who can really bomb them but I've seen them do it with my own bat so they're legit. And if they're legit, everyone else hitting bombs may very well be legit as well. I cannot say for certain anyone swings glass in my league, and even if my assumptions are true then about 12% of players in my league are. That's quite a difference from 50+%

Ben_Johnson41

The Gr8est Show on Dirt™
There are many altered bats at any given tournament, but a lot of the time people are just crying about the other team's bats because they hit harder or are more fundamentally sound in their swings and get better results. The old bats get nasty when well broken in, so when you pair that with a relatively strong guy (or girl for that matter) with good mechanics and bat speed, you'll see some show bombs or some very fast moving base hits. When you see little guys with no bat speed and terrible mechanics hitting bombs with shiny bats, then you should question the situation, but otherwise it is just a guessing game.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
A lot of our guys are too cheap to buy a bat period, let alone spend extra for shaving.

Cowan256

Starting Player
I would've agreed with the 2/3 a couple years back but it seems now like the combo of the .52s and ABI shells has either (A) reduced the shaving or (B) made them less noticeable. That said a lot of the old stamped glass is out on league nights. Rolling is still very common.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Are guys really still shaving ASA only bats? Most are already fragile and plenty hot.

Alot of guys don't understand the new stuff, still rolling and cutting.

I'm starting to think it doesn't male as big of a difference in the new bats though and 52's definitely help.

johnny2722

Addicted to Softballfans
Its pretty bad in our league and the guys that swing them are pretty open about it. I just don't get how you can feel good about yourself when you hit shot with a worked bat.

Playmaka37

The Professor
I only know of 4 of us in South FL that will not, have not, and never will use a shaved bat. Almost everyone tells me....."You are cheating yourself by not swing shaved, everyone is doing it, but you."

I will continue to never swing it......as I have said for years..."Talent over Engineering."

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, you're either extremely naive or play in an extremely honest area.

As for the OP, I've played in quite a few different states and and it definitely does vary regionally, or from area to area.

More common in some areas than others so it does tent to be contagious..
Kinda like when you play a team that is notorious for it. I think about half the guys on teams like that never would have swung glass if they weren't playing with a bunch of dudes that do. It's the same way in different areas.

But overall, I'd say the actual number is around 10-15%. 1 or 2 per team on average.. Some teams where almost all swing glass, and some that don't have anyone that swings them.
Unless you're in Northern Alabama I'd say that's extremely conservative.

That many shaved, no. Rolled, yes.

Way more than that rolled. I know of at least 4 guys that keep their rollers in their truck in case they buy a bat from a dealer/truck at the field. Not only do they do all their own bats, but they'll do bats for practically anyone there.

Most leagues and tournies here hit UTrips and haven't switched to the 52 yet, and I'd say 66% is high, but 25% is low. If someone said that 66% of bags had at least one shaved bat in them, I wouldn't argue with that. I would say that around 40% swing shaved most of the time though. It's very big to "have one in case the other team does" though. Then you get to pull it out if they hit the ball ahrder than you do. :rolleyes:

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
Even if I did swing dirty I couldn't hit a hr so I just save the money and buy little Debbie snack cakes

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Unless you're in Northern Alabama I'd say that's extremely conservative.

Way more than that rolled. I know of at least 4 guys that keep their rollers in their truck in case they buy a bat from a dealer/truck at the field. Not only do they do all their own bats, but they'll do bats for practically anyone there.

Most leagues and tournies here hit UTrips and haven't switched to the 52 yet, and I'd say 66% is high, but 25% is low. If someone said that 66% of bags had at least one shaved bat in them, I wouldn't argue with that. I would say that around 40% swing shaved most of the time though. It's very big to "have one in case the other team does" though. Then you get to pull it out if they hit the ball ahrder than you do. :rolleyes:

Describes my area best. I don't worry about it anymore though, no way of determining without being told.

After seeing a 5'10ish 140ish hit a 52 out on 300' fields with what I know was a clean but hot Mercy, it's really hard to tell. He does have consistently great mechanics, always hits well, swings violently, and has an arm that snap a catcher's glove back from a 300' fence (infielders watch to male sure they're not in his firing path). I'm convinced he's Bill Brasky reincarnated and stuck in a twerp's body. But I imagine everyone thinks he swings glass cause they wouldn't pay attention until after the ball is hit, then look at who hit it, and know that bean pole is swinging glass to hit like that.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
The Nor Cal USSSA state director told me in email that he believes around 2/3 of the bats in tournament play are altered but testing takes to much time and costs money.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
The Nor Cal USSSA state director told me in email that he believes around 2/3 of the bats in tournament play are altered but testing takes to much time and costs money.

I completely believe that but the money lost is cause guys will just go to another association that doesn't test lol.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I would say 2/3 of PLAYERS swing shaved regularly. But not every bat in their bag is shaved and many swinging shaved are borrowing the shaved bat. I do not believe that 2/3 of BATS are shaved.

(and the 2/3 of players number is probably low. probably 3/4.)

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say 2/3 of PLAYERS swing shaved regularly. But not every bat in their bag is shaved and many swinging shaved are borrowing the shaved bat. I do not believe that 2/3 of BATS are shaved.

(and the 2/3 of players number is probably low. probably 3/4.)

There are some weird stories when you play as low as I do. A gangly guy I used to play against I thought was someone's relative they had to bring to the field with them (struck out swinging, the whole 9), turns out he had the money and was the sponsor. The following year he buys team bats, and buys two comps and has them shaved, and buys an Easton CV12. He bought reissue Recoil and CNT+ for the comps. It was crazy. He was clearly just listening to the wrong people.

Dude doesn't even play anymore. He hit a homerun once, and that was all it took. He'd basically do anything after (besides work and learn about proper mechanics and equipment) to hit another one. He doesn't play anymore, but he had at least one more shopping spree like that. Bought a comp or two and then some random singlewall or metal bat again.