Am I leaving something on the table by swinging this old bat?

glend123

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't bought a new bat in a LONG time. Probably 10 years or so. My bat is a 27.5 Worth jeff hall 120 from 2007 or so. Are the new bats much better than this?
We are using .375 .40 cor balls.

Last edited:

blakcherry329

If the balls are harder and the bat is legal, you probably aren't losing that much performance. Imo, if you like the way a bat feels, you'll hit well with it(as opposed to a newer bat that you bought just because). this is a general statement. lots of factors to take into account.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
That's what I thought, but half the bats in the league are older bats and they don't check any of them.
So if it's illegal does that mean it's hotter?
Just because they don't check it, doesn't make it legal.
Also, even if "Everybody else is doing it" it is still cheating

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
That's a really different twist on the term "cheating". Cheating yourself maybe, or cheating the bat manufacturer out of a new sale is closer to the truth. But if it feels comfortable, go with it if not checking.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
If your league allows it go ahead and swing it, the bat will only be illegal in sanctioned play so take your blood pressure medication people. Once it's broken in it is just as good as any current bat. That was one of my favorite bats of all time.

glend123

Addicted to Softballfans
If your league allows it go ahead and swing it, the bat will only be illegal in sanctioned play so take your blood pressure medication people. Once it's broken in it is just as good as any current bat. That was one of my favorite bats of all time.
OK, thanks. That's what I was hoping, it's just that I see a lot of balls coming off the bats in our league like rockets. From the outfield I can't tell what bats they're using, all I know is there is a lot of line drives hitting the fence on the fly. I haven't seen that in this league, but I'm not playing regularly anymore.