Another ASA Bat Question

dblomgren4

Banned User
I know one is a two piece and one is a one piece, but I am looking for feedback from someone who has swung both and could help me out.
I am wondering which is the better all around bat?

SCN8 vs. JHMUT98 (Red & Yellow)

RadCon10

Hibernating Up North
It's which ever one fits your swing better, but I think most people will say the JHMUT > SCN8

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
Get them both, hit a couple rounds of BP with each. Keep the one that you like best. ONLY way to tell.

I had a 27.5oz MUTJHA & put at least 500 hits on and it, had at least that many on it when I got it. It never had the distance of my top Demarini's, SCN9, or my 250 Recoil. I've never swung a SCN8 but it's supposed to be real close to the SCN9.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Something to keep in mind with the MUTJHA, the handle is thicker than normal. It's solid bat with good sweetspot and distance but I didn't like the handle and swapped it for a reap2 with an unusually large knob :mad:

Couple other things, mine was overweight which I liked but not everyone does and I felt more 2pc action through impact than I ever have with floppy noodle Demarini's :rolleyes: Not vibration or anything negative, just action for lack of better terms. For reference I haven't felt any flex or action on the .12 or the swagger.

gfmotorsports

Addicted to Softballfans
Get them both, hit a couple rounds of BP with each. Keep the one that you like best. ONLY way to tell.

I had a 27.5oz MUTJHA & put at least 500 hits on and it, had at least that many on it when I got it. It never had the distance of my top Demarini's, SCN9, or my 250 Recoil. I've never swung a SCN8 but it's supposed to be real close to the SCN9.

agreed! i had a few "high end bats" and they just were nothing special. so its all about your swing and what you like. cnt is nice and mutated is really nice. so get both LOL

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Never swung a Mutant, but have read frequently that the Mutant has a telescoping issue at the connection piece. Would be similar to the 'wobble' or 'click' in the SCN9 that will get the bat banned at a lot of tournaments. No such banning issues with the SCN8 other than if it failed compression testing. If you're only playing local league, it probably wouldn't matter.

Ditto on the swing preference. I prefer balanced bats, and the SCN8 is VERY balanced. My 30 feels like a 28, and absolutely smokes the ball. I think SCN8 would be much more durable, IMO

Joker

Never swung a Mutant, but have read frequently that the Mutant has a telescoping issue at the connection piece. Would be similar to the 'wobble' or 'click' in the SCN9 that will get the bat banned at a lot of tournaments. No such banning issues with the SCN8 other than if it failed compression testing. If you're only playing local league, it probably wouldn't matter.

Ditto on the swing preference. I prefer balanced bats, and the SCN8 is VERY balanced. My 30 feels like a 28, and absolutely smokes the ball. I think SCN8 would be much more durable, IMO

not even close to the same thing

Rmc1981

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the 8 but I also like balanced bats. On the other hand, I have an og mutant that is a great bat. It's the black and yellow one. It's balanced rather than endloaded like the jhall you're asking about. You may try that one just for a reference.

vlcmstn_az

Manager
Something to keep in mind with the MUTJHA, the handle is thicker than normal. It's solid bat with good sweetspot and distance but I didn't like the handle and swapped it for a reap2 with an unusually large knob :mad:

Couple other things, mine was overweight which I liked but not everyone does and I felt more 2pc action through impact than I ever have with floppy noodle Demarini's :rolleyes: Not vibration or anything negative, just action for lack of better terms. For reference I haven't felt any flex or action on the .12 or the swagger.

These are two of the stiffest bats Demarini makes. They are 2 piece bats, but they don't feel like it at all. The Mutant is not designed to have a one piece feel.

Edit: And I agree that the handle is too thick on the Mutant. That's one of the main reasons that I got rid of mine. Just didn't feel right.

Last edited:

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I know but people who haven't swung them will still call them flexy because they heard demarini's are flexy....